Article vs Post

Camdo

Original poster
May 16, 2015
What is the difference between an article and a post?
What are the advantages and disadvantages for the writer?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
An article is if you have something to contribute such as an how-to guide. If you look at the articles and submissions area, it has a great deal of information about different mods you can do to your vehicle. Really in depth write ups with a lot of them having very detailed diagrams and pictures. You don't want to post questions in there unless you are performing a mod that is discussed. Like for example, you don't want to post a problem about a check engine code you have in the articles section. You would however want to post something in the article section if nobody has brought up your idea on how to do something, like lets say how to add aftermarket lightbars on the truck. It would be your tutorial and would be public so other members and non-members can see it and respond (only if a member on the site though) to tell you about your idea or submit question or suggestions on it.

A post would be the most common method for asking your question about something if you cannot find anybody elses article pertaining to your problem. Like lets say you have an issue where your idle speed is bad after removing your battery or your truck dies when you turn on the A/C. If you do a simple search in the top right it will give you the results for others who mentioned the same problem and you will find TONS of posts stating to start by cleaning the throttle body out. Now if you have a weird problem that after your due diligence searching you cannot find any posts or articles on, then you can create a new post in the appropriate category and wait for others to see it and reply to it with more troubleshooting steps for you to take, shoot suggestions on what you can do to try and correct the problem or offer assistance in other ways.

We have a lot of great members on here who contribute a lot of very helpful information so you are in good hands here. Welcome to the nation!

Upvote 0

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No advantage for author. Some posts become articles if good enough.

Upvote 0

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Articles are categorized as such due to importance and keeping them easily searchable. A post can be lost over time, but the articles are placed for easy reference for members of the site.

Upvote 0

Camdo

Original poster
May 16, 2015
HARDTRAILZ said:
Articles are categorized as such due to importance and keeping them easily searchable. A post can be lost over time, but the articles are placed for easy reference for members of the site.
I agree with that concept, but there are flaws in the system.
If search is within a sub-forum, it does not find articles in the "Article Submissions" forum.
If search is from the root forum, it finds articles but also posts from forums of no interest.
To do a specific search, one has to search the proper sub-forum and then search the Articles forum. This is cumbersome.

The "Articles Submission" forum is an uncategorized mixed up assemblage.

It seems like it would be better to just make a post in whatever sub-forum it belongs and flag it as an article.
A root search of "Article" would then produce a list with the same content as the present "Article Submissions" forum.
Now, one could browse the sub-forum and see posts and articles, and a sub-forum search will produce pertinent posts and articles.

Upvote 0

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I guess i just dont have that trouble, but I will pass it along so some of the powers that be can take note of the thought and see if they like your way better.

Upvote 0

Camdo

Original poster
May 16, 2015
HARDTRAILZ said:
I guess i just dont have that trouble, but I will pass it along so some of the powers that be can take note of the thought and see if they like your way better.
Thanks HARDTRAILZ

Is the first post of an article suppressed from the quote button?

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
There is not a perfect search engine on any forum site out there. If you know information is here and search can't locate it, use Google. "search term :gmtnation.com" will search the entire gmtnation.com site

Upvote 0

Camdo

Original poster
May 16, 2015
djthumper said:
There is not a perfect search engine on any forum site out there. If you know information is here and search can't locate it, use Google. "search term :gmtnation.com" will search the entire gmtnation.com site
My concern is not so much with the search function, although I have pointed out one of its failures. The cause of that failure is with the way the material is organized on GMT. For example: If I enter sub-forum TrailBlazer > Engine & Drivetrain, I should see a list of everything the forum has on that subject. But I do not. Articles about TrailBlazer drivetrains are excluded. This is fundamentally wrong.

GMT is using the word "Article" as an adjective meaning "significant write up". Whereas the rest of the forum is organized into categories of vehicle functions (nouns). This is a confusing structure. When exceptions to the basic structure are made, unexpected results happen. The necessity of a double search is just one of those unexpected results.

As I stated earlier, the problem goes away if a post is simply flagged "Article", and the "Article Submission" forum is replaced with "Article Search".

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Basically what I have told you exists on multiple forums. The staff is working on some other things to try to improve the forums. At this time you are the only one that is having an issue with the search, it is not so much of a priority at this time. It could be addressed in the other things that are in the works.

Upvote 0

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Give us a bit and this may all come out in the big wash on the horizon :wink:

Reactions: djthumper
Upvote 0

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
How about "ignorance is bliss"? No other complaints because nobody has noticed. If I do the Goggle search as I have done for nearly my entire time in this forum, I find solutions to my challenges in posts. Never knowing I might find something better in an article that isn't being searched in.

Damn, I now know there may be a better way, but I can't access it!!! :hissyfit:

LOL - Articles..... who'd have thunk?

Reactions: djthumper
Upvote 0

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
djthumper said:
This is how I always search the forum. Wanna have fun? Type in gmtnation.com and your user name in Google, it will basically bring up every single post you have ever made and pictures you have posted. Lol

Upvote 0

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Does the new layout still have an articles section? I see the Article Submissions forum, but I can't find the actual Articles anymore.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We lost the "article" tag with the upgrade but the articles themselves are still there in that section.

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online