bad bushing diagnosis

'03EXT

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
just wondering if wd40 is good to spray on noisy control arm bushings for diagnosis, or does it have a drying effect on the bushings, I sprayed it on both upper and lower p/s bushings a month ago when i changed the lower bracket, now the upper bracket is screaming to be changed, maybe it dried the upper bushing up?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
From the WD40 FAQ (can't tell you how I located it or else I'd have to kill you.) :wink:

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?

WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I would try silicon spray and see how that works. The wd40 I've noticed tends to dry out over time.

-Jerry

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Since "WD-40 will dissolve grease and grime, penetrate stuck parts and drive away moisture", I tend to keep it away from things that rely on active lubrication. I've seen it dry out electric motor bushings and bicycle chains and gum up clock gears. "WD-40 remains effective even after it appears to dry. The corrosion and rust protection ingredients remain adhered to the surface."

While it might not be harmful to the materials involved, it can be harmful to the proper lubricant (especially higher viscosity ones) in certain instances.

One mechanic I know will only use it as a substitute for hand soap. :undecided:

Should be fine on dry bushings. Not sure I'd hose down "sealed" ball joints with it. Penetrating is one of its specialties.

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
Buy some lithium white grease. It comes in a spray can with a stray for pinpoint accuracy. It's somewhat waterproof too, so it should last quite a bit longer than WD40

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I'm starting to feel like some kind of naysayer, but I'm under the impression that the white lithium grease isn't all that great either, eventually it sets up like concrete.

Irregardless, I think some kind of lube, whether it be grease, wd40, etc, is better than nothing at all!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online