Ball Joints? What's making these noises!?

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
So for the past year or so my vehicle has been making these awful noises. From whistling to roaring, all sorts of annoying crap. I've replaced the idler pulley, the serpentine belt, and my sway bar links. None of these replacement and upgrades fixed the noises, unfortunately I can't get it on video or get a descent sound recording because my vehicle only makes the sounds when it's in motion... Took it to a good mechanic, does good work and has modest prices. He couldn't hear the noises that I was hearing of course... But he did mention that the lower ball joints in the suspension were looking a tad worn. Could those be causing all of these noises? or is it something else?

I appreciate all feedback!

-Chase :crazy:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Probably front hub and bearings, when worn they will sound like off-road tires. Whistling could be either the roof rack or worn door seals. Have a buddy run some masking tape over the door gaps and take it for a ride, or do it your self and just climb over.

How many miles on the front bearings? They generally show their age around 120-140K.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You can't really look at the LBJ to see the wear, raise the wheel off the ground by the lower control arm just enough to get a prybar under the tire, lift up on the tire and observe the LBJ. If it looks like mine does in this video..definately change it, best to do both.

[video=youtube;zJlOVWP_35s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlOVWP_35s[/video]

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks! I'll definitely check both of those out! the vehicle has 112,xxx miles on it, I do have heavy wheels though so the front parts are probably wearing a little quicker. However the mechanic did say that the wheel bearings checked out okay, so ill try the masking tape trick and see if that fixes the whistling, I'll check the LBJ's on Tuesday when I change my oil. Thanks for the feedback guys! Love this community :thumbsup:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The wheel bearings will make noise and not show any movement up and down when checking with the wheel off the ground. When mine were shot and did'nt wiggle at all.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
This cell phone is awful for replying....they may or may not show signs of movement, mine didnt and howled like crazy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online