AWD to 2WD conversion possible on Rainier?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Short story, my buddies front diff leaked fluid and the diff is toast.

For the short term, can the front driveshaft be removed and be driven in 2WD without the front drive shaft connected?

Of course I would pull the CV shafts also but is this a torson-style AWD transfer case or is it just in 4HI in the AWD Rainier?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Torson Style.

As far as I know, it will damage the transfer case to not have the AWD system fully intact.

@Mooseman can probably shed more light on this.

griffincox

Jan 3, 2013
The Torsen center differential was only used in 6.0L V8 models. All others used 1 or 2 speed transfer cases with clutches and encoder motors. With proper steps, these can run in 2WD just fine. Probably best to remove front half shafts, front prop shaft, seal the front T-case output from elements somehow and then disable the clutch and encoder motor. Frankly if you plan to keep 4WD It’s probably easier to just get a new used diff and repair and move on

Reactions: Mooseman and gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Frankly if you plan to keep 4WD It’s probably easier to just get a new used diff and repair and move on
That's the plan.

We are hoping to use it in the meantime in 2WD, sealing the T case is the other issue. I believe an old shaft that I can remove the output flange from might work, they have a snug fit in the T case. Issue could be the new irregular surface on the old seal...might take it out.

Swapping the diff is a huge PITA, as it either requires dropping the oil pan, or removing the fan shroud, alternator, and A/C compressor and that's a tight fit going upwards.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
From the Transfer Case to the front drive shaft, its sealed on the transfer case side. So all you need to do is pull the shaft off the splined output shaft. I just went thru this on my AWD Saab (same transfer case as your Rainier)

The problem is, there is no space to push the drive shaft forward, even after you have pulled the u-joint off the front diff.

I am not sure if you can pull a cross member and get it dropped.

Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks @TollKeeper, good to know about the seal...has been awhile.

I do remember being able to remove the shaft, takes some finesse to go up and to the left but it fits.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Both of my Bravadas have the same system as the Rainier. Both have been converted to 2wd because I'm too cheap to fix the them after they leak or break. removing the drive shaft is simple, no issues. I also remove fuse #8 (if I remember correctly) under the hood. I've been driving the blue one for seven years this way, no problems. ~BOB

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: gmcman

Regalman

Feb 8, 2023
Utah
I just had this done today and it was successful. The front driveline and axles were removed, along with removing the 4WD fuse under the back seat. Giving it enough gas to spin the rear tires on dirt left two tracks as if it has positraction. It runs and drives great and there are no lights on the dash to indicate that the PCM or anything else is unhappy.

Reactions: Mooseman
Feb 18, 2017
Shreveport, LA
My dad disabled his auto 4wd but I'm pretty sure all he did was remove a front axle shaft going to the passenger wheel. I don't remember what happened to make him do that but it's been running for YEARS that way with no issues lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86