baffled with engine miss and over heating

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I picked up a mysterious miss. thought it was bad gas, wasnt that. thought maybe transmission because it went into limp mode i think, was not that, tran shop found a code and so i took it to my regular shop. they looked at it. i thought it was either that part that goes into the oil tube behind the alt or the other sensor in the front. but this shop thought it was something to do with the timeing but then came up with some sort of chain driven actuator or something that is located on the back of the engine? he said he talked with chevy and they said that part is discontinued... but i know of and have seen no chain driven part on the back of the engine.. anyhow it still runs strong, but has this miss that came on suddenly and then it wants to overheat when i come up the hill when i come home. but doesnt bother it driving normal or passing vehicles.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If the overheat with the miss happened at the same time, my worst fear is a head gasket....but don't look into that yet.

When you say overheat....what was the temp?

Could either be a bad fan clutch and coil pack, or could be something more involved.

There's a cam actuator solenoid on the front of the engine.

Please tell us what the code was.

Have you needed to add coolant?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's nothing at the back of the engine. Maybe getting confused with the 5 cyl Atlas variant that has a balance shaft but that's just a chain that wouldn't cause anything except maybe noise.

Yeah, without that code, we can't help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online