AWD Binding in 2005 Saab 9-7x

Aashton1

Original poster
May 6, 2019
GA
Hello everyone,

I hope y'all can help me out with this issue I have with my 05 9-7x Linear. 2 months ago, I was told by the Saab service place to replace the Transfer Encoder Motor because the wheels were binding. Unfortunately, it has come back again, and I've decided to forgo the full-time all wheel drive altogether. My question is: when you're taking out the front drive CV axles, what have y'all put in there to prevent the fluid from coming out?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I used a lid from a bottle of apple juice but generally the answer is a Gatorade lid.

Have you tried changing the fluid in the transfer case? May take a time or two.

Aashton1

Original poster
May 6, 2019
GA
I used a lid from a bottle of apple juice but generally the answer is a Gatorade lid.

Have you tried changing the fluid in the transfer case? May take a time or two.
Okay, but how were you able to keep it in? Did it just stay in on its own?

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I wouldn't give up on the AWD just yet. Unless you've done your Tcase fluid replacement every 50,000 miles on the clock - it would be worth the $40 or so in fluid and 2 combined hours of work to try and get it to unbind. The TSB for "crow hop" (front wheels binding, especially at low speed while turning) is to FIRST change the Tcase fluid with only Auto-Trak II, drive for a while (I forget the exact mileage, I drove mine for hundreds), and change it AGAIN with fresh Auto-Trak II only. If that doesn't unbind it, then change the encoder/motor.
Disconnecting and removing the entire front will get rid of all wheel drive, but you will still have a Tcase. I don't suspect that you will gain any distinct MPG increase by ditching the AWD. It may improve handling a little (over the crow hop), but that's about it.
Either way, good luck.
Here's my reply to another thread about AWD stuck in a 9-7x. Mine's a Bravada but has the exact same driveline.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could just pull the encoder motor to see if that's causing the issue again. And if it is, just leave it off and then pull the axles if you want. The MPG savings from pulling the axles is negligible.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Okay, but how were you able to keep it in? Did it just stay in on its own?

Yes, it is a fairly tight fit, and it won't come out on it's own.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online