Battery getting weak

Fishhunter911

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Seems the factory battery in the 07 Yukon is getting weak. Driving down 95 this morning it dropped down to 11.6 volts per the dashhawk. Gauge was below 14 where is always sits. Time for a new one. I see a lot of people going to wally world, It is just hard for me to go there for parts like this.

Thoughts?
a69377c9-a376-958a.jpg

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
When you're driving, you're not running on battery juice. Your alternator is doing all the work. If that gauge is dipping, you should check the power coming out of the alternator (source) and then check what voltage is getting to the battery. You chould be getting around 14v or so from the alternator at idle. Then shut the truck off and test the battery alone... If it's anything lower than 11v, you may have a dead cell. Otherwise, it's the alternator.

Or a loose cable someplace. Check the alternator & battery cables first.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I had something similar and it was the battery causing the regulator to go screwy. Replaced battery (with what turned out to be a defective one) and all was pretty good. Replaced the defective one under warrenty and all has been fine.

There are only a couple of battery manufacturers and what you find in Wal-Mart and other places under house names are the same as or very close to name brands. If you go with one that's the same size but 10x the specs then there will be a lot of compromises in the design. But if the specs are close, you'll easily get 4 or more years out of a store brand.

Fishhunter911

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
The battery was reading 12.2 Volts with the truck shut off. Went back out 20 minutes later it had dropped down to 10.7Volts. Out with the old, In with the new. Problem seems to be solved. Will see what happens when I am out this evening.

Thanks guys!!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Wow, thanks for the reminder. Mine started to act up a little the other night, I need to check it out.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Fishhunter911 said:
The battery was reading 12.2 Volts with the truck shut off. Went back out 20 minutes later it had dropped down to 10.7Volts. Out with the old, In with the new. Problem seems to be solved. Will see what happens when I am out this evening.

Thanks guys!!

So what did you end up choosing to replace with?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher