Are the '02 & '04 Atlas Engines Fully Interchangeabe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Will a 2004 Traliblazer Engine drop into a 2002 Trailblazer LS without any "Fussing or Fighting"...?

Would appreciate an RSVP ...ASAP on this one...Thanks in Advance for all rapid replies...

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Crickets....? Uh...Oh.... :duh: Oh...SH*T...!!! I think I know what just happened...:eek: Better Pull the Pin While the Getting is GOOD...:lightbulb: Before I Get Snyped...!

LOL :crackup:You Guys Kill me... LOL...Oh Well... Live and Learn, Huh? :dunce: But ...Its Cool... I Would NOT have Blamed :rant:any of my GMT Nation Brothers for doing so..:goodevil:....Not when such a Deal like this one comes up...:celebrate:

GM2004GMATLASLL8.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pretty sure it will be just fine. Some minor changes happened in 05, then larger ones in 06+

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks ... @Sparky ... Now I just have to figure how to get this Big :biggrin: Smile off of my face. And I also have to begin to plan for the R&R and get my son to help with getting it all done. Since "Content is King" here at GMT Nation...Do you think there would be any interest in my documenting everything that will follow along with Digital Images to show how it all goes? If the topic has been "Done to Death" already... I'll shine this one on.

As for the $85K Post... As soon as this engine is nestled inside the '02 TB...and the Old Engine is out and mounted on an engine stand... Ill get back to working on it and finish those engine repairs that we started as well. Hell... Right now I am sitting in a sort glow and I have no idea how to act right now... because this Drop In Replacement (after I Freshen Things Up a Bit) will give me some breathing space (and driveway space) that I have not experienced at any time during this on-going process for almost Two Years now.

It just occurred to me that since I have not as yet installed the Brand New Head on th 2002 Engine... That motor might be a candidate for fresh Rings and Crankshaft Bearings... Hmmmm... I'll have to think about that... First things First. So ... anyway... We'll see what happens... I will need a To-Do List for whatever retro-fit changes I will need to make...as soon as I figure out what those will be...

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'd document it. Why not? :biggrin:

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
How many miles are supposedly on it? Looks pretty clean for the price.

IIANM... Around 160K... Looks Clean...Inside and Out... My guess is that if it weren't wrecked... judging from the "Retired Military" stickers on the Lift Gate (Korean War Veteran and a Mason, Too...? Jesus Palomino...He must be close to around 80 or 90 Years Old...!) and the comfortable Blue-Gray leather interior... that the Prior Owner would not have parted with it... Ever.

I am sorry for his loss... I hope he (or she) was not hurt in the accident ...and I'll do my dead level best to give his engine a Good Home... He is now an Unofficial Member of GMT NATION

GM2004LL8A.jpg GM2004LL8B.jpg GM2004LL8C.jpg GM2004LL8D.jpg GM2004LL8E.jpg GM2004LL8F.jpg GM2004LL8G.jpg GM2004LL8H.jpg GM2004LL8I.jpg GM2004LL8J.jpg

Attachments

• GM2004LL8K.jpg
    GM2004LL8K.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 7
  • GM2004LL8L.jpg
    GM2004LL8L.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Only things that are different between those years are the oil pan (for the oil level sensor in the '02) and the SAIS in '04. You can use the '02 block off for the SAIS. If you want to leave the pan alone, I have heard others say if you leave it unplugged, you won't get a low oil message but I think this was a step backwards for GM taking it out in later years.

All this to say, yeah, it'll work :2thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Is that really considered cheap for a high mileage engine cause around here it would be 500 or less, but I guess the free shipping is a good thing.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I just found 300 and 450 under 100K on CL Just doublechecking my thinking.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That was my thought...half that would be the shipping fee

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Only things that are different between those years are the oil pan (for the oil level sensor in the '02) and the SAIS in '04. You can use the '02 block off for the SAIS. If you want to leave the pan alone, I have heard others say if you leave it unplugged, you won't get a low oil message but I think this was a step backwards for GM taking it out in later years.

All this to say, yeah, it'll work :2thumbsup:

I have a second Crankcase-Pan available... completely prepped for install and ready to go... but I would not know what to look for as the "earmarks" of any differences. Here are the overall images (bottom of page showing my other parts) that I took last year:

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60...NEREPAIR/TRAILBLAZERENGINEPARTS?sort=2&page=4

Now the real dilemma is deciding whether or not to pull the Engine and Transmission as One Unit ...and of course figuring out how best to get it done.

Is that really considered cheap for a high mileage engine cause around here it would be 500 or less, but I guess the free shipping is a good thing.
One of the things I was looking at was the "KOREAN WAR VETERAN" and MASONIC LODGE Stickers and calculating the style and amount of driving a man that old would engage in ...and since being 80-90 years old is a bit of an impediment.. even down here in Florida...that perhaps the mileage done was "gentle" for the most part and the care and keeping from the Old Gent may have been such that he always put his Mares in the Barn at Night...Time will tell...it arrives in a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hopefully it was not his 18 year old grandchild that has been beating on the thing for 2 years and a quick 50K miles that wrecked it...

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Hopefully it was not his 18 year old grandchild that has been beating on the thing for 2 years and a quick 50K miles that wrecked it...
Yeah... In way.. its kind of sad that the bottom Crankshaft Cradle/Journal Capping assembly uses those GD TTY Bolts... just like those in the head... so examining the bottom end bearings while the oil pan and front case are off to R&R the Timing Chain Set and Oil Pump & New Re-Designed Pick-Up Tube Gasket...and then I could have gotten a feel for the condition of the Crankshaft journals and replaced the bearings down there.

Oh well... Welcome to "The Age of Smart Phones... and Dumb Engineers".... Christ ...the MONEY they could have made off of the after-market value of these amazing engines if regular mechanical skills and engine tear down accessibility had been there...is staggering.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its all part of the current throw away society

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

From the Movie "Raising Arizona"

Nathan Arizona Sr. is trying to get his kidnapped infant back and "The Evil Warthog From Hell" is negotiating a "Fair Price"....

Nathan Arizona Sr.: If you're looking for furniture or a sh*tbox, out there is the sales floor.
Leonard Smalls: I'm not a customer. I'm a man hunter. But I do hunt babies on occasion. I heard tell you got one you can't put your hand to.
Nathan Arizona Sr.: How do you know about that?
Leonard Smalls: That's my job. I'm a tracker. Some say part hound dog.
Nathan Arizona Sr.: I got the cops and the Federal BI out there lookin' for my boy...
Leonard Smalls: Cops won't find your boy. A cop couldn't find his butt if it had a bell on it.
Nathan Arizona Sr.: You want that $25,000 reward, you go ahead and claim it. What's there to talk about?
Leonard Smalls: Price. A fair price. That's not what you say it is, and it's not what I say it is... It's what the market will bear. Now there's people - and I know 'em - who'll pay a lot more than $25,000 for a healthy baby. Why, I myself fetched $30,000 on the black market. And that was 1954 dollars.
Name's Smalls. Leonard Smalls. My friends call me Lenny... only I ain't got no friends.
You want to find an outlaw, hire an outlaw. You want to find a Dunkin' Donuts, call a cop.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
upload_2016-6-23_15-11-35.jpeg

I choose not to spend extra on something readily available at a cheaper price and not support being part of what the market will bear. I allow the other suckers to overspend.

images

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Well... I'm always willing to learn from others... I would like to see the listings on the ones you mentioned earlier... just to see if I will wind up getting as badly hosed as your post implies:

"I just found 300 and 450 under 100K on CL Just doublechecking my thinking."

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
That was my thought...half that would be the shipping fee

This engine has GOT to weigh at least 700lbs with the head on. AT LEAST.
Calculate that into any shipping quote and I bet it's easily three quarters of what he paid.

That engine actually doesn't look bad. I know looks are deceptive (I should know, it's how I wound up with my ex).

ddgm

May 7, 2013
Just for fun I googled and it says a complete LL8 weighs 470 lbs. One of the reasons most engines today are aluminum is to get the weight down.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This engine has GOT to weigh at least 700lbs with the head on. AT LEAST. Calculate that into any shipping quote and I bet it's easily three quarters of what he paid. That engine actually doesn't look bad. I know looks are deceptive (I should know, it's how I wound up with my ex).

In any case "He" meaning "Me"...Bob... meaning "I" made the purchase and I appreciate your support Seth...with idea that while others who may or may not be able produce receipts to the effect of their actually BUYING any of the Lower Priced Engines being touted here... I can actually prove that I have done so with my second entry ...proof in fact, that I did so while saving just under $300 with Free Freight for my pick up at a nearby location.

And so any further discussion about what I should ...or should not have purchased at this point is moot and will remain academic until it gets here. And then... I promise you all a Front Row Seat to observe it up close and personal... and after becoming informed by the facts of what you see and after you manage to you pick over its bones, perhaps you'll be able to make a better judgement of the forgone conclusion that for better or worse... I own it... and who knows ...perhaps it will turn out that I made out better with my purchase than you might suppose.

The topic, Gentleman was the question of whether or not a 2002 LL8 Engine can be replaced by 2004 LL8... and anything else that speculates upon the quality of wisdom about whether to buy one over another is irrelevant. @Sparky and @Mooseman were kind enough to give me the information and answers I needed and so with that in mind this post deserves to be... closed.

Good Evening... Gentleman.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Looking forward to the R&R. Fire up a thread when you get to that engine and get working on the install.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Will Do... And Thanks Again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads