AWD to RWD (remove front driveshaft)

Lotsofqs

Original poster
Apr 25, 2021
Birmingham AL
OK so I am not a car person… Just looking for advice not necessarily specific details. I have a 2004 Buick Rainier. It has a host of other issues that I won’t go into now, but took it to local chain mechanic because they were the only ones open today. Wheels were grinding as if metal were caught underneath them when turning. They showed me the front driveshaft was no longer attached and had been “stripped” they said. They recommended removing it to convert it to a rear wheel drive. They did this and it now drives fine, but it is so extremely loud. Like so loud I have to talk in a normal above average volume to be heard in the car. What could be causing that?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have never heard of the front driveshaft being stripped. It's nearly impossible. However, there have been instances of the intermediate shaft between the right axle half-shaft and the differential that does strip, especially on the AWD trucks.
Stripped Intermediate Shaft

There are many parts in the front drive system that could cause noise. If the tech only removed the front driveshaft, there are still a few parts that can make noise like the axle shafts, the differential, the disconnect and the hubs. To properly disable the front drive, this will help:
AWD/4x4 front diff permanent disable

Reactions: gmcman

Lotsofqs

Original poster
Apr 25, 2021
Birmingham AL
Thank you so much! I think you are right in that it may be the intermediate shaft. They threw a lot of info at me and that certainly does make sense. I will look into the links you provided. Thank you so much!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I just worked on the same vehicle recently. The intermediate shaft was stripped at the actuator mounted to the RH side of the oil pan.

The fix was to replace both.

I did however notice at the time the seals were leaking on the front diff on both sides.

Do you have any gear oil leaking between the front diff and the oil pan? That seal is a bit of a PITA but doable.

When you remove the CV shaft, I have found it's easier to use a drift punch or piece of pipe, and strike the pod with a hammer...they can be stubborn. Once it pops free, about 1/2", then the rest is easy.

Tankcruiser

Oct 29, 2018
Toledo
I just worked on the same vehicle recently. The intermediate shaft was stripped at the actuator mounted to the RH side of the oil pan.

The fix was to replace both.

I did however notice at the time the seals were leaking on the front diff on both sides.

Do you have any gear oil leaking between the front diff and the oil pan? That seal is a bit of a PITA but doable.

When you remove the CV shaft, I have found it's easier to use a drift punch or piece of pipe, and strike the pod with a hammer...they can be stubborn. Once it pops free, about 1/2", then the rest is easy.
pod? what part are you referring to?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
pod? what part are you referring to?
The large portion of the CV shaft at each end. Maybe that's not the correct terminology, but I found it easier to strike that large pod with a small pipe or punch, pushing it away from the front disconnect.

Tankcruiser

Oct 29, 2018
Toledo
The large portion of the CV shaft at each end. Maybe that's not the correct terminology, but I found it easier to strike that large pod with a small pipe or punch, pushing it away from the front disconnect.
oh i see thats i think cv hub thing yea done it b4 with an front wheel drive car..... fun times that was...
thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86