Are all Dexron VI brands created equal?

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My "new to me" 08 Yukon XL Denali with 80k miles will soon be getting all of its fluids changed. It was a grocery getter and not a tow vehicle during the first 7 years of its life. Along with the differentials, transfer case, coolant, and engine oil, I'm going to do a transmission filter and fluid change out soon.

Do I stick with the oem tans fluid by ACDelco? Or should I consider national brands like Valvoline Max life ATF, Amsoil or Mobil 1? What do these 6l80e transmissions like to drink?

She's a dedicated tow vehicle for us...and will be pulling a travel trailer all over the midwest.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dex VI is licensed by GM so it has to meet their specs no matter the brand.Starting in 06, all GM transmissions were spec'd for Dex VI.

I doubt ACDelco makes their own fluids, probably made by one of the majors. I just bought a jug of ACDelco Dex VI and it was cheaper than Pennzoil.

I would also consider adding a tranny cooler for all the towing you will be doing with it.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I used NAPAs brand of Dex VI on both the TB and my current Sierra. About a buck cheaper per quart.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've always used Valvoline maxlife.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I have been told that there are only a few manufacturers that make all the brands. So as far as I know they are all the same, they have to be an exact formula. I bounce back and forth between ac Delco, and advanced auto/carquest brand depending on which is on sale. (advanced auto bought out carquest)

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The delco is made by a company in Canada I believe. I don't believe the amsoil is certified for dex 6.... but they claim it meets it. If you go that route I'd make sure they won't void your service contract for using fluid that isn't certified... I don't see why it would hurt. Amsoil is supposed to be pretty stout if you do go that way...

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Reactions: Busterbrown

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
Dex VI is licensed by GM so it has to meet their specs no matter the brand.Starting in 06, all GM transmissions were spec'd for Dex VI.

I doubt ACDelco makes their own fluids, probably made by one of the majors. I just bought a jug of ACDelco Dex VI and it was cheaper than Pennzoil.

I would also consider adding a tranny cooler for all the towing you will be doing with it.
That's exactly what I've been reading. Although I wanted to hear it from GM folks over at the Nation. I used Valvoline's MaxLIfe in my Rainier several years ago. Had run very strong for 4 years prior to me selling it this week. The new Yukon has the 6 speed 6l80e trans in it so I wasn't 100% sure GM spec'd it out for all of their transmissions.

The truck already has a aux trans cooler on it. I've read that some 6.2L owners have replaced the OEM cooler with a much larger aux cooler to help with their heavy duty towing demands. Most live down south or around extreme terrain and elevation changes, areas that really tax the transmission. For me, I think I'll keep the OEM aux cooler until next summer as I want to see how the truck performs in the winter months up north. I'd like to avoid hypothermic temps some owners complain of.

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
xavierny25 said:
I'm all over this! Just bought two 12qt cases of it. My transfer case uses it too, unlike the specialty GM Auto Trak II fluid that my 360 used.

Now I just have to clarify proper procedure with the flush. The fullsize truck forums aren't as active and comprehensive as the Nation.

Essentially:
1. Drop drop pain and drain fluid.
2. Change filter
3. Reinstall pan.
4. Add new fluid via dip stick (same amount removed from pan drop)
5. Disconnect/remove the top trans cooler line from the radiator and install a temporary barb fitting.
6. Attach 8 feet of clear vinyl 3/8" tubing to the barb with the other end routed into a 5 gallon bucket.
7. Turn engine on until fluid sputters out of the tube into the bucket. Then turn immediately off.
8. Refill pan (via dipstick) with same amount of trans fluid removed in step 7.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until fluid is clear and approxamately 12-14 quarts are removed.
10. Reinstall trans cooler line to radiator. Go have a beer.

If anyone has tips on this procedure with the 6l80 trans, please share!

Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The only thing that I would do different is to hook up the fitting/tube first and pump out 4 qts before dropping the pan. It makes the pan drop less messy.

I've never done it on a 6l80 but the procedure should work the same as the 4l60.

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
MAY03LT said:
The only thing that I would do different is to hook up the fitting/tube first and pump out 4 qts before dropping the pan. It makes the pan drop less messy.

I've never done it on a 6l80 but the procedure should work the same as the 4l60.
Yeah, good advice. I do have an l'cheapo hand pump that I've used to extract fluid down the dipstip. Easier just having the internal trans pump do it for me. Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just did it today and pumping it out first makes a huge difference. I didn't spill a single drop onto the driveway :wooot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online