Anyone here using cheap ebay brakes

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Anyone here using cheap ebay brakes

Just had new tires installed asked the Man at Costco to inspect the brakes his result was fronts are worn down to 30% rear are around 50% left, I’ll reinspect later.
Hers what I am concidering confussed why they sell 2 rotors yet only one set of pads? thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352217527791?ViewItem=&item=352217527791

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
2 rotors and 1 set of pads = 1 set of brakes for the front end.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know these brakes. STAY AWAY FROM THESE and any other Cheap Chinese Crap. I have tried these as they are local to me. They warp badly and wear quickly. Not worth your time or money. Spend some money on good brakes. ACDelco on RockAuto is actually pretty reasonable. It's for your safety.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
didn't see AC delco at the rock did see the power stop are these also chinese?
Thanks

Attachments

• brakes.png
    brakes.png
    994.3 KB · Views: 8

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
PowerStop is a known brand to others here and from what I hear is they are good. All brakes and brands are made in China. It's the cheap crap you have to stay away from.

You would have to look up the individual brake rotors and pads. They only sell pads and rotor kits from PowerStop. Compare with buying 2 rotors and 1 set of pads with the price of the kit. Price might be close to ACDelco Advantage. Raybestos Professional rotors are at a good price with a set of ACDelco pads would be a good combination. You don't have to use the same brand pads and rotors.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Only reason I got a set of cheapies myself was because at the time I couldn't afford to get the set of name brand slotted-only rotors and name brand ceramic pads I wanted to purchase. I got these from Ebay in April of last year and I've had no problems at all with warping or premature wear. The slots are nice and pronounced still. Even the generic brand Ceramic brake pads they came with are performing good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Kit-B...der-Bravada-/391705093335?hash=item5b337164d7
powersport-package-s-v5v-pads-black.jpg

Last edited:

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I have bought brakes from these people on a groupe purchase plan for forum members at LS1tech years ago

for smooth power slot rotors and dust free ceramic pads

ebay says these won't fit the 07 97x however they don't have a way to enter AWD w/ it's extra wheel stud.
Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401478877628?ViewItem=&item=401478877628

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They will fit. Look for 07 TB with the 5.3L. They are the same. 2WD, 4x4 or AWD, all the same. Although I'm not entirely certain, the SS and Aero brakes are different. Even on RockAuto, they list them separately.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
yes I think they will fit since they have the 6th stud, waiting to confirm this from brake motive.

there cheap yes are the cheapest crape out there will yet to be determined.
been working on spellcheck

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
PLEASE don't use metallic pads!. OEM is ceramic, and they are the only pads that should be installed.

I never cheap out on brakes (I use only the top of the line rotors and pads from NAPA) but I understand that sometimes people need the cheapest ones they can find to get them through a year or two. Follow the advice of others in this forum, and avoid those cheap brakes. Spend a little more on some of the less expensive packages with ceramic pads and better rotors.

Also keep in mind that slotted rotors will tear up your pads and if you drive in snow belt areas, the slots will cause rust to get underneath the surface and start to delaminate the steel. This will REALLY tear up your pads once they start rusting.

Slotted and drilled rotors are ONLY for the look (if you like that look) as they contribute nothing to performance. New slotted or new slotted and drilled rotors are better than worn used ones, but there is no advantage to them aside from the look. Technically, they actually reduce the ability to absorb heat and are actually perform LESS efficiently than good solid rotors, but in actual practice, the reduction in performance is minimal unless you do a lot of mountain driving.

If there are three things I am most anal about in driving, it is handling, brakes and tires. This is why I use only good shocks, top of the line brakes and the best tires ever made for our platform. (I also test police cars on race tracks for what my wife laughingly refers to as a "living.")

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Here is some good info from a mechanics website:

Contact area
Blank rotors have a larger area in contact with the pads than slotted or drilled rotors. Therefore they provide better braking at the same temperature.
Cooling
To cool the rotor, manufacturers use a vented rotor, not a cross-drilled or slotted rotor.
cross-drilling puts holes perpendicular to the flow of air - they have no cooling effect whilst the wheel is turning.
A cross-drilled or slotted rotor has less thermal mass and thus heats up faster and fades faster.
Dust removal
So far as I know, with modern rotor and pad materials, dust removal is not a significant factor affecting brake performance.
Gas Removal
I can find no scientific evidence that the resin in overheated pads outgasses faster than gas is removed by rotation. (e.g. see cross-drilled rotors myth)
What is used by people for whom performance is more important than looks?
No aircraft uses slotted or drilled rotors. They need to stop 100 tons of fully loaded aircraft from below V1 speed within the length of the runway.
No Formula One race car uses drilled or slotted rotors.
No NASCAR racer uses drilled or slotted rotors.

So, if gas removal has not been necessary for 50 years, drilled holes and slots do NOT make the brakes run cooler and dust removal does not make the slightest difference in brake performance ... why do you see drilled and slotted rotors on high-end performance cars? Looks.

All that being said, better quality rotors are better than cheap rotors, and new rotors are better than worn rotors. But I agree with forum members who suggest mixing and matching good solid rotors with good pads. They don't all have to come in a package.

If you ever want the ultimate in pads (and the ones we use on police cars) look for pads with the NRS backing plates.

itsatruck

Oct 12, 2017
Warren, Pennsylvania
FYI, Do not buy AC Delco advantage. They don't even fit, I had to take the ears to a grinder.

Also, thicker rotors will handle heat better than thin drilled and slotted rotors. Ricer brakes are meh, IMO. If you have ever seen Engineering Explained on YouTube, he did a test where he bought a fancy brake package for his Miata. It was comical seeing how confused he was when his stopping distance was worse than stock.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
For cheap good brakes, Brakemotive is good in my experience. Used them for years. Yes, they're "blingy" drilled and slotted, but they do it right apparently because they don't crack or do other ugly stuff. And they're thick, heavy rotors too, not those paper thin things.

The ceramic pads they have are also pretty decent as well.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
yeah this brake motive was a quickie search I still have some brake pad left.

I like to have parts on the shelf.

Thanks hawk for the heads up on the ceramic pads and yes I do prefer smooth. itsatruck yes I tend to pass on AC delco parts (price) unless it's a distributor cap for my express van what is meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsatruck

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online