Battery light stays on, charging system checks out

nick c

Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
I've spent the last few weeks reading threads on various forums and either my search skills suck or my problem seems to be just a little different then what I keep reading about.

The wife has a 2007 Trailblazer with the 4.2, 120k and motor/accessories are all stock as far as I know.

When the motor is running, the battery light is on. Not just the dim glow that seems to be associated with a faulty ignition switch but fully illuminated.

The gauge is reading right at 14 volts. When I check voltage at the battery when the motor is running I get 14.2ish with multiple meters (2 flukes, and 1 cheap-o meter I keep in my 4wheeling vehichle).

I took the rig down to my local parts store, and they load tested the battery, and said it checks out as good. They also did the start and charging system test with their machine. And all was good on their end. (I asked if I could do it so I could see the numbers myself but the gal said they aren't allowed to give up possesion of it).

This has been going on for 6 months, and easily 10K miles. So I am confident the charging system and battery are working because i've never had it not start or act like it's a week battery. Recently my wife has started driving our suburban more, and the Trailblazer sits for 2 weeks or more at a time, and it still starts right up with out any issue.

Any thoughts, pointers or suggestions?

Thanks

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Could be a faulty gbcm or even an unplugged gbcm. I would check the ground cable and see if the gbcm came disconnected. Does your voltage fluctuate while driving? (It should depending if ac or lights are on)

nick c

Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
I thought I knew all the akronyms, GBCM has me stumped. A little help on that one?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Generator battery control module... The thing hanging on the battery ground wire on 2006+ gmts

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
nick, please complete your profile. It will help us to know where to take the troubleshooting.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I had the same issue on my 07 TBLT. Battery voltage checked out OK with my meter and my charging system checked out OK as well, but the battery CCAs were half of what they were supposed to be.

My battery never seemed weak and the TB always turned over and started as normal. The battery I had in it was only two years old so I was skeptical that the battery was the issue until I replaced my battery. All is well. Not saying that this is your issue, just my experience with my charging system light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.