Anyone else really love this platform

twoplustwo

Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
toronto
In the span of 2 years, My sons and I own 3 of them. A 2006 envoy ( 187 km ) , a 2007 trailblazer ( 140 km ) and a 2008 envoy ( 140 km ).
Since I am the major "fixer" in the family, I had a decision on what to buy. They are fairly easy to work on, insurance is is cheap as are the parts, and with a solid frame - they should last years ( except maybe for the doors and hatch ) .
The 2008 Envoy I just picked up is in great shape, but it was a heavy smokers car. This is been a major issue to get rid of 12 years of smoke.!!
I am finding the engine is very smooth and they have all been great vehicles.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Insurance is cheap, I will give you that. Parts are hit or miss. It depends on what your replacing. Ease of repairs depends on which engine you have, and what you are working on. The I6 is easier to repair on somethings (motor mounts). The V8 is easier to repair on other things (intake gaskets). I really love how versatile my Envoy is. Parts availability seems to be dwindling down some on the used markets. Still dont see them very often in the yards. And when you do, they are usually left untouched. Great for me, but the junk yards also seem to turn them a bit quicker.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I have a hidden occasional gold mine not far from me in the form of a "scrap yard". They literally do just scrap and are not a wrecking yard in any way. They do, however, take cars for scrap. When I do my scrap runs I always walk the back half of the yard where they keep their vehicles until they're picked up. I've gotten some hard to find pieces there and paid as close to nothing as is mathematically possible. It's great for interior parts as the yard is only worried about scrap value. The more plastic something has, the less they care.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
@twoplustwo Yes, I do really like these platforms, the small issues don't remotely outweigh the good points.

As far as your 08 smoker, or any of them, if you want to keep them for a long time I would strongly urge you to source the factory carpet while still available, if still available. I waited about 6 months too long and lost out on mine. I'm sure there might be reproductions avail but won't likely be a factory fit.

Also pick up some door seals if you can, including window mouldings, seals for the openings at the base of the window opening.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
On our Semi-Truck fleet, for smokers, we use a combination of different products. End result is no smell, just the smokers stain.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Started with the '02 EXT, then bought the 9-7x, dragged a parts 9-7x on a 5 hour drive home, and when the '02 died and I parted it out to keep spare parts, bought the '07 LS. Yeah, I like this platform. :biggrin:

And I even started on this platform when the 02 needed an engine swap right off the bat due to a spun bearing and it clearly was poorly maintained. Basically a baptism by fire. Once it was all fixed up, I kept reading the forums (TV at first and soon after, here). Gained more knowledge and experience that I'm very comfortable on this platform. Maybe too comfortable as my wife is now bugging me to switch to a full size pickup.

Reactions: xavierny25

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
For the smoke smell, rent (or buy) a small ozone generator. Turn it on and leave it in there for a few days. When done, air it out for an hour or so.

twoplustwo

Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
toronto
I hear ya Mooseman,
I myself drive a 2018 Chevy 1500. Its a great truck, - although some may consider it too big.
On occasion I do enjoy driving the Trailblazer/Envoy - and mileage is similar to my fullsize.
And with a full boxed in frame of the TB/Envoys, it can tow most lighter campers...
Great vehicle overall...

Reactions: Mooseman

rolo95

Jan 2, 2019
USA
@twoplustwo

Also pick up some door seals if you can, including window mouldings, seals for the openings at the base of the window opening.
where do you get that nouldings ?, i need some of that, mine has one broken, also i need to replace the ones that "clean" the glass window, right now the glass is heavily scratched, i plan to put some tint on the front windows but because of the scratched look, i will wait till i polish the glass.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
where do you get that nouldings ?, i need some of that, mine has one broken, also i need to replace the ones that "clean" the glass window, right now the glass is heavily scratched, i plan to put some tint on the front windows but because of the scratched look, i will wait till i polish the glass.

Start with the dealer. If they don't have them, see if they can do a search. Those items go NLA and are very hard to replicate, if even possible.

Whatever they are listed at, I would get them, if possible....usually around $100-150 per seal.

Dadwagon

May 21, 2020
West coast
Should the dealer run out of that specific size, a generic door/glass moulding kit should work. I did this on Saturn S last year, and it insulated from highway sounds just fine, but never got a chance to try it in the rain.
BTW the back door moulding is a very long and uncut piece...I'd imagine those are expensive OEM.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online