Barn find- (how does this happen?)

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'll give him $50... Idk some people buy things just to have it....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I bet it hits about 175K for the pair and they get resold in a year or so for over 100K each.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As long as the cassette decks work, I'm all in!

I remember when they came out with these. They were killer cars and if you didn't look carefully, you'd get smoked in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
These were such a big deal in the day because performance cars were pretty much dead. My wife and I took one for a ride with the intention of buying it, we were so underwhelmed that we walked away.
Funny but, my wife's present DD Equinox has a 300 hp V6, 6 speed and it's naturally aspirated....go figure.

Reactions: Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It is a different world. My 300hp Z28 was a beast when I had it and now my Trailblazer sports that 300HP.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It isn't all just HP though, remember that's peak HP. The power band and the torque curve are what really matter, not the peak HP number that just looks good on paper.

Also, power to weight ratio makes a difference also. Sure, that Equinox may have that same 300 HP as that car, but that Equinox also weighs a lot more.

Reactions: Reprise

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
pssshhhh...things like that and aerodynamics and all those grand electrical nannies that dumb new 300hp engines down to the performance of a 150hp 70s era corvette v8 don't count anymore.

Jeez...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
:iagree: 80s were the dark times and the jagged edge of what you could get. The 90s everything started ticking back up. I mean redline was like 5k on anything performance at that point. (Excluding special cases where applicable) it was the rebirth period though.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
It isn't all just HP though, remember that's peak HP. The power band and the torque curve are what really matter, not the peak HP number that just looks good on paper.

Also, power to weight ratio makes a difference also. Sure, that Equinox may have that same 300 HP as that car, but that Equinox also weighs a lot more.
I agree 100%. The Equinox and my Voy(5.3) weigh about the same and both have 300 HP but, the Voy has a more useable 300 hp. For average driving what good is the Equinox's 300hp at 6500 rpm? not to even mention torque.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Damn i'd like one of those bad boys. I love the g-bodies.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Damn i'd like one of those bad boys. I love the g-bodies.

Weren't those A-body? (Monte, GP, Cutlass, Regal) At least 'back then' (not sure if they were reissued as 'G' at some point - maybe when GM converted them all to FWD...sad!)

I saw one of these on Mecum a few weeks ago - the announcer was saying something about increasing boost (as well as naming the company where GM sent them for the 'Grand National' customization (like the seats with the stylized '6', the GN badges, etc.)

Supposedly, if you went to about 20lbs (stock was about 7lbs, IIRC) - that's when they became the 'beasts' they had the rep of being. I think there were a few aftermarket parts as well. Later, Buick came out with the GNX, and also put this powerplant in the Regal T-type (those were grey / gunmetal, as I remember).

Damned expensive they were, too - when these came out, I had a license, but no $ - so I was driving a well-used F- or A-body, depending on the year. I finally have some coin - but not what they're asking for these two, and I want to relive my youth with a 1st-gen Monte, anyway.

As everyone else said - these were the dark days of performance. I think just before this came out,, a TransAm was the fastest car GM sold - faster than the Vette, if you can believe that. Might have been running the Olds 403 by that time - forget about a Poncho 400, much less the SD 455s that got dropped in '73 or so.

I also came across an article on the GN recently - talking about how these were the terrors (paraphrasing) of NASCAR, when they came out. I think they ran with the V6, not a V8 like everyone else had. If anyone is interested, let me know - I'll dig up the link.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Weren't those A-body? (Monte, GP, Cutlass, Regal) At least 'back then' (not sure if they were reissued as 'G' at some point - maybe when GM converted them all to FWD...sad!)
Pre-1982 - A-Body
1982-1988 - G-Body

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In college I used to borrow one just like this all the time. Loved the t-tops. Guy that owned it was not a car guy and had no idea how fun that car was, so i made sure it got enjoyed as often as possible since I did not have a car as a freshman.

1518184019694.png

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I had a 83 T-type and still belong to a GN forum and club. in 87 they were the fastest production car in the world. Which meant faster than a Vette but not advertised as such because GM did not want to hurt the sales of the vette If I had the money I would buy another.

Reactions: Locksmith

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
This auction is heading towards $200k and the reserve is not met. This is what happens when the $$ factor overtakes a hobby or sport. So the real car people who would DRIVE and enjoy a classic vehicle are left with the scraps like 4 door sedans and vans while the wheeler dealers price the classics to hanger queen status..:twocents:

Reactions: Capote

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's why I hate watching Barrette-Jackson

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Barrett Jackson during the week is good. Those are drivers. Once Friday hits that when six figures show up...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I cant watch any of the auction stuff

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online