Avalanche LED 3rd Brake Light Mod Smoked got installed today.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I was working on my truck all afternoon.

Another project that got done was the install of a LED 3rd brake light.
MY wife already has the clear housing. I wanted mine to be dark, so I ordered the 'smoked' housing.
Yes, it's darker than my wife's, but it's not dark enough for me.
Oh well.

Here are the pics.
Sorry for the blurriness. I'll try to take better pics later.

What 'smoked' really is;
3072-100-0837.jpg

3071-100-0846.jpg

OEM brake light;
3070-100-0853.jpg

LED not lit up;
3069-100-0854.jpg

LED lit up;
3068-100-0856.jpg

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yes, I may do that as well depending on how much it bothers me....

Good luck with yours!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea i got mine on MLK day.. ordered the smoked one as well.. yea.. not smoked lol... so i'll VHT it up and call it a day.. once the weather breaks and i bring the SS out of the garage, i'll swap the lights out...

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Those looks great!! I am going to have to get those once mine burn out :yes:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Looking nice! i'm adding that to my list :cool: My wife is gonna kill me. She was discussing that she hasn't done enough shopping lately and I was saying she was. So her argument statement was:

"I don't say anything when you go buy things for your car" haha :eek: She cracked me up and yes she ended up going shopping! What a doll :redface:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
At least the products are consistently mis-advertised! :duh: I would have figured, years later, they would have changed the description to be a lil bit more accurate as to how 'smoked' they are. To the OP, it took me about a year and a half for the lack of smoke to bother me enough to do something about it. :redface:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Mine were advertised as smoke as well. I painted the top and area just above the LEDs black. Then a light coat of VHT over the LEDs, and finally several coats of clear.

Before

A1.jpg

After

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BO TIE SS said:
Mine were advertised as smoke as well. I painted the top and area just above the LEDs black. Then a light coat of VHT over the LEDs, and finally several coats of clear.

Before
After

Nice touch on the photo editing Sam :thumbsup:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yes! That is what I was after!
A4.jpg

Damn, that looks really good! I only hope that mine turn out that good when I get there.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I want to keep it red but led style to match the led taillights which paint did you all use or which is best to use??

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
TexazReece said:
I want to keep it red but led style to match the led taillights which paint did you all use or which is best to use??

VHT Niteshades is the most common. Rustoleum has come out with a similar product, that's pretty new to the market. If none of your local stores carry either of them, or are out of stock, plenty of places online sell them. :twocents:

512OEPBrXVL._SL500_AA300_.gif
235256_AU_10oz_LensTint_L.jpg
can0000niteshadesred.gif

Edit: VHT does make a red tint, some members have used it on their Voy's tails for the amber turn signals, don't know if Rustoleum has a red tint spray yet.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Rustoleum has come out with a similar product, that's pretty new to the market.
That's what I used on the 3rd brake light and tails on the 'Hoe. It worked just as well as VHT. :twocents:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Rubberman said:
Might have to try this.

:no: There is no "might"

DO IT!!! :yes: :biggrin:

trailblazer075 said:
how much your LED 3rd Brake Light is it cost?

This is the cheapest one I found on Ebay.

[EBAY]230727415594[/EBAY]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
trailblazer075 said:
the lights can be mounted directly on the TRAILBLAZER or should it change?

Blckshdw said:
:yes: Only thing that needs modding, is the connector.

If you need more details, check the Articles section for a full write up. :thumbsup:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Me007gold said:
Here's mine, I ended up using tint film as the last time I tried Niteshade it did not work out so well

DSC_0658.jpg

This is what I have on my OEM light right now. I bought the tint film for my headlights but I changed my mind so I figure i would used it for my 3rd light and the markers on my bumper, worked out great.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online