bad cv axle? or bearing? stumped

ReynoldsWrap

Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Iowa
Okay guys, Im having trouble here. First things first, I did read up quite a bit on this and cant quite put my finger on the problem. Having a loud"ish" groaning sound that is very obvious from about 20-60mph. Its a little more pronounced at the lower of those speeds. Once im up to highway speeds at like 70+, the noise dies down considerably. Car never shakes or drives bad, just the noise. No popping from the CV's. Did a little troubleshooting which goes as follows

Turn the car to the right, noise lessens considerably.
Turn the car to the left, noise gets louder.

Little background on the car, it has 166k miles on it and is an 06 Envoy SLT 4X4. Ive had the car for a year and this started after the first time I put it in 4wd is when I noticed it last winter. Previous owner had obviously put a new hub on the front passenger side because it is much newer and not rusty like the drivers side hub. A lot of the front end components had also been rebuilt (tie rods, springs, ball joints)

Anyways, I went to Advance auto parts they thought that the passenger side hub had gone out again, as did I. Thought maybe the previous owner used a cheap part. I felt the hubs multiple times after long highway runs but neither were ever hot. Went ahead and replaced the front passenger hub, and noticed when I took the hub off it sounded exactly the same as the new MOOG hub that I purchased. I put the MOOG on anyways and problem still persisted. I went ahead and returned the hub since it didn't cure my problem and put the other one back on.

At this point, could the drivers side hub be bad? Doesn't seem like it and the noise seems to be coming from around the differential area (to my untrained ear). Also, I added a video of what my front passenger CV axle looks like, and to me it definitely sounds loose in the diff. To my knowledge the CV's are original, as the PO gave me a book of maintenance done to the truck. I checked the front diff oil and it definitely looks full, and the book says it was changed about 30k miles ago.

What do you guys think. Could it be the CV shafts? Should I try the drivers side bearing? Im at a loss but I hate taking things into the shop because they don't know as much as these forums do. Thanks for the help!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could be driver side. Jack that side up, grab a hold of the coil spring, then spin the wheel. When mine went bad, you could feel the roughness in the coil.

Thing is, I wouldn't think it would get quieter at higher speeds.

Check the disconnect where the CV axle attaches as well, for any slop.

ReynoldsWrap

Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Iowa
Here is the YouTube link where you can see what I am talking about. The drivers side has a little play in it, but not near as much as this which is the passenger.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would do both hubs

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I want to say the disconnect may be a little worn there. If you've never serviced it, it can't hurt to put a new outer bearing and seal in it.

Reactions: smt 59

ReynoldsWrap

Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Iowa
Sparky, thanks for the help. Do you think that that bearing would get quieter when I am taking pressure off of it (ie turning to the right).

I might try tonight swapping out the hub bearing from side to side just to rule that out and make sure the noise doesn't switch sides.

Also, as far as that disconnect bearing, is that a pretty easy project? Does the disconnect need to come out for that as well?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sometimes the bearings are opposite like that because of what part of the bearing is worn, so yeah that's possible.

The disconnect seal/bearing isn't terrible, but it is a bit of work. Ideally you take the whole disconnect off the side of the pan, but sometimes they're stuck on there really good. In a case like that you could possibly separate the halves of the disconnect and service it right there. More difficult to do lining parts up that way, but it can be done.

smt 59

I agree with Sparky, the clip shows excessive play in the disconnect. Replacing mine tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes. I had to buy the whole assembly as they have discontinued selling this item at the dealer so had to import from the US. I am keeping the old assembly and rebuilding it myself to have as a spare.

smt 59

I agree with Sparky, the clip shows excessive play in the disconnect. Replacing mine tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes. I had to buy the whole assembly as they have discontinued selling this item at the dealer so had to import from the US. I am keeping the old assembly and rebuilding it myself to have as a spare.

Job completed very straight forward just a couple of hours.

smt 59

I had a low speed vibration/shake when engaging into 4WD, I checked for excessive play on the CV shaft on the passenger side where it comes out of the disconnect. It was just a little more than it should be, caught it in time before it caused damage to the intermediate shaft.

ReynoldsWrap

Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Iowa
Well I wanted to follow up. Took it to a shop for a free estimate, said my drivers side bearing was screaming when they listened with a mechanics stethoscope. Apparently I had guessed wrong when I changed the other hub, shows why I am only a shade tree mechanic.

Anyways, changed the drivers side hub and all is well. For now I will leave the disconnect alone as the noise disappeared and I don't have any 4wd problems. Thanks for your help guys!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
my drivers side bearing was screaming when they listened with a mechanics stethoscope. Apparently I had guessed wrong when I changed the other hub

It happens, that's why we change them in pairs.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
It happens, that's why we change them in pairs.

I agree, but I couldn't get the warranty co. to buy that. They have replaced both of them now, but one is two years older than the other. Oddly enough, they acted different when they failed. One made noise in a straight line (right side) and the other only when I turned right (left side).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358