Apparent Fuel leak ... any common starting points?

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hey Guys,
This is kind of a random question. Probably a dumb one but I love coming here, as I have over the years, and for what it's worth, I'm grateful for all the help I have received.

So as I exit the vehicle ('06 Envoy SLT), I smell gas so apparently there's a leak. Nothing under the vehicle that I can see yet after crawling under it, but haven't put it up in the air yet. It's been happening for about a week.

Like I said, this is a fairly random question so I apologize for that. I'm bored to tears at work so thought I'd ask and see if anyone has any good places to start looking, meaning is there anything that seems to be a common failure in this department?

As always, thank You!!! Stay cool out there!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you're in the rust belt, it could be your fuel pump top or lines. It might just be a pinhole for now with fuel just pooling on top of the tank but would get worse.

Reactions: Matt and jmonica

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It could even be your fuel fill or vent lines.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
If you're in the rust belt, it could be your fuel pump top or lines. It might just be a pinhole for now with fuel just pooling on top of the tank but would get worse.
Thanks Mooseman (As always). That gives me a place to start investigating. I appreciate it. Is it worth posting what I find or is this too random of a problem do you think?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Thanks Mooseman (As always). That gives me a place to start investigating. I appreciate it. Is it worth posting what I find or is this too random of a problem do you think?
It's a fairly common problem and already documented. You could do a "Investigating fuel smell" writeup with your results if you want.

Reactions: jmonica

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
It's a fairly common problem and already documented. You could do a "Investigating fuel smell" writeup with your results if you want.
OK, I most certainly will. Also, at some point I will become a paying member. I promise. It's the least I can do. I'm sorry that I haven't shelled out anything as of yet. Me = 💩!

Reactions: Mooseman

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
If the smell is near the drivers side rear, it's either the fuel filler neck or the lines on top of the tank. The filler neck can be checked from under the car, the lines you have to drop the tank.
On mine, it was the lines on top of the tank and I had to buy the lines, fuel pump and locking ring. The lines were so rusted to the fuel pump they wouldn't even come off.
Then about 3 years later the rubber hose on the filler neck split so I had to replace that, too.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember when the pump tops and lines were made of plastic. Was so much more durable and easy to remove. Guess there wasn't enough money to be made :frown:.

Reactions: JerryIrons

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online