Atlas I6 in 1950 Chev

ddgm

Original poster
May 7, 2013
Just read an article in the December issue of Hemming's Motor News which shows a Vortec 4.2 and 4L60E transmission in a 1950 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe two-door sedan. Not a lot of detail about the transplant but very nicely done. It made the front page.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I tried to google that but wasn't able to find it.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Always wondered why nobody had done this before, seems like a nice upgrade while staying with the I6 theme.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I saw the same on a 60's model chevy truck at a car show this year. Have thought about it for my (passed down to me) 65 gmc stepside for the fact of keeping an I6 in it but figure I'll go LS for power mod-ability when the build happens.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remembered seeing this one. It has bad belt squeal but still cool.

You'll notice that all these videos are old and now that the Atlas line of engines are now defunct, development of them with parts and mods have stopped.

Reactions: Redbeard

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Shame GM ended the 4.2 line when the Moraine plant closed. These are very stout engines and guys have been able to get so much power out of them, N/A and Boosted/Supercharged.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably the second Gen of these engines would have been even better, probably with dual phased cams, bumped compression, better flowing heads. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Couldn't quite see if it's running an E-fan :confused:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
With that big ole radiator I would be.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Thanks for the link.
The green really works well on that shape car!

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I wonder if they are still using the vacuum motor on the wipers...cause when you take off from a light and step on the gas the vacuum goes way down, as does your wiper motor speed. This almost wasn't a pleasant learning experience during a heavy down pour in Florida going through a large and busy intersection in a '54 chevy I owned years ago. I stepped on the gas and the wipers STOPPED. I was thinking "ok, put the road back in front of me.." I believe mine had a green body with a white top, but the green in this car stands tall. It was neat to have a "plain jane" car with most folks driving by you (especially as a teenager) giving you the thumbs up and nodding their heads in approval.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I hear ya - my dad's '59 Fairlane Galaxie 500 had vacuum wipers. He converted it to electric. At least his car is 12V, the early ones were 6V.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Couldn't quite see if it's running an E-fan :confused:
Seems like it, you can see the timing cover. At that angle of the picture you'd see a clutch mounted fan if there was one IMO.
1234567890.png

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Please forgive the THJ here (Tiny Hi-Jack) ... @Mounce ... I spied this item on Amazon concerning your 1965 GMC Stepside Van and though I suspect you already have an entire library of service and repair manuals for the Ancient GMC Van... The price and availability for this thing might be worth getting as well. :>)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HDEPZSS/?tag=gmtnation-20

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.