Banjo Bolt rounded threads which causes a leak

jwjcfx

Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
Pac NW
2003 Envoy SLT 4X4 with 189,000 miles. I just acquired it about 500 miles ago and started on some of maintenance stuff. Oil Change. New DDM, which led to a lot of electrical troubleshooting. Cat, Tensioner Pulley due to a "Whine" that didn't fix and still have a whine from low RPM all the way up till about 55 when at that time the engine drowns it out. Cleaned emission valve actuator, Replaced #1 and 6 coiled packs, new battery, won't bore you with the rest.

Now I'm on to the brakes. First did front brake pads, which weren't too bad. Bled them but the pedal became spongy, air in the lines so I thought and did it again. Then swapped out the rear brake pads and did the bleed again on all four tires, still spongy pedal.

Last night I overhauled the right side calliper using Chilton Manual as a guide. Things seemed ok, but as I was putting caliper back on rotor I screwed the banjo washer back on and it didn't sit right and started leaking, I took it back off and found I rounded the threads. I wasn't sure if it was the wrong size washer or just sloppiness. I can get it screwed in, with a different washer but it has a tiny leak. And now I'm stumped. Do I have to buy a new caliper and banjo bolt assembly together or is there some other fix someone knows of?

jwjcfx

Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
Pac NW
2003 Envoy SLT 4X4 with 189,000 miles. I just acquired it about 500 miles ago and started on some of maintenance stuff. Oil Change. New DDM, which led to a lot of electrical troubleshooting. Cat, Tensioner Pulley due to a "Whine" that didn't fix and still have a whine from low RPM all the way up till about 55 when at that time the engine drowns it out. Cleaned emission valve actuator, Replaced #1 and 6 coiled packs, new battery, won't bore you with the rest.

Now I'm on to the brakes. First did front brake pads, which weren't too bad. Bled them but the pedal became spongy, air in the lines so I thought and did it again. Then swapped out the rear brake pads and did the bleed again on all four tires, still spongy pedal.

Last night I overhauled the right side calliper using Chilton Manual as a guide. Things seemed ok, but as I was putting caliper back on rotor I screwed the banjo washer back on and it didn't sit right and started leaking, I took it back off and found I rounded the threads. I wasn't sure if it was the wrong size washer or just sloppiness. I can get it screwed in, with a different washer but it has a tiny leak. And now I'm stumped. Do I have to buy a new caliper and banjo bolt assembly together or is there some other fix someone knows of?
Is this what I need to replace the banjo bolt? DORMAN785436Brake Line Tee-Inverted Flare-3/16 In. x 3/16 In. x 3/16 In.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you stripped the threads in the caliper itself, I'm afraid you'll have to replace it and the banjo bolt. You could go to a pick-a-pull and get one there much cheaper.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Once you get the banjo squared-away, you might want to consider having the master cylinder tested. There are seals within it that can go bad and cause your pedal to feel abnormal (spongy). They don't always have an external leak when they go bad.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another possibility is you have air in the ABS valves. Normally, you need a Tech 2 to cycle them but some have had luck with just slamming the brakes on a gravel road.

jwjcfx

Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
Pac NW
Another possibility is you have air in the ABS valves. Normally, you need a Tech 2 to cycle them but some have had luck with just slamming the brakes on a gravel road.
Let me throw this into the mix. I've noticed that while I'm listening to an AM radio station and I put my foot on the brake pedal there's a frequency disruption. I remove my foot and it goes away. Sometimes when I come to a complete stop it'll sometimes go away while my foot's on the pedal. I also removed the ABS fuse and it seemed a little less spongy.....but I'm not sure if it was just my mind playing tricks.......wishful thinking. It's one of those things where I don't feel unsafe but if it's not just right then it bugs me until it's fixed. I juts got a new caliper and hose and will bleed again. I'll update. Thanks for the help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you mean ABS activates while slowing down and there isn't wheel lockup? That is a common symptom on a failing wheel hub.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online