Anyone running 265/70R16 (~30.6")?

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
(Not a "will it fit?" thread).
Background: I'm running MarkMC's 2" lift and on the verge of buying wheel spacers. The TrailBlazer is getting promoted off of primary daily driver duty and my 245/70R16s (~29.5") need replaced (within a month most likely). Asking on GMTNation instead of OffroadTB for a reason; I like hitting some light trails and mud puddles on the weekends, but my TB is still an asphalt/gravel queen for now.

Stock tires look like goofy recessed little doughnuts and I want to fill the wheel wells better. There's a ton of pics out there of 265/75R16 (~31.6"), but they're too big for what I do IMO. I want a happy medium size and can't find any real good reference pics.
Request: Any pics of people running ~30.6" tires, bonus points for those with a lift and spacers?

See:

245/70R16
Snapchat-1476496876.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Why not go with 17's? I'm sure you could find a set of wheels pretty cheap as these trucks are getting plentiful in yards. And you could upgrade to the bigger brakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
265/70/R17
Mark's 2" front lift only
Mark's 1.5" wheel spacers :coffee:

Lines up nicely with the body IMO :cool:

The spacers were a must, I got these tires first, and could definitely feel them rubbing on the steering knuckle. Cut a nice lil groove in them on the short drive home, spacers were ordered later that day. I ground down the knuckle a touch for clearance as a stop gap.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm running 265/60/17 (30.6") with just Mark's 2" lift.

Reactions: gpking

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I've heard that it really depends on the brand of it clears without spacers. Too close for me to try without imo.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've heard that it really depends on the brand of it clears without spacers. Too close for me to try without imo.

Yeah, I heard that too. When I got mine, I was originally going to stick with 265/65s like I had before. I could wedge a finger tip between the tire and steering knuckle with those. The website of the tire shop I went to said they had some in stock, but they didn't. They offered me the larger ones at the same price, for the inconvenience, so I took the gamble. The taller size also made me bottom out over the speed bumps in my neighborhood, so the lift was needed too. One of those mods I always wanted to do, but didn't really NEED to do it :raspberry:

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Why not go with 17's? I'm sure you could find a set of wheels pretty cheap as these trucks are getting plentiful in yards. And you could upgrade to the bigger brakes.
I've thought about a second set of rims (5 is only about $200), but my goal is to just go with a slightly more aggressive tire that is still good on the road such as BFG KO2s so there's really no need to ever swap wheels based on where I'm driving. Plus the 16" rims will give me more rubber with my goal of ~30.5" tires. See more explanation below.

265/70/R17
Mark's 2" front lift only
Mark's 1.5" wheel spacers :coffee:
Like I may have said, I really like the look of the ~31.5" tires, but I'm already working with the 3.42 gear ratio. I want to go bigger just to shake the little doughnut look, but not 2" bigger.

I love how the wheels look with spacers. Makes it look a lot less like you're riding on stilts ready to rollover at any moment... That's why I want a set!

I'm running 265/60/17 (30.6") with just Mark's 2" lift.
Any pics, especially from the side? @djthumper is the only other member I've found advertised as ever running this exact size, but I can only find good isometric views of his.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Well you already know that I run them. I got the rims on a hell of a deal and they gave me about 3/8" space between the tire and the knuckle.

rag3

May 10, 2019
Northern NJ
I am doing a 2" front 1.5" rear strut (EZ) lift and getting 1.25 wheel spacers (2004 LS). I want to run 267/75R16 on stock rims. I do NOT want to trim anything. Above it says there are tons of pics of this set up, so I assume it will work? where are these pics? I'm new and am very curious about clearance and how far past the wheel well these may stick out. I'd rather they be even and not beyond the wheel well. Anyone know, or better yet, have pics?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am doing a 2" front 1.5" rear strut (EZ) lift and getting 1.25 wheel spacers (2004 LS). I want to run 267/75R16 on stock rims. I do NOT want to trim anything. Above it says there are tons of pics of this set up, so I assume it will work? where are these pics? I'm new and am very curious about clearance and how far past the wheel well these may stick out. I'd rather they be even and not beyond the wheel well. Anyone know, or better yet, have pics?

Is the EZ kit the outside strut death lift type? I thought EZ was the ebay one of them.

You do realize that you will need to grind the stock studs to use the 1.25 spacers, correct?

Pics are a simple search away. here or on offroadtb.com

They wont really stick out, but I dont think you can have no rub without trimming with 265/75/16. Prolly should do some searching and see what they cut to fit. I know offroadtb has a chart of what fits and what hits for combining lifts and tire sizes

rag3

May 10, 2019
Northern NJ
OK, good info. Does "outside the strut, death lift" mean the kind that sits on top and compress the spring (2" steel with 3 studs to bolt up to the bracket?) Now I am worried. I am aware that the studs need grinding at 1.25, but I like the profile and think if cuts and torque are correct, it should be fine for a mall crawler.

Fronts look like these,

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is the DEATH LIFT . Do NOT use that trash please!

I would not be afraid of 1 or 1.25 spacers at all, just know you will need to grind a touch.

Reactions: gpking

rag3

May 10, 2019
Northern NJ
OK, that isn't the exact lift, but similar design. I just snagged that pic from google images to give the idea. Is there an acceptable suspension lift? I'd rather not mess with a body lift. GM Offroad claims 265/75R16 fit with a 2" lift and no trimming...but now I am wondering (last line in pic below).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Look at Supreme Suspension or the adjustable Bilstein 5100 struts for lift.

I trimmed with 265/70/17 and a 2.5 inch lift, but I also used mine offroad. May be ok for your use without trimming. I also never used stock wheels, so that prolly created some of clearance issues.

rag3

May 10, 2019
Northern NJ
Awesome, now I just have to figure out what a safe lift would be. I have 200, 000 miles and running strong with minimal (zero visible) rust and I want to do something to this truck before it sails to the boneyard having spent it's whole life stock. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Matt and HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Reactions: Matt and Blckshdw

rag3

May 10, 2019
Northern NJ
Not sure I understand the physics behind this making it a better option, but OK, I'll go this way instead. Last question: Do you recommend flipping the control arms when doing this? I had seen it suggested once or twice. I have been following forms for a while, so I know just enough to be stupid and dangerous. I appreciate your time man, Thanks

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The physics is you cant extend the overall strut length safely. You force the ball joint to be the downward travel stop and and that can cause failure. Also it has been shown to destroy the splined disco that costs more than a lift by about double. Also will cause the CV to bind at droop.

You should flip/swap control arms with any lift.

Reactions: Matt and Blckshdw

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011

rag3

May 10, 2019
Northern NJ
Yes, this is what I was hoping to see! I have a 2.5" front/ 1.5" rear lift I am getting ready to install. I am nearing the end of some Kumho Road-Venture 245/75/16's. I was hoping to do it all at and only need one alignment. It looks more "truck" like without being over the top (I ride highway, and dirt roads/fields)...no serious off-roading. I just need a little "extra". That ball joint clearance though! I know you never had an issue, but that looks close. I may end up doing spacers out of fear haha. I absolutely appreciate the pics and I'll let you know how mine goes. Thanks again.

Techguy77

Nov 6, 2018
Nebraska
In case you're still looking for pics, I also run 265/70R16's. Mine are the Big Foot series from Big-O tires. I'm on my third set now, never had any trouble with the tire rubbing the ball joint. I do not use any kind of spacers, but I do have the 1.5" lift that sits above the shock tower on the front.

So does one need the 1.5" front lift to put the 265/70/R16 on first or can that wait? On my 3rd TB and have never put larger than OEM size on any of them. Looking go get bigger tires to fill the wheel wells up but not do a crazy lift etc. Going to get a set of Goodyear Duratrac tires in the next few months. I have the same rims you do but I've drug them with each TB I have owned due to having newer tires that what I bought. they have some wear , not sure if I'll keep them or go get OEM 17" from the local U Pull It yard for $75.

rag3

May 10, 2019
Northern NJ
Hi, I'm new here too, so don't take my word for absolute truth...but I posted a copy of a chart above in this same thread. It is a "will it fit" chart. It shows that a lift is not needed, but spacers "MAY" be needed. Suspensions wear and sag differently, so they might fit, they might not...but a lift will not help. it is the proximity to the ball joint that is a factor (spacers, not a lift will be needed, if anything). Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
A lift is not necessary for 30.5" tires. You may need a spacer depending on the design of the tire. I started out with stock 16" wheels and had a little space.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.