anyone try to get the fuel pump through the floor pan ?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
my pump on my 05 ext is starting to whine with the warmer temps , im not thrilled about dropping the tank at all, honestly 2nd guessing this purchase no that I see how gm designed so many things like no acc wire , the bcm , grounds , etc..

anyway , its hard to see exactly where the pump sits , has anyone tried cutting the floor pan ? being the seat folds up to get tho the fuse block it would be easy to access I think.

or by some dumb luck if anyone is doing their pump now or soon can you measure where it sits from the front of the tank? I can figure the rest from there.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What's wrong with the BCM and grounds?

I would not recommend cutting the floorpan as you'd have a hole in your carpet, would have to be very sure you got the hole fully sealed not only against vapors but also rust, and when cutting it you don't cut the fuel lines or anything else.

Honestly, if your pump is going bad but it is still working, I'd just run the tank down as empty as reasonably possible, and drop the tank. The tank empty is still big and awkward, but won't be too heavy. Use a floor jack with a board to help support it and lower it. I'm pretty sure you don't have to drop your axle or driveshaft.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
no , don't have to drop anything but the straps , but the fuel line disconnects will be a pain. don't care about the carpet , and a sharp blade and some well placed Velcro from the bottom works wonders. once the pan is peeled back I could prime the edges and seal back up with something im sure, steel weld , but that would be more permanent then id like if the thing craps out.

the placement of fuel lines is the big issue with the cut.... how high and close are they to the floor pan...

2 reasons I want to avoid dropping is I work by myself in the driveway and not sure in ramps will provide clearance & working on fuel on my back doesn't excite me

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
no , don't have to drop anything but the straps , but the fuel line disconnects will be a pain. don't care about the carpet , and a sharp blade and some well placed Velcro from the bottom works wonders. once the pan is peeled back I could prime the edges and seal back up with something im sure, steel weld , but that would be more permanent then id like if the thing craps out.

the placement of fuel lines is the big issue with the cut.... how high and close are they to the floor pan...

2 reasons I want to avoid dropping is I work by myself in the driveway and not sure in ramps will provide clearance & working on fuel on my back doesn't excite me

I'll happily give you a hand with taking down the tank. We can even roll it into my brothers shop onto his lift. It's in Staten island though. This weekend isn't good for me. I'll be out by @littleblazer and @brianlibby791 neck of the woods in Jersey.

Reactions: brianlibby791

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I've benched that tank out of that truck with a quarter tank three times now. It really isn't that bad. Iirc you'd have to cut one of the drivers seat floor mounts out.

Reactions: xavierny25

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Some pull-a-part or junkyard owners would probably be annoyed to be honest. And what're you gonna cut through the floor with in the middle of a yard?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Some pull-a-part or junkyard owners would probably be annoyed to be honest. And what're you gonna cut through the floor with in the middle of a yard?
I've got one of those portable generators and a grinder.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As Food For Thought on why this is a Very Bad Idea... Please consider that sometimes... in our collective desire to work on solving a mechanical problem... we can get sideways from what has been succinctly explained in Post #5:

"It Can't Be Done..."

The best (worst) example I can think of as to of how badly wrong such a close focus on solving a very small problem can get ...is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_401

I would add to what @Mooseman clearly explained above by suggesting this:

"It Should NOT Be Done..."

Please consider these as more reasons NOT to attempt this project:

(1) Gasoline vaporizes in ambient air and partially decays into CO (Carbon Monoxide) as well as other flammable VOCs.

(2) If the cut-out replacement fails to remain air-tight and the fumes from the Gas Tank and Lines enter the Rear Cabin... The occupants could become asphyxiated... and a Lone Driver could easily fall asleep at speed ...without even realizing that he/she is being affected by these incoming toxic vapors.

(3) If the Famously Sketchy BCM Unit under the Left Rear Passenger Seat subsequently short circuits in the presence of in-coming Gasoline Fumes adjacent a Failed Patch Panel... they could ignite and burn inside of the rear cabin. Would you be able to extricate a Toddler strapped backwards into a secured car seat with a fire burning underneath the rear seat in time to save the child? We really have to consider such things before taking such an ill-conceived and errant repair venture ... merely for the sake of convenience.

A Man I greatly admire once said...

"There is NO RIGHT WAY to do a WRONG THING..."

Last edited:

I_Shoot_Back

Feb 18, 2018
Ponoka
As above but very short and to the point:
Just drop the tank from underneath,the discussion has been 20x the time it takes to drop the bloody thing :smile:

Pickup truck you can lift the box,saving major time. Suv's etc. not so much.
If you needed to be at the fuel pump every 6 months I'd be all over making a door in floor but it's for most a one time event. Not hard to drop the tank,pain is over within 2 hours.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Most PnP yards don't allow grinders. I know mine don't. Waste of time IMHO.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
I'll happily give you a hand with taking down the tank. We can even roll it into my brothers shop onto his lift. It's in Staten island though. This weekend isn't good for me. I'll be out by @littleblazer and @brianlibby791 neck of the woods in Jersey.

thanks for the offer , I wish I would have seen it the replay emails went to spam. it wasn't a horrible job , just not pleasant with the rust dropping on my face. figures as after I did this a few days later the a/c stopped working. I wonder if I hit a corroded line or something. im gonna get a sniffer to find the leak on do the rear block off if that's where it is.

thanks to all that replied , and as far as a pick and pull id love to have one around , but sadly the closest is in PA somewhere that I know of.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online