Are both U-Joints on the rear driveshaft the same?

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
After replacing the further most U joint Im getting another noise that is almost Exact to the one I was hearing when I replaced the U joint that connects the driveshaft to the rear axle, but now it seems to be further up and points to the other U joint at the transmission. Are they the same size? Going to go under there soon and see if that's what it is. Thanks,
Trent

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did you reassemble the driveshaft in phase? Meaning the U-joints lined up, oriented the same front and rear? Did you get all the C-clips installed?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Nevermind, scratch that. They will only go in one way. Which joint did you get? I have had bad luck with the Prescision joints and should have gone with Spicer originally, would have saved me a couple bucks.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
gmcman said:
Nevermind, scratch that. They will only go in one way. Which joint did you get? I have had bad luck with the Prescision joints and should have gone with Spicer originally, would have saved me a couple bucks.

I replaced the first one with Moog. The Non-Greaseable one. I'm going to order the same one off rockauto.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
rmsg0040 said:
I believe the rear driveshaft only has 1 u-joint

front one has 2

this is for 4x4

The rear has two but are a pain since they are epoxied in place....new ones take C-clips for retention.

You just need a propane torch or better yet MAPP gas and heat the yoke until the epoxy melts. That's the small white pimple-looking bump on the yoke.

It's possible to overstress the yoke when removing the u-joint if you don't heat it...not common but possible.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Yes you are correct,

Front has 1, rear has 2

Did mine earlier this year, as said use a torch

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online