Bad sway bar end links, and bad CV axles...Pictures AND video's

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I like to crawl under the truck to just look at stuff, touch stuff and try and see where and how they work both when bad and in good condition. I want to know the in's and out's of Phantom. I believe it's a must, and I just like learning as much as I can. So...today as I was bored, I decided to do just that, crawl under the belly of Phantom, touch stuff, look at stuff, and see where everything is and goes. I knew my sway bar end links were bad, but I wasn't really sure how bad. I always hear if it moves..it's bad, so I wanted to see exactly how their not supposed to move. I also went and checked the rear sway bar end links, and not to my surprise those look to be shot as well...After that I went and checked my CV axles, and I do believe I will be replacing those too.

I have taken pictures of both front and back sway bar end links, and video's of both front and back. I have also taken pictures of my CV axles, and a video as well. I thought that maybe it would help other members trying to learn the mechanics of these trucks. I'm a newb at just about everything lol so maybe this thread can be of assistance to someone like me.

Picture 1- Passenger front sway bar end links

P1030538.jpg

Video 1- Passenger front sway bar end links

Picture 2- Rear drivers side sway bar end links

P1030541.jpg

Video 2- Rear drivers side sway bar end links

Picture 3- Rear passenger side sway bar end links

P1030542.jpg

Video 3- Rear passenger side sway bar end links

Picture 4- CV axle(towards engine) on drivers side

P1030539.jpg

Video 4- CV axle on drivers side(towards engine) and drivers side sway bar end links

I didn't get a picture or video of the passenger side CV axle, it is bad and needs replaced. The movement isn't as bad and there is no noise coming from it either, unlike the drivers side, so I figured it wouldn't be very much help in this thread.

FYI: Where it shows the video's, click on the picture and it will take you to the video.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Nizar said:
i can move the sway bar left and right so that means they are bad ??!!!

If they move like the ones in my video's do, then yes I would say so. You may also hear a clunking noise while turning or hitting bumps in the road. I would recommend using Maxx Suspension's sway bar end links, other users have had amazing results with them. Keep in mind, that these vehicles are very notorious for their sway bar end links going out, so using a very high quality part will help eliminate having to change them every year.

I will be switching to the Maxx Suspension sway bar end links as well.

Good luck!

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Nizar said:
i can move the sway bar left and right so that means they are bad ??!!!
If you can slide the actual BAR left to right, it probably means that your bushings are worn out, not necessarily the end links.....but they could be shot too.

IMO, replace them both at the same time.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Unless you see seeping/leaking/holes/tears from your CV shafts (especially the rubber boots) they are actually probably just fine.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you replace the cv's i will take them. Look fine to me.

--Crawling around underneath while not knowing what something should look like, may not be your best bet. Get someone that knows what things should look like and can explain the difference between good and bad to help you or you have no frame of reference and could waste a bunch of money on parts that are perfectly functional but may look "bad" to you.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
If you replace the cv's i will take them. Look fine to me.

--Crawling around underneath while not knowing what something should look like, may not be your best bet. Get someone that knows what things should look like and can explain the difference between good and bad to help you or you have no frame of reference and could waste a bunch of money on parts that are perfectly functional but may look "bad" to you.

I always get a second opinion when I see something that may need to be replaced. I haven't gotten that opinion yet though. I'm pretty sure my swaybar end links are crap though. I've never seen them move like that on any other vehicle with "good" end links.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well the one end link is missing the entire cap off the end so that's a sure sign it is shot lol.

But yeah, do the end links, leave the CVs for now.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
Well the one end link is missing the entire cap off the end so that's a sure sign it is shot lol.

Why? A CV/tie rod end/ball joint works without a boot and it is not shot...prolly wont last long. but not automatically bad. Are the sway bar endlinks different?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Why? A CV/tie rod end/ball joint works without a boot and it is not shot...prolly wont last long. but not automatically bad. Are the sway bar endlinks different?

With the sway bar end links I could move them left and right so much so, that if I added a bit of force, I wouldn't be surprised if they just popped off. I have 2 with missing caps I believe, but they all have severe movement. I've been playing around with the thought of just removing both sway bars. I've been driving the truck for 4 months with crappy end links, so I'm used to the way it handles. Just need to do a bit of research and reading to see if it affects the safety at all.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Voymom said:
With the sway bar end links I could move them left and right so much so, that if I added a bit of force, I wouldn't be surprised if they just popped off. I have 2 with missing caps I believe, but they all have severe movement. I've been playing around with the thought of just removing both sway bars. I've been driving the truck for 4 months with crappy end links, so I'm used to the way it handles. Just need to do a bit of research and reading to see if it affects the safety at all.

You missed the point of my post....The cap being gone does not make it automatically "shot."

If they have movement they likely are bad. Do they make noise? I cant see the videos at work.

Removing swaybars is a far different story than just having bad links. It will drive completely different without swaybars. I have driven mine many miles with front only, rear only, none, and both. The front only is the not much different than both and I like the extra flex in the rear. Both removed makes the truck fairly unstable...enough my wife notices the difference. I did not mind it, but would rather keep some extra stability and safety for evasive/safety manuevers with my child or wife on board.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
You missed the point of my post....The cap being gone does not make it automatically "shot."

If they have movement they likely are bad. Do they make noise? I cant see the videos at work.

Removing swaybars is a far different story than just having bad links. It will drive completely different without swaybars. I have driven mine many miles with front only, rear only, none, and both. The front only is the not much different than both and I like the extra flex in the rear. Both removed makes the truck fairly unstable...enough my wife notices the difference. I did not mind it, but would rather keep some extra stability and safety for evasive/safety manuevers with my child or wife on board.

Oh, yeah just because the caps are gone I know that doesn't make them automatically bad. I was just replying to the other poster who pointed out that one of the caps were missing. They do make noise, and it's annoying as all get out. No matter if I turn left or right I get lots of loud clunking.

On that note, with the swaybars I think I will keep them on lol I don't want to have a decrease in stability especially since I put my children in it all the time. I guess that's a no go then. I will replace them with the Maxx suspension's then. Thanks for the feedback on that, poor hubby would have been pissed if he had to take the swaybars off and then end up putting them back on the truck, as that's what would happen once I noticed the instability.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

Well it looked like you can see the crusty innards and you can't really get a new cap to seal it back up unlike a simple boot, so, yeah, I'd call it shot and needing replaced. Plus its all loose and worn anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online