Battery meter drops below 14 at idle

bleu7

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Ive searched and can't find any answers as to why my charge meter will drop below 14 at idle.....

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
How far below are you talking about?

bleu7

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
kardain said:
How far below are you talking about?

Not 100% sure right now since am mot in my car but center is 14 and it drops to around 10 I believe

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
You may want to have your alternator and battery tested. Slightly left of 14 is fine (13.6-14.4 is typical range), that far low could be one of those are failing.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If your idle is steady at 600 RPM, then as suggested, check the alt and batt. If the idle goes down below 600 when the voltage dips, you have a common problem of a dirty throttle body. Turn the AC occ as an experiment and see if the idle stabilizes. If it does, then search here for "cleaning throttle body". If the battery is over 4-5 years old, it's highly suspect.

bleu7

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
the roadie said:
If your idle is steady at 600 RPM, then as suggested, check the alt and batt. If the idle goes down below 600 when the voltage dips, you have a common problem of a dirty throttle body. Turn the AC occ as an experiment and see if the idle stabilizes. If it does, then search here for "cleaning throttle body". If the battery is over 4-5 years old, it's highly suspect.

Thank you once again Roadie for the great input and all you guys as well.

Well I might have overreacted it doesnt go down to 10 thats in the read it goes down to about the first quarter line which should be around 11.5 to 12

bleu7

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
the roadie said:

the idle has been steady at 600RPM+ on idle, doesnt dip below so i guess ill shall check my alternator, my battery is only about a year and a half old, the alternator as far as i know has not been changed since purchase of the vehicle, so it could be the problem, i shall get it checked out.

sorry for skipping over these questions before, i had a busy week and didnt want to not reply at all before :redface::redface:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.