any torque wrench experts out there?

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I replaced the brackets for the lower control arms on my trailblazer. the torque on the bracket to chassis bolts is crazy high , I think 177 & 190 lbsft (don't have the numbers in front of me right now.) At the time I did the job, I only had a wrench that would go 150, so I got em that tight and have been watching them but nothings loosening. But now, I got myself a wrench that will up to 200 ftlbs so I can get the bolts right. so now the question...do I need to loosen the bolts, and start from scratch, or can I just set the wrench for the specd torque and bring the bolts up to tension from where they are now?

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
To do it right and just for the fact that rust may have built up between the bolt and bracket and possibly give an inaccurate reading; Loosen and re-tighten to spec.

Me? ...I'd just put the new wrench on and torque to OEM spec's (without loosening). Depending on the thread pitch, I'd suspect it was only another 1/8 of a turn more than 150lbs to get it to "redneck-correct."

Reactions: Wooluf1952

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I agree with Hockeyman's first instruction. Because you could easily exceed the desired ft. lbs. just to get them to move again and then you wouldn't know where you were at.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I would just set the wrench to the correct setting and tighten the bolts. I do the same thing when I check/tighten lug nuts after driving 100 miles or so. Think of it as tightening in phases. JMO.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Got it done. I'm a bit of a sis about some things still...snapping bolts off in hard to reach places being one of them, and I was semi-freaking out wondering if the wrench would ever click. new wrench but I kept wondering...maybe its not gonna click before something else snaps. but I got 'em done. I know...stupid but that's just how I'm wired.

Reactions: Redbeard

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Got it done. I'm a bit of a sis about some things still...snapping bolts off in hard to reach places being one of them, and I was semi-freaking out wondering if the wrench would ever click. new wrench but I kept wondering...maybe its not gonna click before something else snaps. but I got 'em done. I know...stupid but that's just how I'm wired.
So which way did you do it?...

Reactions: Redbeard

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Loosened bolts, nursed a beer and chased dogs around the back yard for a while, then retightened. Getting new tires and an alignment this week. Hopefully the ol girl will be good for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: northcreek

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online