SOLVED! Bad Washer Fluid Pump?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
The other day, when it was way below freezing, I noticed I had no washer fluid. I thought it might just have frozen but I checked on a warmer day and still nothing. But I did notice that the rear window spray does still work (even though the wiper itself does not).

Is a problem like this always going to be a bad pump? Or are there other common causes for this? I don't hear the pump going when I hit the button for the front spray, but the engine is running so its hard to say. I'm definitely not out, the reservoir is actually just about full.

I was also thinking maybe I'd just swap the two pumps since the rear serves no purpose right now anyway.

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
It is possible that something has clogged up the system. But i doubt it. The pumps are different part numbers, but IIRC, it seems like you could just switch hoses and have no water on the back glass.

edit/add-on
if you replace the pump, a few more minutes and you can take the tank out and flush/wash it with some clean water, good as new

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I put the ignition on but without starting the engine and tested the sprayers. The rear works but the sound was coming from the back of the truck, not the front. Which makes me think I'm not hearing the pump at all but sound from the spray nozzle. If thats the case, then I still don't really know if the front pump is working and clogged, or if it's totally dead. I'm going to try to figure this out soon because its going to be very hard and unsafe to drive without that spray.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could jump the relay for it while not running. Alternatively, you can also put a test light at the connector and see if the power is getting there.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Mission accomplished. Had a helper (my momma) push the buttons with just the ignition on while I was under the hood listening. It was then clear that the rear pump was working fine but the front was not.

So I ran to autozone, bought a $17 replacement. Tossed it in and all is good! Works perfectly. Half my just-filled fluid tank leaked out during the repair but better that than motor oil.

I was suspicious that I had just replaced my wipers and filled the fluid tank, and then it was 14° out three nights in a row, so I thought something must just be frozen. But nope, it was all a coincidence apparently.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And just in case someone needs more info, GMTN alumni @MAY03LT just made this video on how to check the system.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online