BCM Bench Programming

kenjohn1204

Original poster
Dec 25, 2021
Houston
Hi, so I recently got a VCX Nano (USB) model to do bench programming of Ecu, Bcm, and radios. I built a hardness with what I thought was the property connections. My question that when I try to program the bcm. I get a “naodrui” communication error. I setup everything properly and have established that there is communication with the tech2win software, VCX Nano and the tis2000 software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you tried communicating with an actual vehicle? It could be a communication or driver issue on the computer. I know a couple of guys here tried the Nano and were problematic just go get the software working.

Reactions: kenjohn1204

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
have established that there is communication with the tech2win software, VCX Nano and the tis2000 software

Does this mean you have read data from the module(s) connected by your bench harness? And what modules have you tried this with? I do not have any experience with the VCX Nano but have a pretty good knowledge of SAE J1850 VPW (serial data) communications.

kenjohn1204

Original poster
Dec 25, 2021
Houston
Does this mean you have read data from the module(s) connected by your bench harness? And what modules have you tried this with? I do not have any experience with the VCX Nano but have a pretty good knowledge of SAE J1850 VPW (serial data) communications.
So in the tech2win software. I was able to pull up the bcm information. Yet I haven’t used it inside a vehicle. Unfortunately I do not have access to a vehicle. I was trying to do strictly off vehicle programming.

Reactions: TJBaker57

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Unless you have already done so and just forgot to mention it, you may find some *** Useful Information, Diagrams and Imagery of all the Gear in action as "Proof of Concept" in this On Topic Thread:

If you are willing to do so, It would be helpful if you would post the story of your experiences of how you created your Harnessing along with the Wiring Schematics you have been following so we can look for any discrepancies.

@Bill Reid , @Mooseman, @m.mcmillen, myself and perhaps a few others here at GMTN have successfully 'Plowed this Field' so to speak... but not without overcoming some difficulties with a few 'hiccups' in development occurring along the way.

Good Luck

*** This Link takes you to a 64 Page PDF of all the possible programmable GM Modules for their Passenger and Truck Series from 1993-2008:

Attachments

• gm_reprogrammable_modules(2).pdf
    137.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Reactions: azswiss

kenjohn1204

Original poster
Dec 25, 2021
Houston
Thanks so much guys, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was running both the tech2win software and the tis2000 at the same time. Once I only ran the tis2000 I was able to program the bcm.

Now I have a second question, how can I read the vin number off the bcm?

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You should Download, Save and Use "The Tech 2 PATHS Bible" linked below as a reference document PDF as it Lists ALL of the Step By Steps for using the Tech 2 in GM Diagnostics... Alphabetically Organized for ease of use:

Attachments

• TECH2 Paths.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Mooseman

korn

Jan 3, 2022
Warwick, New York
I just got a 2009 Envoy and joined this site today. Just wondering what's in the BCM you're looking at? Just wondering as most of my experience is on pre OBDII or custom EFI ECU's. Not too familiar with factory modules.

I did some simple tunes on my older blazer but only on the ECM/PCM. I use HPTuners and dumped the Envoy's ECM already to look around. It wont do any other module so I'm looking at the VCX nano now.

I have to replace my SAS sensor but my Foxwell scan tool wont do it. I guess the ABS is the next module to look at. hopefully the VCX is good for that too.

would like to hear your results...

kenjohn1204

Original poster
Dec 25, 2021
Houston
I just got a 2009 Envoy and joined this site today. Just wondering what's in the BCM you're looking at? Just wondering as most of my experience is on pre OBDII or custom EFI ECU's. Not too familiar with factory modules.

I did some simple tunes on my older blazer but only on the ECM/PCM. I use HPTuners and dumped the Envoy's ECM already to look around. It wont do any other module so I'm looking at the VCX nano now.

I have to replace my SAS sensor but my Foxwell scan tool wont do it. I guess the ABS is the next module to look at. hopefully the VCX is good for that too.

would like to hear your results...
So I was trying to flash the bcm and update the vin number. With the ecu I can confirm the vin change. Yet with the bcm, I am unable to confirm that the new vin number has took. I have been in ever menu in the Tech2win and tis2000 software but can’t find out how to read the bcm vin number. The reason I need this is to unlock radios.

Reactions: korn

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is a Quote from a different GM Forum via Post #5:

https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/gm-tech-2-can-program-bcm.237859/

The Tech 2 alone cannot program the BCM. You need to connect to the Computer to download everything onto the Tech 2 and then use that to program the BCM. I had to do this a year and a half ago.”

Best Practices would be to follow @Bill Reid ‘s Tech 2 Bench-Top Harness Wiring Schematic and add in, modify or edit the necessary Harnessing for The P-10 PCM, The BCM and The Radio Class 2 Interfaces within your New Design:

This is the correct Wiring Harness Schematic to follow and you will of course, need to obtain a Spare Delphi P-10 PCM of the correct vintage from eBay for this instance to work:

Benchtop P10 Rev0_1.jpg

Then after booting the System with a reliable Power Supply and a UPS Back Up Unit… Open the TIS2000 SPS Programming feature and follow the Calibration Module Installation and Update Procedures just as though you were sitting inside the Vehicle.

@Bill Reid 's Signature Custom Bench-Top Harness Thread:

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/p10-pcm-benchtop-harness-with-bcm-radio-support.15270/

For additional information on the P-10 PCM Pin-Out Diagrams and from my own Bench-Top Harness Work, refer to THIS Thread:

Last edited:

kenjohn1204

Original poster
Dec 25, 2021
Houston
This is a Quote from a different GM Forum via Post #5:

https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/gm-tech-2-can-program-bcm.237859/

The Tech 2 alone cannot program the BCM. You need to connect to the Computer to download everything onto the Tech 2 and then use that to program the BCM. I had to do this a year and a half ago.”

Best Practices would be to follow @Bill Reid ‘s Tech 2 Bench-Top Harness Wiring Schematic and add in, modify or edit the necessary Harnessing for The P-10 PCM, The BCM and The Radio Class 2 Interfaces within your New Design:

This is the correct Wiring Harness Schematic to follow and you will of course, need to obtain a Spare Delphi P-10 PCM of the correct vintage from eBay for this instance to work:

View attachment 102629

Then after booting the System with a reliable Power Supply and a UPS Back Up Unit… Open the TIS2000 SPS Programming feature and follow the Calibration Module Installation and Update Procedures just as though you were sitting inside the Vehicle.

@Bill Reid 's Signature Custom Bench-Top Harness Thread:

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/p10-pcm-benchtop-harness-with-bcm-radio-support.15270/

For additional information on the P-10 PCM Pin-Out Diagrams and from my own Bench-Top Harness Work, refer to THIS Thread:

I was able to program the bcm by itself. I can see the updated calibration, but can not find a place to verify the updated vin number. I went through tis2000 to program it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... Since the verification happens by associating the VIN of the P-10 PCM over to the Added or Modified BCM...I think that is where the VIN Number Options comes up.

***I have seen TWO VIN Options occurring when working on a Corvette P-01...and avoided adding in the re-flash VIN until the 2nd Option to Add the VIN came up in SPS. I'm referring of course to the Text in 5a of this Linked Instructional on ECM Programming as what was guiding me here:

I'm trying my best here to help you *winkle* out all possible solutions... :>(

Last edited:

kenjohn1204

Original poster
Dec 25, 2021
Houston
FWIW... Since the verification happens by associating the VIN of the P-10 PCM over to the Added or Modified BCM...I think that is where the VIN Number Options comes up.

***I have seen TWO VIN Options occurring when working on a Corvette P-01...and avoided adding in the re-flash VIN until the 2nd Option to Add the VIN came up in SPS. I'm referring of course to the Text in 5a of this Linked Instructional on ECM Programming as what was guiding me here:

I'm trying my best here to help you *winkle* out all possible solutions... :>(
Cool, I will add a pcm to the mix and see if that works. Thanks to everyone for taking their time out to help. Hopefully as I learn I too can add to this community.

Reactions: mrrsm

korn

Jan 3, 2022
Warwick, New York
So I was trying to flash the bcm and update the vin number. With the ecu I can confirm the vin change. Yet with the bcm, I am unable to confirm that the new vin number has took. I have been in ever menu in the Tech2win and tis2000 software but can’t find out how to read the bcm vin number. The reason I need this is to unlock radios.
Thanks for the response. So far I have stayed away from the radio... My XM is expired so I may just swap to an aftermarket HU. I thought about getting a better factory radio from eBay so I'd be interested to see if you are successful. I thought I had read that an older gm the tech2 had a vin relearn option under navradio/specialfunctions that would erase the vin from the HU and then the HU would marry itself to the new vin..

I looked at restoring the chime but don't want a Metra module if I can make my own. I'm not sure if the chime comes from the VCIM as audio or serial data. I guess I'll wait for summer for that. For now I'm using an FM modulator to keep me entertained. I have the stock UB0, UE1, UQA radio.

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Cool, I will add a pcm to the mix and see if that works. Thanks to everyone for taking their time out to help. Hopefully as I learn I too can add to this community.

Have you managed to get the VIN from the BCM yet? I can't add anything to the discussion of using a Tech 2 or similar to get that data but I can describe how the ask for the VIN using the serial data language. You would need to use an OBD2 adapter and a serial terminal. Here are general instructions, let me know if more specific directions are needed.

Establish communications with the BCM and a serial data software.

Set message header to C9 FA F1.

Send the following one at a time. The VIN will be sent in 5 separate blocks of 4 characters each in ASCII. Request each block by sending a two character request in the simple form "01", "02", "03", and so on.

Here is a sample....

Screenshot_20220104-111502_Serial Bluetooth Terminal.jpg

kenjohn1204

Original poster
Dec 25, 2021
Houston
Have you managed to get the VIN from the BCM yet? I can't add anything to the discussion of using a Tech 2 or similar to get that data but I can describe how the ask for the VIN using the serial data language. You would need to use an OBD2 adapter and a serial terminal. Here are general instructions, let me know if more specific directions are needed.

Establish communications with the BCM and a serial data software.

Set message header to C9 FA F1.

Send the following one at a time. The VIN will be sent in 5 separate blocks of 4 characters each in ASCII. Request each block by sending a two character request in the simple form "01", "02", "03", and so on.

Here is a sample....

View attachment 102645
I still haven’t been able to verify if the bcm has took the new vin. I have been able to unlock radios and program vin into the ecu. I believe the bcm has to the new vin, I just can’t confirm it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If @TJBaker57 ‘s suggestion pays off ...and they usually DO... so much The Better because, FWIW**** you CAN Read and Save the OEM BCM BIN File Data using a Special Tool called a “Code Cannibal” as per this demonstration on a GM Vehicle:

**** The Code Cannibal IMMO Key Programmer Tool WORKS... But it will COST A SMALL FORTUNE @ $2.200.00:

IEA-CODE-CANNIBAL_2048x2048.jpg

https://www.uhs-hardware.com/products/code-cannibal-immo-key-programmer-diagnostic-tool

Here are a few more sites with additional useful information on the topic of BCM Re-Programming:

https://findanyanswer.com/can-you-reprogram-a-body-control-module

https://www.chevymalibuforum.com/threads/has-anyone-ever-installed-a-used-bcm-does-it-work.10693/

I think Kali Linux also has some “Special Hacker Tools” designed for Reading and Saving a variety of Encrypted BIN Files, but that opens up a Whole New Can of Worms if you decide you want to go down THAT road.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online