"Atlas Shrugged...!" An Excellent Technical Article on the GM In-Line 4, 5 & 6 Cylinder Engines

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Eventually...we all hope to see @Capote 's Turbo-Charged "BatBlazer" idling and loping with Constrained Horse Power... All alone... out in some empty parking lot at Midnight and get to appreciate the video results of all the time, effort and money he will need to invest towards realizing that dream. The attached article has something special for him to see among the many images included and more information that might interest him and others as well about the arcane history of this In-Line design for Motors. It also favors the inclusion of data about all three flavors of GM's I-4, I-5 and I-6 All Aluminum Vortec Engines.

Who knew that prior to settling on the V6 and V8 LS Engines, the GM Engineers actually tinkered with (and built) an idea for the GMT360 and other Truck Line Series of creating a Stock 400 Horse Power Dual Turbo LL8?. There are some great pictures of all these New, Factory Fresh Engines to be found here as well. In spite of its somber title .... I think we can all agree that "Rumors of the Death of the GM 4.2L LL8 and its Brethren... have been Greatly Exaggerated..." If this Article has already been posted... Please feel free to delete this one entirely:

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...-engine-gm-s-42-liter-atlas-i-6-ar174949.html

EDIT:

As for the Topic Title... The inference here hearkens back to Greek Mythology concerning the Ten Year Battle between the Old Gods (...with Atlas as their Leader) versus the New Gods... with Zeus as their Head Honcho. As punishment for his role in losing what is known as "The Titanomachy" ... Zeus ordered Atlas to literally "Hold Up The Sky" in perpetuity...Thus...to this day... He manages to keep the Roof of the Olympian Heaven from crashing down upon our heads.

Last edited:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That was a great read man:2thumbsup:, always seen parts of that paraphrased, but not the entire article.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Noise maybe? Cost?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Hmm... seems to me that Atlas didn't shrug...rather, he strolled along confidently, bearing much payload on his shoulders :laugh: (besides, I hate Randian references...) :wink:

Great read - bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks for linking it!
Almost makes me wish I had one in the 'Voy. Almost LOL

PS: I'll guess 'cost' on the valve cover (e.g.; 'real' benefits of the composite cover proved to be less than 'anticipated')

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online