Anyone here work for GM or know someone who does?

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
I hate to start another topic, but I feel it needs a new title. Ok so I have an '03 Trailblazer which turns out to be an export model, the vehicle is left-hand drive and and has a 17 digit vin. To my understanding all of the Trailblazers were made in the same factory? I wanted to get documentation from GM stating that the vehicle meets EPA and NHTSA standards so that I can be shipped back into the U.S. GM customer care refuses to help me, they won't even tell me if the vehicle does or does not meet the standards. I'm also quite sure they are pulling my IP address because they keep telling me to contact a dealer in my country without me even telling my location. I would assume this truck which is made in the same factory with every other TB would meet EPA and NHTSA standards regardless of it was exported. Unless I'm mistaken but aren't all of the bodies and engines the same? I asked for a MCO/MSO and say it's not available to customers. Does anyone here work for GM who could possibly help? Or know anyone personally who does? At this point I will lose alot of money on this truck and fact that GM won't help I will never buy anything GM again. All I would simply need is for GM to say in a letter that the truck was built in the U.S. and meets EPA and NHTSA standards but they won't even look to find out. I was even wondering if a regular dealer could look into it and verify and then type a letter. It just needs a GM letterhead.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
If you have one of these on your truck, that might be all you need. I haven't imported any cars since the 80's. I would assume a lot of things have changed since then. Good luck. ~BOB

Attachments

• 7-25-15c 001.JPG
    7-25-15c 001.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 29

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
I just looked and I have that sticker, only difference is that text above the vin is just a bunch of "x's" instead. I also have the sticker showing it was made at the Moraine, OH plant.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When we import a vehicle into Canada, we have to provide a letter from the manufacturer that there are no outstanding recalls. Would that work? I would think that they have to provide that. Maybe a dealer in Japan could even do that

Probably easier to buy a used airbox that has the EPA sticker on it but it would have to be from the same year because there is usually the model year printed on it. There isn't a VIN on that one.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't have the sticker on mine, peeled off a long time ago. I sure would that either of those barcodes are not the VIN.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you are military TMO should be able to assist you.

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Kyle said:
Thanks, I got it bookmarked now. Might have to go this route.

Mooseman said:
When we import a vehicle into Canada, we have to provide a letter from the manufacturer that there are no outstanding recalls. Would that work? I would think that they have to provide that. Maybe a dealer in Japan could even do that

Probably easier to buy a used airbox that has the EPA sticker on it but it would have to be from the same year because there is usually the model year printed on it. There isn't a VIN on that one.
Something like this may work if it says the vehicle origin as the U.S. do you know what the letter is called by chance? I'm in a very remote part of Japan, no Chevy dealers here, I tried emailing Chevy of Japan but no reply of course.

djthumper said:
If you are military TMO should be able to assist you.
Other than the 25 year rule for non USDM vehicles, TMO here doesn't have any info.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nix my idea. What I said was for US vehicles imported into Canada. Found this at Transport Canada's website:

Note: You cannot import a vehicle manufactured in North America that was certified for export to a foreign market because it fails to comply with the MVSA which requires a vehicle to comply with all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards at the time of main assembly.

Furthermore, there are no provisions in the MVSA that allow you to modify a vehicle sold in a country other than the United States to meet Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Probably the reason why they also make it so hard to import one back into North America. It's actually tougher, if not impossible, for us.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
why would you think that a vehicle made for export would meet us regulations, instead of those in place for the intended market?

My advice would be to sell the car where it is, and buy a US spec car or truck.

Reactions: stickypoop

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
I didn't know it was an export model when I bought it. Had this truck been RHD and had the proper vin for this country I would not have bought it. I was even able to pull a carfax on it. The vehicles here are right hand drive and have have 10 digit vins. Usually the export models for this country are right hand drive. Every other Chevy, Ford, BMW, Jeep export model is right hand drive. The TB is the only vehicle where Chevy kept it left hand drive but exported here, so it is possible for it to meet U.S. standards. It looks identical to the U.S. model. The only thing they care about is the engine which uses the same 4.2 and the U.S. model and the crash test data which is probably the same since the body is still left hand drive like the U.S. model. I will have to try but selling isn't as easy you would think. Also Japan's emissions are more strict than the U.S. so I'm pretty sure if the engine meets Japan's standards then it meets EPA. The fact that GM won't say if it does or does not is what's really irritating, they built the truck, it's not like I'm asking for engineering secrets. The way I see it is just because it may meet japan's standards doesn't mean it can't meet U.S. standards as well. Also I have a friend who owns a dealer here and he says it was truly made for Japan then it would be RHD.

Kyle

Jun 9, 2015
Shoot me the VIN in PM as well.. I have a buddy at John Elway Chevy here.. We'll see what he comes up with.. (and yes.. Japan has way stricter standards)

Reactions: Blckshdw

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
What does it cost to ship something like this?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
K-dre, my buddy is looking into it. He is not sure what he can do, but he was willing to check. As soon as I hear anything, I'll let you know.

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
Hate to say it , but. vehicles manufactured in the US for export may not meet US federal standards. Things like emissions equipment, (engine tune/ readiness indications/ DTC monitoring) , lighting/turn/brake signals, safety (air bags/belts/etc), doors and window standards, etc. For that reason they do not have the federal approved label and can not be imported. You may be pushing a rock uphill to make this happen..

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
K-dre, I just sent a PM with some info from my friend.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hopefully he checks in sometime. He hasn't logged on since Aug. 19 and our email system is still down.

Edit: Because I think this is time sensitive, I sent him an email about this reply.

Reactions: Capote and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online