At what point is a 2002 envoy not worth replacing the eng.

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
2002 envoy slt, enging is toast, trans and all accessories including ac are good. (well the blend door actuator for the drivers side is bad) I had the engine replaced in my sons truck 4 years ago with a 100k 4.2 I found at a salvage yard, was able to get the engine installed for $500 (cheap right) altho the guys that quoted me that said after this one they would never do another! In any case the wp went out and my son was stuck in traffic(work zone) with no exit on the hw so he drove it to an exit. Of course the head is toast at a min. Wife wants me to find another engine and I am ready to give up... what would you do?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you are in a rust free area, I agree with your wife.. Find a low mileage engine, and swap her out. You know the truck, its quirks, likely cheaper than replacing it with anything on the market currently.

Not sure where you are at in the world, you dont have your profile filled out.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends on the overall condition and mileage of the truck. Mileage may play into it if the tranny has never been replaced or rebuilt if it's a high mileage unit.

The market to buy ANYTHING is stupid right now so keeping it may be the better option. The problem is finding a shop to do it. Never mind that it's a complicated job on 4x4 trucks, shops are just slammed with a lack of skilled personnel to do it.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
x2 on the transmission. How many total miles are on it? If greater than about 180-200K miles, you're about at end of service life on a stock 4L60E.
If it's working OK right now, a 'corrective shift kit' can help eliminate wear in the valve body and make it last longer, to go with the new(er) engine.

Also, certain model years require engines from a specific range (e.g.; you can't just put 'any year' 4.2L in) I always forget (because I have the V8), but I know it's been discussed more than a couple of times, so the info is on this site. Or someone like Moose may just add that to this thread. :laugh:

Heads are available, if the block deck measures out ok (it's also aluminum). They differ by year, also.
I have no idea what it would cost for a freshly rebuilt head 'ready to install'.

I'd probably pull a complete engine from a wrecked unit at your local JY (if it's wrecked, the engine was running when it was hit). Or you can try salvage sites like Car-Part and see what they have either near you, or that won't cost a fortune to have shipped to you.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I have seen recent examples of newer 360 vehicles selling for $4-5 k usd.
I doubt that you will find a low mile engine or a $500 install job again.
I would move on from your 20 year old potential money pit and go newer.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also, certain model years require engines from a specific range (e.g.; you can't just put 'any year' 4.2L in) I always forget (because I have the V8), but I know it's been discussed more than a couple of times, so the info is on this site. Or someone like Moose may just add that to this thread. :laugh:
02-05 will interchange without modifications
06-07 will work after moving the coolant sensor wires to the right rear
08-09 WILL NOT WORK

Reactions: Reprise

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online