Battery recommendations

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Looks like my original acdelco battery is losing its umph and I get my clock resetting on start in the morning now... Any recommendations for a good cold weather battery?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've never had any issues with the Gold series batteries from Autozone or Advance Auto. I don't care for the Silver line though.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
In ever vehicle I have had and do have including the 04 Envoy and current 05 TB I have always used and never had an issue with DieHard gold series.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I've never had any issues with the Gold series batteries from Autozone or Advance Auto. I don't care for the Silver line though.

I'll have to check out the pricing,. What's the warranty on em?

In ever vehicle I have had and do have including the 04 Envoy and current 05 TB I have always used and never had an issue with DieHard gold series.
No longer a die-hard dealer nearby...

Thoughts on the Walmart Maxx line?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ah... I get back in town and find a post I can add relevant (?) info to :smile:

First off - To get 9 yrs out of the original battery (I see you have an '08 and are assumedly the original owner, as well) - that is pretty darned good. While on the one hand, I'd suggest 'dancing with the one who brung you there'... OEM batteries & same-vendor replacements are often two different things. I'm not picking on ACDelco specifically when I say this.

You mentioned the Walmart Maxx line - I have one. It's actually my 2nd one; the first one lasted about a year (partially my fault). I had put the Voy into the garage to install my TransGo kit - and accidentally let the battery discharge over the course of a couple of months (don't ask). That was essentially the only discharge event the battery experienced - but it would not charge afterward. Took it to WallyWorld, and they put their tester on it - showed the battery was bad, and I got to select my new one (which, as I did previously - selected something recently delivered, rather than something sitting there awhile.) Warranty started over again with the new one.

As an aside - they did not like my photographed copy of the receipt, and 'warned' me to bring in 'only the original' next time (paraphrasing, but the phrase 'next time' doesn't exactly instill confidence, eh?) Never mind what that thermally printed receipt would look like in 3 years (probably like blank paper), but, hey - it will be the original.

They also have a policy of 'no receipt equals 3yrs from the mfg date on the battery sticker' - another reason to get as 'fresh' as possible. IIRC, they get batteries on the same day of week / day of month (forget which it is) so knowing when they come in can be helpful, I suppose. And if you pay with a credit card that offers it, you can get another year of protection out of that (through the bank issuing the card - I use AMEX for this.)

The new one is doing OK a year later, but the last time I had the truck down a couple of weeks ago, I disconnected the negative post, and then put the charger on it when I was ready to reconnect - it listed at about 70% - when it got to 92% in a couple of hours, I disconnected the charger (I had put in a new alternator, 'just because I was in there', and knew not to tax it with a discharged battery.) So... the battery was at about 70% charge, as a baseline, having been in the truck for a year.

Pluses for WalMart:
- One in nearly every town, making replacement easier (premature or otherwise).
- Definitely a cheaper option, for an older vehicle.
- Maxx carries a 3yr full-replacement warranty (IIRC). If you can play your cards right, it'll be the last battery you ever buy :wink: LOL

Incidentally, I heard on the car radio just yesterday that Sears was now going to let 'other' companies manufacture the DieHard and Kenmore brands, and also allow other companies besides Sears to sell them. Not sure what the manufacturing changes entail - Johnson Controls makes the DieHard batteries (was Exide), and it's easy to tell who makes the various Kenmore products - just look at the other companies' offerings in the same store (KitchenAid, Samsung, Whirlpool, etc.) But I digress.

BTW - Johnson Controls also makes the Maxx line for Walmart (if not all Walmart branded lines,) IIRC. The DieHard lines *may* be built to a higher standard; not sure on that. Probably not difficult, knowing Walmart's cost controls. The news that Sears has sold mfg and licensing rights probably mean that the DieHard brand / line will continue after Sears has gone - probably with the same premium / markup that Sears puts on them currently (one which I might consider with a daily driver, but not for the Voy, as I don't drive it a lot, currently. You may agree with my logic, or not - I usually have at least two vehicles to choose from, so having an issue with one doesn't limit my mobility)

My other recommendations?
- I see a lot of Interstates installed in vehicles - don't know how well they do from personal experience. Last I saw, Exide was making them, but they may be JC now, as well.

- If you have big power needs (e.g.; car stereo amp(s), etc. - you may want to look for one designed for deep discharges (like the AGM types - 'Red Top', etc.) Although I hear they're not what they used to be, as well.

Anyway...good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

Last edited:

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Probably will go with the Walmart brand,. They have a similar warranty to the acdelco. No major power needs,. Truck is almost stock except for the trailer controller and remote start.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Interstate, (n)EverStart, Duralast, Optima, SuperStart*, DieHard, Motorcraft... it's ALL Johnson Controls...

If you're willing to buy a JC battery, the best deal is Costco's Interstate batteries and their customer service is the best... no question refunds basically. Just not that many locations and they don't have late hours if you need to get a warranty replacement at an odd time.

O'Reilly is a great place to buy a battery (SuperStart branded) because there are many locations and they're open early in the morning and pretty late at night. Unfortunately, retail price isn't great. If you're getting a regular battery just price-match Walmart, problem solved. For an AGM battery, eh, the price is worth it, but, if possible, just find somebody with a business/shop account because the discount is pretty significant (heck, for purchases for friends and other peoples vehicles [can't use employee account for anything but ones own vehicles] I got a business account for my web design company)...

*I'll tell you this though... NOT all SuperStart batteries are made by JC. How can you tell? If it has a J in the part number it is, if it doesn't, it's not. This is regional, but around here, in group size 78, the two-year warranty (SS Premium 78PRMJ) is JC while both the three-year options (SS Extreme 78EXT and SS Platnium 78PLT) are not made by JC. So, do yourself a favor and buy one that isn't made by JC. If you can afford it get an AGM battery... just not Optima, they're JC trash now too. Only thing to pay attention is the manufacture date sticker, these batteries don't sell that quickly, so try to get the newest one. Official policy is "first in first out" but ask nicely for the newest one :wink:

Currently running SuperStart Premiums in both my vehicles (one I needed right away but didn't have any money left, and the other was put in by the seller the morning before I got my vehicle), but my next batteries are going to be SuperStart Platinums - AGM is just a much better technology.

snoozer

May 15, 2017
Home
I have used NAPA batteries for many years. My last battery I bought was a 6 year battery & it was still working good at year 11 when I sold my 89 Suburban.
I won't use anything but their batteries.

Reactions: Tiggerr

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Well... not sure it's the battery now, I think it might be the ignition switch... tried it the other day and first turn of the key acted like a dead battery, resetting the clock and causing some relays to chatter. turn key off, and tried to start again and it fired up like it was nothing...

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I bought the Volvo with an Exide, which came from a local Tractor Supply. It's a couple years old and seems fine.
When I bought the 9-7x in 2015, it had a Saab-brand battery, which is apperently an ACDelco, made by Johnson Controls. JC makes batteries for just about everyone. Finally crapped out early this winter, and was replaced with an Interstate Mega Tron II 78-Series, which I get at cost for being having a friend that's an Interstate dealer, however I don't recommend them as much as I used to as they carry a terrible warranty.

Optima is a JC battery, and it's what I recommend to diesel guys.
But I've had decent luck with Walmart Valu-Power batteries in my lot cars. Easiest thing to do with them, run out to Wallyworld and pay $50 for a battery. I keep the slip warranty them for a year. Everyday commuters and lease cars we don't care about, it's perfect. Walmart's other batteries really aren't even that bad. Same for SuperStart's and Advance's line, the name slips my mind.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I bought the 9-7x in 2015, it had a Saab-brand battery, which is apperently an ACDelco,

I've never seen that. They must be getting rare now. Should have peeled and kept the label.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Slight risk of necroposting here, but wanted to pass on...

Was at Costco today, and found the Interstate Group 78s for 83.99 (plus $15 refundable core deposit). 42mo 'full' warranty (no pro-rata, even in month 41, per the clerk). Cash & carry - you can pick out the battery from the rack, install yourself, and bring the old battery back at a later date.
The ones at the front of the rack were a mix of June, August & September.

A couple of weeks ago, my current (2nd) WalMart Maxx sulfated due to sitting idle. The first one did this as well last year; it had to be replaced. Was able to recover this one - but if it goes again, I may just take it to Costco and use it as a core on an Interstate. The one downside is that any warranty issues have to be dealt with through Costco (printed on the case label)

So...forewarning...the Group 78 EverStart Maxx cannot be left sitting idle for a long period of time; if you drive the truck infrequently, a float charger is pretty much de rigueur. When I put the charger on it before starting the truck a couple of weeks ago, the charger reported 15% SOC - and I was surprised that I was able to recover it (supposedly, anything under 60% SOC for a 'flooded' (conventional) battery is bad news).

As someone else posted online...."When it works, it's a great battery - until it doesn't."

Supposedly, AGM batteries are supposed to be ideal for vehicles that sit for long periods - but I'm not paying $200+ for a battery, unless it's my daily driver and I have no other transportation - and if it's a DD, then I don't have the issue of sitting idle, either, so no need for an AGM.

One other thing I discovered while researching 'best group 78' - Consumer Reports (for what that's worth) rated one of the DieHards the best for group 78 (they listed different brands as 'best' within different groups.).

Given that Sears Holdings announced closing of yet another bunch of stores the other day, I don't think I'm going to be visiting them anytime soon (and IIRC, they require installation - at extra cost - in order to obtain the warranty on the unit). And I believe Sears Canada is already set for liquidation, so no help for our friends in Canuckistan :frown:

Anyway...hope the above is helpful for anyone battery shopping in Fall / Winter 2017...

Last edited:

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Ended up going with the Walmart maxx battery, but I think it was the terminal bolt that was the issue, very corroded. Bought a new battery and new bolts and back in business. 9yrs is pretty darn good. Most I ever got out of a battery was 5years. My old 1985 Nissan 4x4 used to go through Napa battery's every 6 months... Loved the warranty, free replacements all the time.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just don't let it sit idle forever, and it should give you good service. And 9yrs out of a battery *is* pretty darned good, especially if it's the OEM.

Mine's been starting up w/ no issues since I charged it earlier in this thread. Thought for sure it was going to become a doorstop, like my first one. Does seem like it cranks a little differently now, but it's holding charge well. We'll see what the colder weather brings.

Camdo

May 16, 2015
For a 2005 GMC Envoy, the official GM technical manual specifies the battery as:
Cold cranking 690 amps
Reserve capacity rating 90 minutes
Replacement battery number 78-6YR
Maintenance free, no vent plugs in the cover, completely sealed except for two small vent holes in the side.

I was wondering if this is describing an AGM battery?
Are regular lead acid batteries available with this "sealed/maintenance free" feature?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
They are describing a lead acid maintenance-free battery. AGMs were not that popular back then due to costs.

Reactions: Camdo

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The first battery I had in mine was not maintenance free, but all I did was cut the plastic cover so I could remove it with the battery wires still attached to check and top off the water levels on occasion.

Camdo

May 16, 2015
I want to replace my battery with a "sealed maintenance free battery" like the original specification. The battery descriptions I see in the online auto parts stores are vague as to what the maintenance / venting characteristics are. If the battery is maintenance free will the descriptor outwardly state that, or are all batteries sold today maintenance free so they don't bother to mention this feature?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No they are not all sold that way. If it doesn't say "maintenance free" then it is safe to assume it is a regular one that you have to check every few months (more during the summer than winter, typically).

Reactions: Camdo

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Even with a "maintenance-free" you still need to check every once in a while.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Given that Sears Holdings announced closing of yet another bunch of stores the other day, I don't think I'm going to be visiting them anytime soon (and IIRC, they require installation - at extra cost - in order to obtain the warranty on the unit). And I believe Sears Canada is already set for liquidation, so no help for our friends in Canuckistan :frown:

I have never had Sears tell me (or anyone I Know) they had to install the battery to obtain the warranty. Sorry but I think you were getting played. :-(

On another related note .. anyone try the Duracell battery in our trucks ?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011

I'm not 1000% sure, but I think @HARDTRAILZ use them. I'm going to get the AGM version next time I need a new battery, which will be soon.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I have never had Sears tell me (or anyone I Know) they had to install the battery to obtain the warranty. Sorry but I think you were getting played. :-(

No one 'told' me - it was printed on the store placard underneath each battery. Might have only been their 'top tier' ones; I can't remember. It was several years back.

If you're interested in a Duracell battery, look into Batteries Plus (or Batteries & Bulbs; whatever they call themselves these days). They carry the Duracell line - and they have installation service, too (at the time, I was looking for an installer who could preserve the +12v power while swapping old for new (so it must've been for the Envoy)).

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:diggrave: Dead thread revival. With a combination of the dead battery thread, and I've started to notice the EXT will crank slower and reset the DIC, if I leave it parked for more than 2 days. Monitoring SOC with the BM2, it drops down to 52% as soon as I turn the key off, so I've started considering the fact that I'll need a new battery pretty soon.

I had used this thread before, and decided on a Duracell Platinum AGM, and it's lasted me about 4 years now without complaints. But of course, I can't find them in group 78 (or 34/78 like I have), anymore. :frown:

Looking back through this thread has given me some options, although possibly dated ones. Does anyone have any new experiences to share? Some online research is still pointing to Yellow tops, or Odyssey AGMs. The Napa Premium AGMs seem much more wallet friendly though :undecided:

Reactions: mrrsm

Mike of Maine

Sep 6, 2023
Maine~
I had some difficulty with Duralast Gold after Interstate failed and further failed to warranty their battery. That led me to an Odyssey 78-PC1500 AGM. That led me to purchase a Solar battery charger that could properly charge an AGM battery as well.
I'm still not sure what the issue was entirely. Interstate failed, Duralast defect after a few months and then a good Odyessy is my guess. I didn't do anything to 'fix' the truck other than battery replace.
The Odyssey is almost a year old now and has served well last winter as a daily driver. Now parked in driveway waiting on my time for repair and upgrade, the Odyssey fires the 5.3 up every week for a bit of run time.
It wasn't cheap but the Odyssey is an awesome battery. I don't mind paying for reliability. I will have to get back in a few years to tell you how all that works out long term.
So far I recommend. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online