Attempting to get Stainless Steel brake line kits for 02-05

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
So long story short, i bought a SS brake kit from autoanything that was supposed to fit my 05, but i think you can obviously tell it did not, even thought there site said it does and so does stoptech. either way after complaining and talking with them, they are now going to send me another kit. This kit will take stoptech about 3 days to be made since they have to check sizes, test fit and redo the whole kit, they are also going to be making a new part number for it and after that's done it will be sent to autoanything and they will be making a part number for it also, so by next week it should be in the mail to me :2thumbsup:

so since they are both making new part numbers for it i would only imagine it will be coming online for sale soon enough aswell.

the price of the original kit (06+) was $75, the new kit will be $85 for me, (they were asking for something around $130, obviously i wasn't going to pay for that)

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
That sounds great! Will these work on my '04 tho? I know the rear changed at some point. Or are these just the fronts?

Yea this should work on 02-05. Front only
the old kit I had would be for 06+ (Part#:950.62013)

Also as for the rear there are no kits available for 02-05 since we have a 3 channel abs system meaning that we have one Line that feeds brake fluid to both rear wheels, 06+ had a 4 channel system with a separate line to each wheel. (also the reason why they had traction Control)

Gm could of had used a rear block on the metal line and then used the same brake hose for both sides and saved money but instead they made the splitter integrated with the driver side brake hose which is why we don't get a kit.

Some one on the old site made the 06+ kit fit by making a new splitting block, then he was able to use regular ended hoses to connect the rear lines

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
The rear brake lines changed in 2006 due to different abs and stabilitrak systems becoming available. The fronts are the same, and imo are the ones that would really make a difference. edit: ^^^ beat me to it. Lol

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
The rear brake lines changed in 2006 due to different abs and stabilitrak systems becoming available. The fronts are the same, and imo are the ones that would really make a difference. edit: ^^^ beat me to it. Lol

Lol, the front brake lines are basically the same for all the years since nothing really changed except for the banjo bolt thread on the caliper. Not sure about the brake line fitting though I didn't check that.

Stoptech guy said there bolt was M10x1.5 ours is M10x1.0
DSC_0146.JPG

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Are these different than the ones available thru the place on the SS forum?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Are these different than the ones available thru the place on the SS forum?

Link? Also all tbss lines are for 06+ these lines will be for 05 down

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Have not looked at them for years so do not have the link, but a more than a few people use them. The fronts are the same and were available separately.

Googled:

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/brakes/88590-braided-stainless-steel-brake-lines.html

Also Evil SS

and

ADM Peformance sell them

I only found one thread that supplied brake lines for 02-05 (the one you put the link for) and they said the supplier stopped maiking the rear kit for 02-05 since it was too much work with the brake line tee built into the brake hose vs the metal brake line

Also Evil SS lines are for tbss meaning 06+

And I couldn't find anything on admperformamce site

The front lines for 06+ will NOT work on 02-05, I put a picture comparing banjo bolts above. The new kit being made should work on all 02-05 for the FRONT only

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I see. I know Roadie and some other have been using the SS lines on the fronts for awhile so i thought they worked OK. Wonder why they do not anymore?

I knew the back was a clusterf---.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
I see. I know Roadie and some other have been using the SS lines on the fronts for awhile so i thought they worked OK. Wonder why they do not anymore?

I knew the back was a clusterf---.

Maybe they'll chime in on where they got there's at, but the stoptech line definitely does not fit 02-05, I haven't actually seen a 06 caliper to compare but I know the bracket is different, so I would imagine caliper too, especially since the pads are different shaped and longer too, and the banjo bolt is a different thread

Also idk what Gm was thinking about with the rear, they really screwed up on something they could of had made simpler and cheaper by putting the tee on the metal line.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I knew there had to be something I was missing. I still want to justify the SS lines, but for some reason I can't. Maybe I will go slice a line and force myself to do it :wink:

To be clear: The available kit works for the 06+ but you are working with them to make a kit available to work with the older models?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
I knew there had to be something I was missing. I still want to justify the SS lines, but for some reason I can't. Maybe I will go slice a line and force myself to do it :wink:

To be clear: The available kit works for the 06+ but you are working with them to make a kit available to work with the older models?

you just have to take one of those lines out back and put it down lol

Also yes the available kit is for the front for 06+, they have rear kits for 06+ aswell
And yes I am working with them to get a kit for the 02-05's, they are making new part numbers so the kits should be available for purchase aswell

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
The lines have shippeed! they should be here the 5th, hopefully I'll have my control arms here also and do it all in one day

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
There here! Should have time to install tommorow if not then Sunday

The correct number is on stoptech site, auto anything dosent have them yet

DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0009.JPG

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
So to be clear, what site did you order these from? :undecided:

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
So to be clear, what site did you order these from? :undecided:

I had originally got them from auto anything but that was a kit for 06+ when it said 05 so I contacted autoanything and stoptech and a had a kit made just for 02-05's

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I ran into the same road block, and is why I asked. I'm assuming they made that kit for him, since their info/advertising was wrong, and they wanted to make it right. And now mass production can get rolling?
deal.gif

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I get around to doing my brakes, I want to flush the fluid too, cuz I'm sure that hasn't been done yet. Would be sweet if I could upgrade the lines at the same time while everything is taken apart.

I wish I had an affordable rotor (size) upgrade. My only option is a big brake kit, and I haven't hit the lottery yet. :frown:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Other than doing the V8/LWB/SS upgrade, Yeah that's pretty much all there is.

IMHO, the aftermarket "big brake kit" isn't even close to being worth the expense.
Being he has the LWB, he does not even have that option.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
I ran into the same road block, and is why I asked. I'm assuming they made that kit for him, since their info/advertising was wrong, and they wanted to make it right. And now mass production can get rolling?
deal.gif

That was exactly what happened, also its all in the first post. And yes I would only imagine that they will start making more soon enough, especially since they have the new item number on their site and my package is like a normal product.

Also stoptech does not sell direct to people, you can only get them from one of their vendors

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
OK well the brake lines were a big fail, :Banghead:

Long story short:
The lines are too short to work.

The lines they sent me are exactly the same as the old ones except for the banjo bolt, which was the correct thread this time. (Side note, the fitting on the solid metal brake line is the same thread on my 05 and the 06+ kit

The lines are at least 2 inches too short, as they are I am unable to get the line fully on without the line being stressed at either end. (Keep in mind this is with the suspension at full drop). The supplied brackets will not even come close to being used when the line is installed. And if the brackets aren't used I would have to remove the old bracket, from the old line and install it to hold the abs wire and put tape over the brake line to avoid scuffing on the knuckle even thought it dose have a coating on it, but just as a extra protection.

With the line like that at full drop I'll be scared to rip it out driving, most people may live with nice roads and won't worry but not in nyc where the suspension takes a beating and the way I drive too, 35mph over a speed bump on a constant basis can definitely yank out that line

As for the speed bleeders, they let air through the threads so I had to put grease around them to get it working good, other than that they worked great. (Side note: both my front calipers are junk yard replacements and one rear caliper too, so when I bleed the rear I'll test the speed bleeders on my o.e caliper)

I've put new rubber hoses on the front and now I need to call autoanything and get a refund.

Stoptech has definitely let me down big time from wrong listings to bad service (how can they know the banjo size but tell me my kits defective) then to there so called product testing, and to the wait time and the over all horrible fit on the lines.

Very upset on this whole situation :Banghead:

But this would probably work great for dropped people lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That's a pretty crappy deal. Their R&D department needs some restructuring. Go back to basics, or something.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Dosent really look like it in the pic but the line is stressed by the caliper and by the fitting. Putting the bracket would of stretched it, you can also see the bolt for the fitting wasn't on giving more slack but with it on it was tight, it has to be at least a 1.5 inches longer, 2 inches would be better

Also keep in mind this is with the bigger brakes (ss sized rotors) so the line should have even less of a reach, slightly but still a diffence

DSC_0066.JPG

Reactions: BlazingTrails

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe call them direct and see if they'll replace it with an elongated one? I mean it's a brake line.... shouldn't be that hard for them to get right.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Can you put a stock line and the Stainless side by side? I cant believe they made them shorter. Seems pretty ignorant.

I mean even lifted the stock length is fine.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Looking at the image. I wonder if the rubber ends re-enforcing the connection are what is doing it. I looks like since they don't really flex that they could be causing the problem.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Can you put a stock line and the Stainless side by side? I cant believe they made them shorter. Seems pretty ignorant.

I mean even lifted the stock length is fine.

From what I've seen most aftermarket brake lines are just a bit shorter, my rear brake lines were like that, they still fit fine bit they seem to be made for stock height only, gm seems to give a bit of slack for people looking to pop some bigger tires or a lift.

I'll get a pic of the difference later, its about a 1" shorter iirc that main difference is its caliper mounting connection where they don't use the o.e style solid metal curved to fit end.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
With lifting the only issue is unhooking the one rear mount or swapping some extra front lines to the rear since they are longer. The fronts are a non-issue even with my flipped and swapped UCA.

Reactions: Gerbil21

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Looking at the image. I wonder if the rubber ends re-enforcing the connection are what is doing it. I looks like since they don't really flex that they could be causing the problem.

They do contribute to the problem but the lines still need to be at least 1.5" longer for the bracket to at least fit and give slack.

Also I've called autoanything and isuued a refund, I need to call back later when stoptech is open(time zone difference) and see if they'll make another kit, this time I'm not paying for it thought, I've been waiting way to long for them to make it right

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Can you compare, do a side by side, with your original line?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Ask and you shall recive

DSC_0076.JPG DSC_0079.JPG DSC_0081.JPG

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Because of the original has the metal bent end, it needs more to allow for a loop from the caliper.

Reactions: littleblazer

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm just wondering if the 06+ kit has the same issue. Does anyone have these on an 06+ envoy/trailblazer ext.?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
I'm just wondering if the 06+ kit has the same issue. Does anyone have these on an 06+ envoy/trailblazer ext.?

As far as I can tell there is no difference from the two years except the banjo bolt thread.

Also as for the price they wanted $130 but since I had gotten them originally for $75 on a sale they brought it down to $85

As of right now autoanything seems to be taking stoptech side since they are saying that the lines are not defective and are charging me for return shipping ($10) I talked to one person and they said they were going to send me a email to send pics to stoptech but they never did, so I called again and I got to speak to someone at stoptech and he was more helpful but he said he'll call me back and when he did I couldn't pick up, but after calling back 4 times he never picked up. So I have to wait to Monday when there open to call again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online