Auto climate control very hot to touch and other electrical issues

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
All,

I noticed last night, in the midst of a several hundred mile trip, the dual zone auto climate control screen (where is shows degrees, etc) was surprisingly hot to touch. Not hot enough to burn my hand, but hot enough to get my attention as atypical heat for electronics of that nature. The climate control was mostly off during the drive, just showing the current exterior temp (40 degrees or so).

I noticed my aftermarket headunit above it was also very hot to touch. I also had electronic interference type humming/static from the right front door speaker when the unit was turned on. After turning the car off and back off, the exterior of the head unit seemed to cool to normal operating temp and worked right, but the auto climate controls stayed strangely hot the rest of the drive.

Background: the headunit is a pioneer double-din (just cd player, not a dvd/video screen type) that has been installed and working for about 5 years. Of note, maybe a year ago it has started to periodically gotten this humming noise from the right front speaker and the unit has to be turned off and back on to get the sound normal again. Sometimes it does it several times in a row, sometimes it doesn't do it for weeks. It does seem to be getting worse though.

On the drive, we stopped for breaks every hour or two (driving with 1 and 3 year olds) so it wasn't constantly running. She is used to the pampered California garage weather but had to sleep outside in the freezing cold and snow for a week and a half trip to visit family, so maybe the colder climate caused an issue? Or maybe she is insulted we made her sleep in the driveway instead of her usual garage?

We are soon to move to Texas for the Air Force, so will be driving many hours and I really want to get this stuff figured out before some electrical issue strands us in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for all your help. I do have a multimeter but have never used it, so if you would like info of that nature please dumb down the use thereof (turn the dial to xx, clip the red wire here, the black wire here, etc).

Thanks again,

LT

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Probably just heat from the night illumination (dash lights) lamps in the control unit.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah, I noticed that the first few nights I owned mine, I just turned the dash lights down a little and the heat went down as well.

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Alright, sounds like it's just something I haven't noticed before as opposed to some alarming foreshadowing. I'll try turning down the interior lights to see how that helps.

Thanks!

LT

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
I have a pioneer ddin also get frick'n hot. I kind of think the heat leaks in behind there. You say the heat wasn't on but was the digital thermostat still up around 90?
When it gets warmer outside and I have the temps turned down my radio doesn't get as hot - if it was lights, it would be even worse in warm weather. ??
I also get a periodic hum from the front right. Not sure if it's the radio or the adapter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online