Badlands winch from HF

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Anyone else noticed that Harbor Freight has their 12,000 pound winch on sale? $399 is the sale price, and only $299 if you have the coupon (which I saw in one of their flyers around January I believe?). I've considered other brands of winches, but this seems like a heck of a deal.

Offroad Winch - 12,000 lb. Offroad Winch w/ Automatic Brake

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I would love to see a winch off test on the HF brand vs the major brands. I have always had the feeling that it could do one full pull maxed out but would fail if used regular. I would also think that after a year exposed to rain, it would fail. They do offer a warranty that you can replace, but what good is a smoked failed winch when you really need it. I have mixed feelings about the generators and large air compressors they sell also.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Wex said:
I would love to see a winch off test on the HF brand vs the major brands. I have always had the feeling that it could do one full pull maxed out but would fail if used regular. I would also think that after a year exposed to rain, it would fail. They do offer a warranty that you can replace, but what good is a smoked failed winch when you really need it. I have mixed feelings about the generators and large air compressors they sell also.

I've had a lot of luck running a lot of their air tools. I've been curious about that winch too as winches are expensive!

Dec 4, 2011
Sometimes you gets what you pay for. On the other hand sometimes you don't need the best because of occasional or intermittent use. That being said if I use a tool a lot I will also go with quality high performance items. :undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Harbor Freight = CCC, only get stuff there if you don't need to rely on it. Their claim that their stuff is the same as the "big name brands" is a bald-faced lie. I refuse to buy anything from them. Sure, I might end up paying more somewhere else but at least I know the odds of a catastrophic failure are much less in most cases.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Probably explains why its such a basement-bargain price... they're trying to dump their stock because nobody wants them at regular price. Although for the cost, I'm trying to figure out if I could use one of these to help load the catapult onto the trailer.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I roll an old style HF (the MileMarker clone) 8000lb winch on the TB. Been on there for a couple years. Original solenoid got flakey so I replaced it.

It's never left me stranded. It is starting to slow down a bit though.

I had a Badland 9000lbs winch on my crawler (90 SAS Yota pickup). Never had a problem with it either, but I got a Warn 8274 for free and put that on instead. The HF winch now lives on the front of my buddy's Jeep.

Are they as good as Warns? Nope. But they're great for the price.

I buy all my tools from HF nowadays. With few exceptions, even the big names are made in China now.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I got a 12000 lb one. It's slower than pond water, but it works. Can't say I'm unhappy with it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online