Anyone used these kits?

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Saw two pretty decent deals on brake kits. One Callahan, they sell on Amazon as well but without the core refund. One Brakemotive, I know people here used to get their rotor/pad kits. Hadn't heard about them in a long time. These kits have the Powder coated calipers and all for $375ish after your core return.
Anyone have any experience with either one? Junk? Decent?
Care less about the pads.. more wondering about the rotors, caliper powder coating...

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=291998487574

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=282370608177

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Do you need new calipers? I know nothing about their calipers (Probably remans I'd have to guess anyway), but having used Brakemotive for years I've had no real issues with their pads or rotors at all. I don't have them on my truck yet because what it came with works, but when I do need brakes again it'll get Brakemotive more than likely.

I have a set of Brakemotive pads and rotors for my Camaro when I get around to it this year sometime.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I'm just OCD like that. I know in the almost 5 yrs I've had the truck it hasn't had calipers...they're probably original...plus I'm gonna go to the v8/SS brakes. So I need the bracket anyway.. figured may as well get the whole shooting match...I'm sure the calipers are reman which is fine just wonder the quality of the powder coating

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Say what????? What do you mean hasn't had calipers???? No need to replace the caliper unless there leaking,the bleeder broke off or there sticking. Pads and rotors and call it a day maybe even bleed out all the old brake fluid.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
:bonk:Lol like i said...OCD... my father's a mechanic...I get it from him...and I've always been real OCD about brakes in particular...I may talk myself into painting them and leaving them on there but ...we'll see... definitely need fluid flush and new hoses tho

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Saw two pretty decent deals on brake kits. One Callahan, they sell on Amazon as well but without the core refund. One Brakemotive, I know people here used to get their rotor/pad kits. Hadn't heard about them in a long time. These kits have the Powder coated calipers and all for $375ish after your core return.
Anyone have any experience with either one? Junk? Decent?
Care less about the pads.. more wondering about the rotors, caliper powder coating...

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=291998487574

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=282370608177
Those are just remans, but Callahan and BrakeMotive are good brands. I might end up getting their remans at some point as well.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
to be honest cross drilled and slotted rotors unless for a racing team that has been researched and developed will do nothing but hurt you and may cause an accident from heat stress and cracking and breaking. No joke. They are not bad kits either one you choose, but make sure you get a motiv power bleeder with adapter because you do not want any air in the system and a way to bleed the abs unit.

My opinion I would do hawk or ebc pads and rotors and call it a day.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Never have had Brakemotive's rotors stress crack and I've used them for years. They seem to do the job "right" as far as the cross drilling is concerned.

Reactions: Capote and Tiggerr

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Never have had Brakemotive's rotors stress crack and I've used them for years. They seem to do the job "right" as far as the cross drilling is concerned.
They're a reputable brand :2thumbsup:

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I'm always leery of internet brake kits, but check out PowerStop's Evolution kit. They're fine with factory calipers. Core charge for something from EBay? That's kinda silly, though.

Callahan Brake Pads, all I see is Chris Farley.

Reactions: C-ya

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Callahan Brake Pads, all I see is Chris Farley.

Yep, me too! Didn't know they were a real company. Go Tommy Boy!

I don't drink the drilled or slotted Kool-Aid. The science is just not there and are actually not safe.
WHY Blank rotors are better than cross drilled and/or slotted ...

Crossdrilled rotors are a dangerous SCAM
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...43203-crossdrilled-rotors-dangerous-scam.html

I've tried them, failed in short order several times.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Glad I came across this thread, as I know I'm going to be replacing my rear brakes at some point, and I wanted to upgrade them at all four corners. Was thinking drilled / slotted rotors as 'necessary'; I'll be rethinking that now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know a lot rave about the Adaptive One pads and rotors from Napa. On my next brake job, it will probably be those or ACDelco. I even use ACDelco on my Hondas.

Reactions: Tiggerr
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Since I bought the truck in July of 2015, I honestly think that the Wearever Gold from Advance are really decent for daily driven vehicles, they stop well and the life is decent.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online