Are Trailblazer/Envoy hood interchangeable w/ Saab 97x?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Are Trailblazer/Envoy hood interchangeable w/ Saab 97x?

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Vehicle side opening measures just over 60" at the windshield. Closer to the headlights it's at 58 1/2". Gotta figure out some photo hosting as my old Photobucket is no good anymore.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can tell you it's a big fat no. Unless you can find one from a truck that was in the desert, they are all rusted. I had to settle on a partially rusted one from Central NY. Otherwise, you may be able to get one from Sweden. Part # 89044602

Plunking that number in Google got me several results. GM parts suppliers say it's discontinued but Saab suppliers says it's available. This one seems to be the cheapest:
https://www.saabpartscounter.com/oem-parts/saab-hood-89044602

Reactions: xavierny25

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
thanks for images you'rs looks exactly as mine, minus the the brace over the battery.

is the front part of your hoods paint bubbled and I think a layer of plastic over the metal hood has trapped water and is rusting from inside out?

are you saying a trailblazer hood will fit the 97x however there are no unrusted availbale hoods.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No. All the hoods are different shapes on the front. They cannot be interchanged between the different models. Exception would be the Envoy and the Ascender.

Reactions: xavierny25

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
are you trying to say that only the envoy and asender have interchangeable hoods like a envoy hood will fit a asender and vice versa?

is the front part of your hoods paint bubbled and I think a layer of plastic over the metal hood has trapped water and is rusting from inside out?

the 97x is a oddball hood only fitting a 97x?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My old Trailblazer's hood never rusted out (somehow) but I know others have.

A 9-7x isn't an oddball because its hood only fits a 9-7x.

A Trailblazer requires a Trailblazer hood.
A Bravada requires a Bravada hood.
A Rainier requires a Rainier hood.

The only oddball is the Ascender and Envoy as they use the same hood, so yes those are interchangeable. But, look at their front ends and it is easy to see why. But no others are interchangeable.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
are you trying to say that the hood on a 97x will only fit a 97x

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
YES. That's what I just said twice now.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
switch to plan B glue on a bug deflecter to cover the bubbled paint. so who make a decent BD?
Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
None that fits the 9-7x AFAIK. I did have one from a TrailBlazer on it for a while but had to bend it out of shape. Looked weird.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Use black vinyl and wrap it like a bugshield

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
anyone know where the hood usalley rusts. please images of the famous GM midsized rusted hood.

looks like GM boned me on a defective hood.

I know what vinyl is, not see wrapping over rust. or is there a layer of plastic over the metal hood

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hood rusts at front edge. Google for any images you want.

GM did not bone you. Its a vehicle over a decade old. Rust happens.

there is no plastic on the hood.

If you dont want to vinyl to cover it then pony up and pay to get the metal redone at a body shop or find a rust-free hood.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Actually, the 9-7x had problems when they were not so old and still under warranty with hood rusting problems. Lots of it documented on the Internet. They did replace some under warranty when Saab was still under GM.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al

Attachments

• saab92x_4.jpg
    saab92x_4.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its not

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Seems way better than using an Envoy or TB one that is the basic same size.

Reactions: I_Shoot_Back

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
after close observation the envoy/TB are completely different.
this fords shape is kindof saabish.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Kinda like this ford?

1520952698690.png

Reactions: I_Shoot_Back

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Mine in's pretty good shape, but I did get a new one via insurance from an accident. I rear-ended a guy as I pulled off the lot from buying. Not one of my better moments. To be fair, I was trying to set my GPS to go home before pulling out onto the street and didn't have the brake pushed hard enough. Torque, eh?

Anyway, got my new hood about 6 or so years ago, not complaints so far.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Put a bug shield on it and you will be set

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
The hood rust is worst than I initially thought. It actually flexs at the hold down attachment, I have to slam it to lock it into place.

My friend has a trail blazer regular hood (unrusted) that he mite let me have.

I’m to the point that I don’t care what this thing looks like, just so I can open and close the hood. remember I park this vehicle at a public boat ramps for 3-5 days at a time people tend not to mess to much w/ a shittie looking vehicle.

So the trail blazer regular hood is almost the same diemensions except the front curved area like it will bolt on and function? where and how much bending was required? did you happen to have a image.

Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.