Axle disconnect stuck in oil pan

Robbie Steele

Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
Ohio
I have a stuck 4wd axle disconnect stuck in pan what I was wondering if I bought a new disconnect could I split the new one and put the new front housing on to the old housing afraid I'm going to break housing in oil pan .

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You could possibly do that. Couldn't replace the inner seal doing it that way, but, if that seal is OK you may be fine to get away with it.

If your outer housing is in good shape still, you may be able to take it apart and rebuild the whole thing on the side of the vehicle. I haven't tried, I broke mine trying to get it off.

If it breaks, try (carefully!) drilling holes in the broken chunk but don't drill into the oil pan itself, and use a cold chisel to break it up.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Having just done this hours ago, if the inner seal is okay rebuild in place. I had to beat the living snot out of mine to get it out. As big of a hammer and sharp of a chisel I couldn't get it out without drilling it. Took an hour of me beating it and using the air hammer.

Robbie Steele

Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
Ohio
You could possibly do that. Couldn't replace the inner seal doing it that way, but, if that seal is OK you may be fine to get away with it.

If your outer housing is in good shape still, you may be able to take it apart and rebuild the whole thing on the side of the vehicle. I haven't tried, I broke mine trying to get it off.

If it breaks, try (carefully!) drilling holes in the broken chunk but don't drill into the oil pan itself, and use a cold chisel to break it up.
Do you no if they have a rebuild kit for the front housing

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Could you possibly take a picture or video of what you are talking about.

I have had some tough situations, but nothing has ever been "stuck" THAT bad other than the seals which bent a couple of pullers.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That's a pretty good writeup (just looked at it again). The author gives good detail on how to pry the housing off (and try and follow his instructions - if you just take a pry bar to it, you'll likely crack the housing (or worse).

Something that has also worked well is to strike around the edge surface with a mallet or dead blow hammer (along with some penetrating fluid behind the casing, as well as you can get in). I still have to check mine, but if it's stuck (and likely will be, given my recent encounters), I'll be trying this myself.

And if all of that fails, someone just posted a rebuilt disconnect for $75 shipped - you could take that and swap out the internals.

Reactions: Mooseman

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I had the same issue. Spray with penetrant, then using a hammer you hit it the edges to cause rotation. Back and forth. This busted the corrosion up and mine the popped out without much drama.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.