Anybody use HPT to increase factory rad fan aggressivness ?

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Title about says it all.

In near 100º ambient temps, in stop & go traffic the engine runs around 212º & higher. New rad and factory electro fan. Once I'm moving steady no problem, the temps drops quickly, so airflow is the issue.

In HPT > System/Fans I see the Fan1 is set to 284ºF. Fan2 is the same.
I see no other controls. Will dropping Fan1 to say, 200ºF increase the aggressiveness of the fan operation at lower temps?

Thanks

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Title about says it all.

In near 100º ambient temps, in stop & go traffic the engine runs around 212º & higher. New rad and factory electro fan. Once I'm moving steady no problem, the temps drops quickly, so airflow is the issue.

In HPT > System/Fans I see the Fan1 is set to 284ºF. Fan2 is the same.
I see no other controls. Will dropping Fan1 to say, 200ºF increase the aggressiveness of the fan operation at lower temps?

Thanks
I think that's for the e fan programming not the electronic clutch fan but I could be mistaken.

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Well I would think that 284ºF would be a little bit too hot for any fan to come on.
The Fan type settings are none, EV, aux & 2 fans. It is set to EV

I've seen some posts on PCMs that have a %/temp setting, something I believe for the duty cycle lower at lower temps and higher at higher temps.

No such option on my PCM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
At 284 you wouldn't have an engine left though. You could try it and report the results back. I know it's a % of max temperature but that's way high.

Reactions: Capote

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
This, below, is the menu I was looking for, but I guess it is not available on my PCM

Fan Desired %

• Desired % vs. ECT: The desired percent that fans should operate in regards to coolant temperature.
  • Desired % vs. AC Pressure: The desired percent that fans should operate in regards to AC pressure.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Thanks Mooseman, but I don't have that table.

This is all I got.
envoy-fans.jpg
The AC tab only has an RPM disable/enable for the compressor.
Nothing that I can find anywhere.

May not be available for my vehicle.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although I have absolutely no clue about HPTuners, it must be in there somewhere as that table has a file name ending in .hpt. Maybe a file downloadable from somewhere?

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
I think different years, models, PCMs may or may not have some tables that can be tuned. I've looked through several other .hpt files on their forum and many later years have that table but many, like mine don't.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And also the V8 have a totally different PCM. That table must have come from the I6, probably early years.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.