At Peak Performance

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Well it seems that I have gave my engine my everything. My current mods are as followed, cat back exhaust, supersparkz, pcmforlesstune, e-fans, custom pcmforless intake. I think that is all I can do to the engine, have I missed anything. I keep reading about some SW Headers. I would love to review some commentary on those, if they even exist for out 4.2. My next project will be the tranny, any suggestion on that besides the vette servo.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
andy702252 said:
Well it seems that I have gave my engine my everything. My current mods are as followed, cat back exhaust, supersparkz, pcmforlesstune, e-fans, custom pcmforless intake. I think that is all I can do to the engine, have I missed anything. I keep reading about some SW Headers. I would love to review some commentary on those, if they even exist for out 4.2. My next project will be the tranny, any suggestion on that besides the vette servo.

I am very happy with my extrude honed and ceramic coated exhaust manifold. The ported throttle body gave me better throttle response but also added vibration below 1000rpms in first gear that bothers me.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
andy702252 said:

how do you like your supersparkz? i been thinking about doing them on my other truck.

SSW did use to make headers for our I6 but not anymore.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
andy702252 said:

You can get injectors from lime-swap. They're plug and play with an EV6 injector harness.

Injectors

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
It is very hard to compare any of my parts on a singular level. Reason in being is that I have done most of my parts in bulk, or shortly after the last mod. With that being said it is kind of difficult for me to dissect the particular performance issues related to one part in particular. What I did notice from the SuperSparkz was smoother idle and would venture to say it gave me a slight advantage on HP and MPG. Id have to admit with all of the mods my truck has received it is one MPG monster.

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
O yea, and about the injectors; could you elaborate more on the pros and cons. Mostly with me being a college student the PRICE!

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
andy702252 said:
O yea, and about the injectors; could you elaborate more on the pros and cons. Mostly with me being a college student the PRICE!

The stock injectors are pretty small. It's fairly easy to max them out even with basic mods. The 60 lb/hr Dekas that I sell will support 500+ HP giving you all the headroom you need. They are compatible with alcohol, so you can run E85 if you want or add even add boost:thumbsup:
The only real downside is that you have to pay for them and install them!

Price for a set of 6 60 lb/hr is $259.99. The Plug-N-Play EV6 injector harness is $69. Everything ships free.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
andy702252 said:
How much do you think install would be.

Would it be something you could tackle yourself? You have to pull the intake manifold and alternator. It's probably 2-3 hours shop time. Figure ~$200 installation maybe. If you wanna drive to michigan, I'll throw them in for ya!

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
andy702252 said:
Do you have any number to testify any improvements and what about its impact on mpg.

Injectors by themselves will not give you additional power. If they're tuned correctly, there will be no affect on MPG. The benefit is additional headroom for other modifications such as turbocharging, running E85, or headwork. With stock injectors you won't be able to go much over 300 HP. A set of 60 lb/hr injectors will support over 500 hp and the 80 lb/hr injectors will support over 700.

My first iteration of the 4.2 had eFan, 3" exhaust w/no cats, intake, and a tune. With just those basic mods, my injector duty cycles were over 90% where they are in danger of going static (on full time). It's generally recommended that you keep your injector duty cycles under 85%.

It would be interesting to see where your duty cycles are currently. Do you have any method of logging?

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Ace1875 said:
Ooo lime is a very well know I-6 builder. He has retrofitted our I-6 in many different cars.

Even in a supra with a turbo. So I think he still has numbers etc for it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :smile:

The Supra put 250 hp to the rear wheels with just the mods listed above. Not bad considering most TBs dyno closer to 200-220.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
limequat said:
Injectors by themselves will not give you additional power. If they're tuned correctly, there will be no affect on MPG. The benefit is additional headroom for other modifications such as turbocharging, running E85, or headwork. With stock injectors you won't be able to go much over 300 HP. A set of 60 lb/hr injectors will support over 500 hp and the 80 lb/hr injectors will support over 700.

My first iteration of the 4.2 had eFan, 3" exhaust w/no cats, intake, and a tune. With just those basic mods, my injector duty cycles were over 90% where they are in danger of going static (on full time). It's generally recommended that you keep your injector duty cycles under 85%.

It would be interesting to see where your duty cycles are currently. Do you have any method of logging?

Are you saying stock injectors are good for 300 hp at the wheel or at the crank? I ask because with my tune, ported throttle body, CAI and extrude honed mani I gots to be over 300 hp at the crank.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Pittdawg said:
Are you saying stock injectors are good for 300 hp at the wheel or at the crank? I ask because with my tune, ported throttle body, CAI and extrude honed mani I gots to be over 300 hp at the crank.

I was referring to crank HP. You might want to have a look at your duty cycles!

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Ace1875 said:
Duty Cycles on an injector is how long they are active squirting gas. I think TechII can be used for looking at your duty cycles

So should I be worried about harming anything without upgrading injectors?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Pittdawg said:
So should I be worried about harming anything without upgrading injectors?

unless you are putting in big cams, or stroking, or bolting on FI or spraying i doubt you're going to have any issues...

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
andy702252 said:
So just putting on injectors alone will not offer any performance.

Well since ur TB, as u say, is at 300hp. That is the max the stock injectors will do.

New bigger injectors might give u more then 300hp as the stock injectors might be choked out to the max right now.

Any more mods u will risk running lean and as lime said burning ur pistons and what not.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Pittdawg said:
I am very happy with my extrude honed and ceramic coated exhaust manifold. The ported throttle body gave me better throttle response but also added vibration below 1000rpms in first gear that bothers me.

Did you ever get this straitened up? I bet its annoying with that vibration. I am considering buying the Ported TB but is it worth it? Are the gains worth $305? Is it more responsive? Do you need to Re-Tune? Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online