AWD transfer case PWM Wire

Gutless

Original poster
May 27, 2014
I have an 04 rainier 5.3 with 215k miles. I bought it at 175K 3 years ago and fixed a bunch of stuff wrong with it. The transfer case AWD shift motor was bad so I changed it with the Dorman one.

I found our recently my AWD doesnt work. I got stuck going up a slightly snowy road, no front wheel power. I checked both the right left coupler and front diff by lifting each wheel up and trying to spin it. They all checked out. I also lifted all 4 wheels off the ground and put the car in drive. All 4 wheels spin in drive. However if I lightly chock both front wheels they will not spin. I also checked on the ground by putting the rear wheels on ice and front wheels in 4-5 inches of light snow. Just spun the rears.

I read somewhere there was a check to see if the transfer case shift motor is getting a PWM signal. Anybody know what wire that is? When I brought it to a shop 2 years ago for diagnosis (since it won't throw a code and my HPtuners wouldnt read it, needed a tech2) the tech put a test light between one of the 5 wires and did get signal. He said the 04 system did not allow him to manually shift it with the tech2, only 05+. If I can check to see if its getting a signal i can at least be mostly confident the encoder is out again but with only 2 years i just have a hard time believing it.

Since all 4 wheels did turn (just with no noteable amount of power) I am tempted to believe the Tcase clutch is burnt out with the high miles. I did change the fluid when I bought it with the autotrack2 stuff and it looked clean. Havnt checked recently.

I did have a problem for the past few months where my ABS would kick in at all times below 5mph. I broke one of the sensors when trying to check it taking it out. Turned out to be the aftermarket wheelbearing got rust inbetween the sensor and the stainless shim pack, I just had to clean the surfaces and the ABS works as it should. Probably a separate problem but I thought id mention it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would be tempted to say that the Dorman encoder motor has died. They do not have a good reputation at all with several documented failures on the forum. You could pull the encoder motor off the TC, leave it connected, jack all four off the ground and redo the test. You should see the motor turn. You could then turn the shaft on the TC to activate the front wheels. While you're there, check the TC fluid level and condition. When was it last changed?

There is no PWM wire to the encoder motor. The TCCM applies 12V to the motor to activate it momentarily and then it slowly returns on its own since there is no brake like in 4x4 systems.

Gutless

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Ohh really I had read they were a digital circuit. Guess not. I changed the fluid a little over 2 years ago.

If thats the case I will just buy a reman acdelco one on rockauto for $200. I doubt there is any type of warranty on the dorman one left.

If it quacks like a duck it's a duck. I'll change the motor.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure if the schematics for the AWD system is in my manuals so I'm attaching this one from GM-SI. There is a 5V reference and circuit but basically it's to feed back to the TCCM which mode it's in.

Attachments

• AWD Encoder Circuit.pdf
    200.8 KB · Views: 4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online