Are the rear lift gates of the trailbler, and trailblazer ext the same?

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I have a regular 2002 trailblazer. The rear license plate frame attachments broke off, and now the whole center wants to pull out when trying to open the hatch. Pus the bottom lip is rusted some. I found a trailblazer ext that is parting out and the whole hatch on it is perfect. Was wondering if an ext rear gate was the same as mine. Thanks for any help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No. Totally different. Just the license pocket and internals interchange.

Reactions: TollKeeper

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I'm looking into swapping out my rear hatch as well, went to a boneyard who has access to interchange software and said that the hatches were interchangeable. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but more inclined to believe Mooseman. Have to look closely at these once spring gets closer.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check.using car-part.com. IIRC it asks if it's an EXT or a SWB.

Reactions: JerryIrons

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Mooseman is right on this one. Completely different, for the EXT, the top sail panel is taller, the door is physically bigger, and other things. I dont think even the window will interchange.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I'd be absolutely shocked if @Mooseman is incorrect. The hatch on an EXT is visibly taller. I don't even think the glass interchanges.

Check.using car-part.com. IIRC it asks if it's an EXT or a SWB.
It does - they're not the same.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Alright thanks for the info. Is the license plate frame breaking a common thing on the trailblazers? I went to a swb version parting out, and its license plate frame was busted loose aswell. Is there a way to fix it? I havent tried to take it off to see what broke yet.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Alright thanks for the info. Is the license plate frame breaking a common thing on the trailblazers? I went to a swb version parting out, and its license plate frame was busted loose aswell. Is there a way to fix it? I havent tried to take it off to see what broke yet.

I had to fix my pocket as well. I used 4 5/16 SS carriage bolts thru from the outside and nutted them inside. I'll snap a picture later. Looks decent and beats paying for paint.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Trucks dirty with road salt, but you can see the repaired pocket.

y4mav7CDDn-qGuW6NCrXtnVHh8JDtdqKliyTD-LaLO9C8QvHcF1s_KrknhHw81JBTIdnDeEHwXfMDW2zMTAf6j3qWEVQcjY4QEPSjqEjOdjMdGwSMKedoYxZceAbtZaAnwDtpKxG_-idGe-zTfKB-NBr03zLVEoO1rwZH_42cuvAuSGE_0kUL5vWqVVt6I6MLCXwyIy9O5TE0DEteODYR0TKw

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for that......that was one of my plans to temporarily fix it. That or to try and epoxy the pieces back together.... if thats whats broke. I didnt know if either way was feasible. Now I know...lol Best case scenario would prolly be rusted broken bolts.....which is unlikely. Prolly broken plastic brackets the bolts go in. I will prolly have to do the carriage bolt thing. I doubt epoxy will hold it back together very strong.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online