Anyone running Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics?

Falcon LS

Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Having spent a significant amount of time in the UK, Goodyear, Dunlop and Fulda tend to be the favorable top three when it comes to tires. Pirelli has been my "go-to" for quite some time, although they don't tend to last very long - about 2 years in the UK from experience. But both wet and dry traction have always been perfect and I see no problems with that trade off.

Then again, tires do seem to be a regional thing. I've owned four different Ford Panther platform vehicles (1 Crown Vic and 3 Grand Marquis') in Kuwait with one in the UK, and the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons was Ford's choice of tire on '03 and newer export vehicles. Previous years came with Michelin Energy MXV4's, and they were far superior performance and longevity wise compared to the Pirellis.

I had no problems with the Pirelli P6 in the UK, but had a lot of traction issues with them over here. I had a replacement set of Goodyear Assurance ArmorGrips (not sold back in the States) on my Grand Marquis, and I've had to lower tire pressures to prevent ABS from kicking in every time I braked under sandy road conditions. Switching to Pirelli P4 Four Seasons was a world of a difference, and asking around taxi circles back in the States, the Yokohama Avid TRZ was an even better choice. Pricier than both the Michelin MXV4 Plus and Pirelli P4 Four Seasons, but a well proven tire that was worth every penny.With the switch to 18" wheels, I'm now running a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-S in size 245/45R18 they have been nothing short of brilliant.

Over to the Envoy, being a Mid-East export, she came with the QRT RPO package, which meant she got 255/60R17 tires instead of 245/65R17. The OEM tires were Dunlop SP Sport 5000 106H - I still have the original spare, never used. When I bought the truck, it had a set of Wild Spirit Radial SUV tires to replace the factory Dunlops, and quite frankly, this was a brand I had never heard of. They were also 245/65R17 instead of 255/60R17, which is also what's on the door sticker. They were replaced with Pirelli Scorpion Verde's ( 255/60R17 106V) when I got the truck in February '13.

Being quite a spirited driver, the Pirellis have been great performance wise. The set I have is made in the UK, but regardless of country of origin, they all have one problem in the Middle East - dry rot. To give you a brief idea, here is a Pirelli Scorpion STR (265/70R17 112H) that was in service for 3 years and ~33,125 miles on the family hauler:

mw6zaa.jpg

I've had 3 different sets of Scorpion STRs on that truck - two sets of four made in Brazil and one set made in Romania. I've never had any complaints about any of the Pirelli's I've had performance wise, but dry rot seems to be an issue with them in this part of the world.

My tires are rotated every 3,000 miles (back to front one interval and cross the next) and I avoid directional thread patterns for that very reason. Heat being a major concern here, I also keep tires no longer than 3 years and only buy tires manufactured in the same year (i.e. I won't buy tires manufactured in 2014 in 2015).

As I'm looking to replace the Scorpion Verdes, I've been looking at what's available. So far, three tires have sparked my interest. Bridgestone has their Dueler H/P Sport, which TireRack appears to rate higher than the Yokohama ADVAN ST and the Pirelli Scoprion Zero. Then there's the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, and Goodyear has their Eagle F1 Asymmetric tires.

I was wondering if anybody happened to be running the Goodyears, and what their experiences have been with the different tires they've had on their GMT360s.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online