Anyone build a short block? Got a quick question...

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
When I was building the short block on the 383 one of the ring lands had a nick in it. Basically the lower compression ring would stick on this. So I took some sand paper to the landing until it moved freely. I have been thinking about this since I put it together and am starting to wonder if what I did was kosher... I don't need a stuck ring a few hours after building the thing.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Did you have them do the honing? You should run a hone through to ensure everything is smooth for the new rings.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Did you have them do the honing? You should run a hone through to ensure everything is smooth for the new rings.
My bad, the block is honed and bored over, the nick is on the piston side, I found it after I installed the new ring in the groove. I sanded the nick in the groove until the ring moved freely. It was good by the time I dropped it in the bore I think.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You should be fine. Do you have a micrometer to enure it matches the rest?

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I'd need an inside mic to get the groove on the piston. That I do not have. I did try a different ring though and it was also free...

I think I am over thinking it.

Reactions: djthumper

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
You should be fine, I worked in a shop during HS and we routinely massaged ring grooves with nary a problem, if you ever do this again, break one of the old rings and the sharp broken edge makes a great groove scraper.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online