Are there any A/T tires out there for stock 18-inch rims?

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I'm down to 4/32 on my 2008 Trailblazer LT with Michelin Latitude Tour (245/60/r18). They have been GREAT tires...it felt like a new truck when I got them. Anyway, since this is no longer our family "truckster" and more of a local camping, hunting, fishing and camper towing vehicle, I was hoping to get some more aggressive tires for snow, mud, mild off-road.

What I'm finding is that 18" wheels have very little out there in the way of all terrain (or ANYTHING more than an all season tire) on the market. :mad:

The local Discount Tire recommended a Hankook Dynapro ATM. I guess those look ok, but if I had a choice, I'd go with something even more aggressive.

If this truck had around 50k miles, I might consider dumping some money into a small lift, spacers, dumping the rims for aftermarket and get some 30's or something, but she's recently crossed the 100k mark and I don't feel like making that financial commitment now.

Do you folks have any experience with decent 18" A/T tires that I may not have run across yet? (The only ones I've found are the Hankook's mentioned above)

Or, am I stuck with the choice of less aggressive tread OR swapping out the 18" wheels for a more common size to achieve my tread needs?

Thanks!!
:cool:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you go with 255-60-18 you have some options

Nitto Terra Grappler AT
General Grabber AT2
Hankook ATM
Pirelli ATR

Reactions: NeWtIcUs

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
In 265-60-18 there is

Pirelli ATR
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
Cooper ATP
Cooper A/T3

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
My 07 TBLT came with the same size and type of tire. When I upgraded, I went with a Cooper Discoverer LSX Plus tire in 245/60R18. More aggressive tread and is good for 65,000 miles. It has performed well in rain, snow, and sand. Not much offroading in the mud though. Here is a pic of the tread.

53359_1.jpg

I will be due for tires most likely next winter and searching for tires, I have found there is not many AT type options if you stick with 245/60R18. You have a few more options going with 255/60R18 and even more options going with 265/60R18, like mentioned above. I run 265/50/R20 wheels/tires in the summer, so you should not have any fitment issues going with a wider 265/60R18.

Three tires I was looking at in the 265/60R18 are listed below. The two Cooper tires are rated at 55,000 miles and the Hankook is rated at 50,000 miles. The Coopers are cheaper as well, around $165 per tire. The Hankook is around $190 per tire.

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10
hanrh7_ang.jpg

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (I was leaning towards this tire)
t_20110624_coprh9_ang.jpg

Cooper Discoverer ATP
t_20111101_copra6_ang.jpg

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I'll be researching all of the brands/sizes mentioned above.

I also found that Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's come in 265/60/18 at my local Discount Tire, so I'll be taking a look at those as well. I've read really good things about them, so I'll throw those into the mix.

Whatever I end up with, I'll make sure to update this thread with a pic and information on ride, noise, cost, etc...

Thanks again!!

Reactions: dmanns67

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Ok, decided to play hooky and get this taken care of today.

Visited my local Discount Tire and they were gonna give me a good deal on a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's in 265/60/r18. The tires were at another location and had to be delivered to my location; it was gonna be a 2-3 hour wait. So, I left and came back a few hours later for the installation.

They tested the passenger side front for fit before they changed all of them. Apparently there was nearly 1/4 inch clearance between the upper ball joint and the tire. So, they went ahead and put the rest on.

They drove it out and it looked awesome. I got in, drove 4 feet and heard rubbing. I pulled into the parking lot and checked the driver side front. I'm surprised the tire even rolled it was pinned so tightly against the upper ball joint. :lipsrsealed:

So, there I was with an awesome set of tires I couldn't even use. I had them take them off while we looked for alternatives they had in stock....which was zip.

So, I spend half my day sitting in the lobby dinking around on my phone to end up going home with the tires I drove in on.

It seems that the journey continues. :hissyfit:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Really. I am surprised there was rubbing since you did not increase the sidewall height, only the width of the tire two sizes up.

Like I mentioned above, I had no fitment issues running 265/50/R20. The TBSS wheels overall diameter is actually taller than the overall diameter of the stock 18" wheels with 245/60 tires. My suspension is stock and I am not using any wheel spacers either.

So what are you looking for now? 255/60R18s?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If one side clears n other doesn't...is your alignment good?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Alignment doesn't affect upper ball joint clearance. Bent rim or steering knuckle could.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bad alignment w lca shoved in one side and out other side does weird shit. Found that out w the one lifted SS I worked on n we ended up taking lift off of.

But your ideas prolly more likely.

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
So what are you looking for now? 255/60R18s?
I'm not sure yet...my brother is an off-roader (Jeep) and he's suggesting dumping the 18" rims and getting some smaller diameter rims with more backspacing. That would open up my tire options a bit as well.

...is your alignment good?
I thought about that...but at the time I couldn't drive it, so it was moot. I will be getting it checked with new tires coming though...don't want to burn through them faster than necessary. :cool:

I will be spending the next few days poring over posts here to determine what my course of action is: Tires (obviously), wheels (maybe??), spacers?, lift? :biggrin: who knows?!.

My original train of thought was to keep all of this (sans a potential bent steering knuckle :rotfl: ) at, or below $1k.

But after seeing some decent shoes on my TB it made me immediately want to do more.

Thanks again for the replies!!

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

kcb58h

Dec 25, 2014
North Texas
NeWtIcUs said:
I'm down to 4/32 on my 2008 Trailblazer LT with Michelin Latitude Tour (245/60/r18). They have been GREAT tires...it felt like a new truck when I got them. Anyway, since this is no longer our family "truckster" and more of a local camping, hunting, fishing and camper towing vehicle, I was hoping to get some more aggressive tires for snow, mud, mild off-road.

What I'm finding is that 18" wheels have very little out there in the way of all terrain (or ANYTHING more than an all season tire) on the market. :mad:

The local Discount Tire recommended a Hankook Dynapro ATM. I guess those look ok, but if I had a choice, I'd go with something even more aggressive.

If this truck had around 50k miles, I might consider dumping some money into a small lift, spacers, dumping the rims for aftermarket and get some 30's or something, but she's recently crossed the 100k mark and I don't feel like making that financial commitment now.

Do you folks have any experience with decent 18" A/T tires that I may not have run across yet? (The only ones I've found are the Hankook's mentioned above)

Or, am I stuck with the choice of less aggressive tread OR swapping out the 18" wheels for a more common size to achieve my tread needs?

Thanks!!

kcb58h

Dec 25, 2014
North Texas
kcb58h said:

Thanks!!
I have 265/65/18 BFG A/T KO RWL on American Racing 6 split spoke rims (I dunno the name). Stock 6x5" bc and offset. NO SPACERS NEEDED. 2" R/C level kit. Stock coils. NO mods to truck except removed 8" of interior fender well.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I don't have the 18" but just a word on AT tires. I've had Cooper Discoverer AT3 on my TB for a little over a year now, and I love them. They look great, and since I bought a '10 Malibu last January, the TB is no longer my highway vehicle so it gets put to work around the new house. I primarily use the TB for pulling my utility trailer, a few dozen trips to Home Depot a week, and when the weather gets bad, its the first choice to run through snow.

The tires perform beautifully. I did find that when I chalk tested them, I had to run the pressure much lower than I expected, right around 30psi, so keep them from riding on the center of the tread. One year in they only have maybe 6k miles on them, but virtually no sign of wear at all.

They hum mildly at 45-50mph, but the hum goes completely away over 60mph, so nice and quiet on the highway. I did lose 3-4 mpg average after installing them.

I tested them heavily last winter with the record snowfall, including a day where we got several feet and I decided to take the back way to work to see how they did. At one point I found myself in snow over the hood, and in the back of my mind heard the guy from Indiana Jones say "You chose .....poorly" but I actually pushed straight through it for a good 50 feet of drift, and was very pleased with the performance.

Do expect a different feel when you switch to AT tires. My TB tends to "dance" a bit more than it used to on All Seasons. My wife is not a fan, but once I got used to it it no longer bothers me. The stiffer design of AT tires makes them tend to try to follow cracks in the road, not like it tries to pull hard, but you can feel it wiggle a bit from time to time.

Overall the AT3 seem to be a great combo of on and off road driving, with very little downside.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
SBUBandit said:
The stiffer design of AT tires makes them tend to try to follow cracks in the road, not like it tries to pull hard, but you can feel it wiggle a bit from time to time.
It is not the stiffness that causes this. It is the tread grabbing. You should try some swampers...they will follow a crack in the pavement off a cliff if you let them.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
3-4mpg loss seems pretty drastic. Heavier load range tires maybe? I didn't lose that much with my lift and going up in tire size.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
SBUBandit said:
I don't have the 18" but just a word on AT tires. I've had Cooper Discoverer AT3 on my TB for a little over a year now, and I love them. They look great, and since I bought a '10 Malibu last January, the TB is no longer my highway vehicle so it gets put to work around the new house. I primarily use the TB for pulling my utility trailer, a few dozen trips to Home Depot a week, and when the weather gets bad, its the first choice to run through snow.

The tires perform beautifully. I did find that when I chalk tested them, I had to run the pressure much lower than I expected, right around 30psi, so keep them from riding on the center of the tread. One year in they only have maybe 6k miles on them, but virtually no sign of wear at all.

They hum mildly at 45-50mph, but the hum goes completely away over 60mph, so nice and quiet on the highway. I did lose 3-4 mpg average after installing them.

I tested them heavily last winter with the record snowfall, including a day where we got several feet and I decided to take the back way to work to see how they did. At one point I found myself in snow over the hood, and in the back of my mind heard the guy from Indiana Jones say "You chose .....poorly" but I actually pushed straight through it for a good 50 feet of drift, and was very pleased with the performance.

Do expect a different feel when you switch to AT tires. My TB tends to "dance" a bit more than it used to on All Seasons. My wife is not a fan, but once I got used to it it no longer bothers me. The stiffer design of AT tires makes them tend to try to follow cracks in the road, not like it tries to pull hard, but you can feel it wiggle a bit from time to time.

Overall the AT3 seem to be a great combo of on and off road driving, with very little downside.
I was going to go with the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 as well next time I am due for tires. Since they have discontinued the Cooper Discoverer LSX plus tires and have been replaced by these.

Like Sparky mentioned, 3-4 mpg seems like an extreme loss just by switching tires.

chipjumper

May 4, 2014
I've had AT3's on a Colorado and a newer burban 2500 (8-ply) and they handle amazing. Silica rubber compound stays soft when it's cold out. Be advised though, even the crappiest snow tire is 10x better than any "all season" tire. Scour craigslist for an existing set of snow tires. I found a nice nearly new set of Blizzaks mounted on very nice aluminum wheels for $600. Guy threw in and entire set of Weathertech digitalfit mats for $40. The deals are out there. I can still drive like an escaped convict on the freeway when it's snow covered with these Blizzaks.

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Again....thanks for all the input thus far.

Took another trip to the local discount tire to go over more options. Really cool guy there talked with me for quite a while about my options. I brought up all the brands and sizes mentioned in this thread and wound up ordering a set of Nitto Terra Grappler's in 255/60/18. Mostly due to the combination of cost, availability and hopeful fit. Will throw up a pic when I get them on.

I do have a fall-back if I have fit issues with these too...I'll just go back to the Michelin latitude tours that I am currently running...very good tires.....just not A/T.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Thanks for the update. Makes me wonder if I would have fitment issues with 265/60 tires. Hopefully you have no issues with the 255/60 tires.

Looking forward to seeing the tires.

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Thanks for the update. Makes me wonder if I would have fitment issues with 265/60 tires.
That was the killer for me! The tech did a fit test on the front passenger side and he said I had a quarter inch of clearance...so they proceeded with the install of the Duratrac's. I really wanted those tires! Lol

One of the first things I do after the new tires are on is to get an alignment and check out the front suspension components (including the steering knuckle Roadie mentioned) to ensure everything is up to snuff.

.....actually....maybe I should do that first. [emoji41]

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Did you get them yet? I am curious to see how they look.

A co-worker has the AT3s on his Envoy and loves them. I had the predecessor, ATRs, on a Jimmy and they were great even in mud.

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Bow_Tied said:
Did you get them yet? I am curious to see how they look.
I have not. Still waiting for DT to call and let me know they have arrived. Will most certainly throw up some before and after pics.

Stay tuned.... :biggrin:

Reactions: Bow_Tied

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Ok....Got the Nitto's on after work today.

Before...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422059934.976119.jpg

After...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422059953.159066.jpg

Before...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422059969.825718.jpg

After...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422059987.059063.jpg

Saved my ass on the way home too!! Some jacko swerved into my driver door to avoid a fender bender and the combination of new tires and my lightning fast reflexes avoided a nice little collision by mere inches. [emoji12]

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I'd like to say thanks to everyone who pitched in with ideas and advice. I appreciate every post.

I'd also like to note that the UBJ clearance was 1/4 inch on BOTH SIDES with the Nitto's.

Go figure.

:confused:

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Sorry if I missed it, but are the Nittos 255/60R18? The look good by the way. The old tires almost looked like slicks :eek:
Yes they are 255/60R18. You have a good eye! :biggrin:

The Michelin Latitude Tours I was running had 63k+ miles and were hovering around 4/32...so, yes...basically slicks. :yes:

wwwyzard

Jun 22, 2016
Up on the mountain
So I read this after I order a set of Duratrac's in 265/60/18's and sure enough today when getting them switched out the fronts are rubbing on the UBJ.

tire-rub.jpg

So I left the rears on put my 2 good tires from old mis-matched pairs back on front to get out of there. I'm not giving up on the Duratracs though, I need them for my goat paths that I call my backyard.

Now, I'm heading over to:
http://wheeladapter.com/trailblazer_wheel_spacers.php

Picking up this set of 1.5" spacers made specifically for TB's (Hub & Wheel Centric):

image-trailblazer_spacer-small.jpg

I'll report back in a week or so when I get the parts, and get back to the shop with everything to get it all put together.

Figured this will save any other TB owners the hassle.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
So I read this after I order a set of Duratrac's in 265/60/18's and sure enough today when getting them switched out the fronts are rubbing on the UBJ.

View attachment 76759

So I left the rears on put my 2 good tires from old mis-matched pairs back on front to get out of there. I'm not giving up on the Duratracs though, I need them for my goat paths that I call my backyard.

Now, I'm heading over to:
http://wheeladapter.com/trailblazer_wheel_spacers.php

Picking up this set of 1.5" spacers made specifically for TB's (Hub & Wheel Centric):

View attachment 76760

I'll report back in a week or so when I get the parts, and get back to the shop with everything to get it all put together.

Figured this will save any other TB owners the hassle.
I wpuld highly advise not using those. Guys including myself have bought economy MarkMC knock off spacers and have gotten burned. I would only trust Mark's products for our platform. And no I'm not sponsored. I've just thrown away a lot of money by buying knock off parts.

wwwyzard

Jun 22, 2016
Up on the mountain
I wpuld highly advise not using those. Guys including myself have bought economy MarkMC knock off spacers and have gotten burned. I would only trust Mark's products for our platform. And no I'm not sponsored. I've just thrown away a lot of money by buying knock off parts.

Well no sheet, I was under the impression that wheeladapter.com was good quality. Thanks for the heads up, I wasnt going to order till tomorrow so good timing. Do you have a link to the MarkMC's handy by chance?

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They look decent but they're more expensive than Mark's. $219 for the LTZ wheel spacers (not sure the difference) vs $365 for the others.

wwwyzard

Jun 22, 2016
Up on the mountain
They look decent but they're more expensive than Mark's. $219 for the LTZ wheel spacers (not sure the difference) vs $365 for the others.

Thanks for the heads up again, saved me some bucks for sure!
I went with Mark's just now, will post pics when it's all together in a week or so.

FYI: Per Mark in email: "Regular wheel spacers are for use on LT and LS model Trailblazer stock wheels. Only the LTZ model needs special spacers due to a smaller hub bore."

Reactions: Denali n DOO

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks good

kcb58h

Dec 25, 2014
North Texas

Thanks!!

I've got 265/65/18 BFG A/T KOs (31.6") on 04 EXT with a 2" RC level kit. Trimmed 4" from front interior wheel wells.
No sheetmetal trimming, no rubbing issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online