are these my sway bar links and could they make this noise..

bleu7

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Hello so while doing my oil change i noticed these parts, are they my sway bar links, and is replacing them as easy as unscrewing the top and bottom bolt?

I am asking because since I had my front differential changed out i noticed a noise when I go on bumps or such its a rattling noise I asked the mechanic who did my differential he said it was my sway bar links, I havemt had the time or extra money to change them out but if its something I can do id love to take care of it the wheels rattle so much when I go on bumps or such.

I noticed the botls were loose can they just be tighten or should I replace
?

UPDATE: tried to tighten the lower bolt and it just kept going it seems it wont tigthen completely anymore.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1338650601692.jpg
    PicsArt_1338650601692.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 7

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If the nuts are loose, they will definitely make noise. The end of the bolt should have a hex recess you can put a metric allen wrench into to stop the bolt from turning. Then you need a box wrench to turn the nut, not a socket. Often, this will be unsuccessful. Removing the end links uses the same process. Somewhat more often, THIS process is unsuccessful and you have to get out the cutoff wheel or angle grinder or Sawzall to remove the noisy links. Lots of previous discussion you will find in a short search.

What happened to the front diff that made a replacement necessary? :eek:

And how many miles do you have, and are you current on all other fluid changes, especially the 50K transfer case interval?

bleu7

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
the roadie said:
If the nuts are loose, they will definitely make noise. The end of the bolt should have a hex recess you can put a metric allen wrench into to stop the bolt from turning. Then you need a box wrench to turn the nut, not a socket. Often, this will be unsuccessful. Removing the end links uses the same process. Somewhat more often, THIS process is unsuccessful and you have to get out the cutoff wheel or angle grinder or Sawzall to remove the noisy links. Lots of previous discussion you will find in a short search.

What happened to the front diff that made a replacement necessary? :eek:

And how many miles do you have, and are you current on all other fluid changes, especially the 50K transfer case interval?

cutoff wheel....are you trying to say that trying to remove the old links wont be as simple as taking a wrench to the bolt and going left....will do search now...

front differential....well honestly, no idea. one night i was driving down the highway and suddenly i hear some horrible noise start then i stop and look for any debris and nothing so i start driving again and it starts again getting louder as i go faster, so i finally realized if i stayed under 20mph it wouldnt make noise...a few mechanic shops later i come to find out it was my front differential that had gone bad, i dont know how it happened though, i never go off roading, i wonder if it had anything to do with that one night my car was towed....i say that because ever since the vehicle was purchased in 2005 it had been driven in AUTO not 2HI, 4Hi, 4Lo, but in Auto since the great knowledgeable agent at Car Max said it was the proper way,....so 50,000 miles later KABOOm, it goes out

i found "the other site" a few years back and came to find out that AUTO is not the setting for regular driving, which makes no sense to me....anyways

so i had to drive my vehicle from 30 miles away to my house under 20mph the whole time or slower at times, later on i came to find out that if i had switched it to 2HI it would had driven perfectly fine

shortly after getting the front diff changed, i read up on her and asked questions and was taught how to change my Transfer Case and Rear Differential liquids, which i did about 6,000 miles ago :biggrin:
:crazy::crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.