Bad Roads

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
As the title implies, let's see some pics of the worst roads you have to deal with during a normal commute or trip. This is officially pothole season, so photo opportunities should abound.

This IS a two lane road, the creek ate it away on the creek side and there's a giant deep pothole on the right. It is just barely wide enough to get the Envoy through, and thats with carefully dropping the right tires off into the hole on the right. This is the "temporary" fix.

View attachment 33077

Same road just a bit further on. This isn't a pothole, it's a friggin lake! Conservatively, its probably 10 to 12 inches deep, you don't wanna hit this one.

View attachment 33078

Attachments

• IMG_20140306_162520_454.jpg
    IMG_20140306_162520_454.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20140306_162536_930.jpg
    IMG_20140306_162536_930.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 8

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Oh, you'd love some of the stuff I could get if I could ever find a place to pull over. WV doesn't appear to know what road shoulders are :rotfl: and I've always got someone behind me it seems.

At the road leading to work, there's a couple big potholes heading uphill. On the other side, there is a whole family of potholes, all right next to each other. It requires slowing down to about 5MPH and carefully navigating. At best, one side or the other of the vehicle will have half the width of the tire dip into one or more holes. Probably all the semi traffic it receives. It won't be much more before it's either reclassified a gravel road, or receives a trail rating at this rate :rotfl:

Route 16, there's a bridge after the sharp turn outside Ellenboro, with a couple huge gaping potholes in the bridge's cement. They cold-patched it and now a couple of them are back since the last plow run. Further up the way in Maxwell, there's a deep impression where the cold patch is trying to hang on where a pothole almost the width of the TrailBlazer is. Like if you're 6 inches to the left or right from going over it dead center, you're hitting this puppy, and it's HUGE. Also Nutter bridge has been out for over a month now. I don't go out that way (it's the other road on that sharp turn), but I'm guessing it's pretty unstable to have the bridge closed to all but thru-traffic. Maybe I'll head down that way and see what's up sometime.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
I have to commute into Milwaukee every day, and the roads in the city are horrendous! I've seen frost heaves on pavement that left one slab of pavement 4" higher than the one next to it. Sometimes there is no way to dodge that sort of stuff! I know my route and so pick my lanes wisely in order to not tear the bottom end out of my commuter (I drive a Rav4 to work -- my wife drives the TB -- all about fuel mileage with an 80 mile round trip every day!). Potholes a foot deep are everywhere and seemingly every man hole cover is now 4-6" below the surface of the road. Frost is now down to almost the 6 foot deep level under the roadways (less in areas covered by snow). TONS of repairs to city water mains as well -- 3 on the 3 block stretch of road in front of the school where I work!

Otherwise, the roads in the pictures above remind me of what I saw when I lived in Kentucky. Once one was out of the city it was 4X4 territory!

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I don't think there is enough room in the internet to cover the pictures of michigan roads. :sadcry:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I hit something on the way to a friend's house that for an instant I thought I was on ice but the temps were almost 40F and had been all day. It threw the back of the Voy several inches to the left and very quickly. I could see a darker spot in the road but it was too dark to make out any details. Fortunately no damage.

My wife hit a bad one in NJ and damaged the front bumper of her Hyundai by bottoming it out on the road. Fortunately the tire and rim are fine.

A co-worker on Long Island, NY blew two tires, two rims and damaged his front bumper. And that was on a BMW so the rims and bumper are going to be a whole lot more than :twocents:.

And as I have mentioned earlier, NYC has been closing multiple lanes on the Belt Parkway to just strip the surface and repave.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Mark20 said:
My wife hit a bad one in NJ

New Jersey doesn't have potholes. It has pot-rises, the few remaining parts of the road that haven't crumbled into oblivion yet :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online