Battery dies constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photoguy_15

Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
Lately I've been experiencing several no start issues after shutting this pile of garbage off after moving it out of the driveway to change vehicles around. I just had to boost it again before posting this. It would be one thing if the POS had been sitting, but I just got home from work which is about a 45 minute drive.

So far I've replaced the battery, and alternator, and I've checked it for draws.

I'm not going to lie, this is the LAST damn POS GM I'll ever own, and I'll be so glad to see this thing rotting in the scrap yard where it belongs.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I hear your frustrations, man, this GMT360 is the least reliable GM I have owned. Every year newer = less reliable for me from 1969 through 2006 over 9 vehicles. I hear rumour the 2010s+ are improved quality but who knows.

Is it clicking or turning over slowly? How does it start once the cables are on? Have you inspected the battery cables for clean connections at both ends? Have you tested the battery cables for resistance?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You have three to four things that could be working to exacerbate this Dead Battery Problem:

(1) You have a Parasitic Drain on the System that is strong enough to draw down the Stored Battery Energy in Less than an Hour:

You can diagnose this problem fairly easily using THIS Tool and a Decent DMM (Digital Multi-Meter). Watch the Video for instructions on how to use BOTH of these Tools to get to the heart of the problem. If the OTC PD Tool confirms a Parasitic Current Draw is happening... then systematically PULL ONE FUSE AT A TIME IN BOTH THE FRONT ...AND REAR FUSE BOXES until you can see a change and a drop in the the Parasitic Voltage Drain that you first recorded. This will pinpoint which System Component is either Shorting Out... or if it turns out to be a Module (BCM, LGM etc...) one that is FAILING TO GO TO SLEEP with the Key OFF Position... then you will know where to look:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RT81XW/?tag=gmtnation-20

(2) Your Battery has NOT been charging long enough during so many Short Duration Trips to make a difference:

Even if your Alternator is Charging at around 13.5 to 14 VDC... if the time it takes to get to your daily destination is sufficiently brief... the Battery will NOT have enough time to Charge Back Up. In time... after so many Under Charges... the Battery Cells will suffer damage and begin to fail.

(3) Your Alternator is Failing:

Test your Alternator. Start the Vehicle and Turn On Everything that will add to the Draw Down of Power and measure the VDC Output with a Voltmeter. If your Rectifiers are failing.... A working AC generator will not be able to convert that power to Direct Current... ergo... Dead Battery.

(4) Your Starter Motor is Shorting Out or Failing:

After being Charged... If your Battery Voltage Tests prove nominal ... and remain at say 12.4 VDC AND if your Alternator is Charging with the proper Voltage after starting the Engine...neither Under nor Over Charging the Battery... Then isolate the Starter by using a Remote Starter Switch to Bypass the Solenoid Circuit using a Fully Charged Battery and/or one with an External Battery Pack attached. So if the Starter draws excessive energy and fails to Rapidly Turn Over... then you know the Internals of the Starter are BAD. Do this test... WITHOUT the Key in The Ignition. The idea is NOT to see if the Engine will start... You just want to see if the Starter Motor turns over 'Quick Like a Bunny' for at least 10-15 seconds and NO LONGER ...with obvious strength when doing so.

Be Patient,.. Be Logical.. and ...Be Systematic when using these methods and You Will Solve Your Problem(s).

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Man, I feel your pain but, it's 16 years old with close to 300kms and driven on salted roads ...I don't think the "Lemon Law" applies here, just sayin'.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Thread locked as you obviously have no interest in fixing your truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online