Any tool recommendations please?

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hi Guys. So here’s the deal. I bought a new air compressor yesterday used from a guy on letgo He’s a lifelong mechanic who has decided to grow in the towel. He has 2-3 of every tool a mechanic would ever need. He has started to sell everything. I also picked up a MAC tools creeper and an older heavy duty vice. What luck, mine had the center or main shaft crack. Second time I used it. I love that vice. Couldn’t believe what junk it turned out to be. Mfg of it is Grizzly just fit a heads up.

Anyway, he only owns snap on and MAC tools. He’s going to lay it all out today, take pics and let me see what he has. I can cherry pick one before he posts it for the world to see.

I have a running list of things I want but haven’t seen what he has.

My question to all of you master mechanics out there is if you can possibly think of any tools you think I should look for and buy if he does have them?

If there’s anything anyone wants me to look for for them, let me know and I can pick it up for you. Thanks everyone!

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Not a mechanic by any means but, the ole' oxygen acetylene torch has saved me COUNTLESS times! Sometimes the propane torches just are not enough with all the rust.

A mobile tool/parts cart is great to have as well.
See if you can get his snapon/mac impact.
Also, see if he still has his (assumed) snapon autel scanner, or any scanner he has really.
Always try to grab nice drill bits.
Tool cart/box if you don't already have one.

Can you share what you do already have so we can help build that collection a little better?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If he has cordless ratchets and/or impacts, they're better than air. Air impact is good for really tough nuts.

A good meter or even better a power probe. And yes, a good scanner would be a good investment.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Not a mechanic by any means but, the ole' oxygen acetylene torch has saved me COUNTLESS times! Sometimes the propane torches just are not enough with all the rust.

A mobile tool/parts cart is great to have as well.
See if you can get his snapon/mac impact.
Also, see if he still has his (assumed) snapon autel scanner, or any scanner he has really.
Always try to grab nice drill bits.
Tool cart/box if you don't already have one.

Can you share what you do already have so we can help build that collection a little better?
Hey, thanks. All great tips. I’m glad I posted and you chimed in to help.
I had just thought about the torches. I could have used so many times. I almost bought a setup several times this last year. For me and I suspect anyone starting from scratch, the tanks were always the deal breaker for me. I have taken a quick look once in a while for used tanks but the right deal hasn’t popped up yet.
I also was going to ask about a code reader/scanner too thank you.

As far as what I have already, do you mean what I own or what I have on my list to look for from him? What I have at home is a nice big black 5’ high toolbox and my old craftsman one. They are fine for me for now.

Having given it some thought, here’s the things I’m hoping to get.
Anything that SnapOn or MAC have a rep for making the best one of. Like you mentioned AirGuns. He was blithering on and in about four that he wants to sell so I’ll get those or at least some based on your recommendation. Especially now that I have that new to me, 33Gallon Fire breathing, turbo boosted, Nitrous injected monster air compressor. Ok it’s really just a pos with a big tank. Hehe

I am also going to try to focus on anything that might be rare or a rare or a version. I just have zero knowledge when it comes to the history of snapon’s products over the years.

Sometimes companies will start to make a tool differently than they used to to cut costs and the older one was so much superior or maybe they stop selling a tool where the sales had fallen way off, but some people still yearn for them. I’m also going to buy any specialty tools that I’ve had a need for or that I foresee myself needing in the future like umm uh.. Oh like GM fan clutch holder thingy. I just made one out of flat bar, drilled two holes, bolt it into the pulley and it held in place very easily While I cracked my nuts. I know they are four bolts but crackin’ bolts Is not as funny as crackin’ your nuts if you ask me. Or as fun! Ok I’ll stop with the 7th grade jokes.

So you think any snapon air guns are going to be really good depending on the price obviously.

He must want to do some purging because he asked if I wanted I come right over when I indicated an interest yesterday.

Thank You!

Reactions: Pygot

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
@jmonica Yes, a list of the current tools that you have available to you in your garage. There may be tools that we think you would already have, but you do not.

If any of those snapon/mac tools are 50% more than a brand new HF/Tekton/Craftsman, I would save your money and just get a new cheaper version with the same lifetime warranty.

HF and other off-brand tools (ratchets, wrenches, and impacts specifically) have been compared to snapon by AVE (and others) on youtube and show to be as good if not better than snapon. Plus, the other brands are WAY easier to get your replacement tools (unless you're in/near a mechanic's shop).

Do some research on TEKTON tools and compare his prices to the prices of TEKTON tools. They're great tools and most stores like HD carry them. My local grocery store (Meijer) even carries them. I doubt they'd cover the warranty after 30-90 days, but HD is open until 10 pm for replacements.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Something else about SnapOn (and probably Mac etc.). There warranty is only as good as the $$$ you owe the tool man. One cannot just stop by a tool truck and get an exchange on a broken tool. Let me tell how I know. :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: With most of the stuff we work on around here the extra precision a snap on gives doesn't justify the much extra $$$.

Reactions: jmonica and mrrsm

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
If he has cordless ratchets and/or impacts, they're better than air. Air impact is good for really tough nuts.

A good meter or even better a power probe. And yes, a good scanner would be a good investment.
Ok good thanks. He kept mentioning he had four air ratchets and seemed to want to push them but I don't generally use air ratchets as I never had a strong enough compressor.

I think that cordless now is at a point that it's good enough or soon will be to surpass air at least as it relates to the way I use the tools. Some truck and heavy equipment machnies may need air for a while, but for what i do, electric is just more logical. Less hassle, less noise, electric do not require you to consume valuable real estate on the floor of your garage, etc.. The amount of the outlay for hoses and fittings you no longer have to buy, plus the electricity savings, I would think must be close to being equal the cost of a battery or two and the juice to spunk up said batts.

The jump from NiCad to LI-ION years ago was a game changer. I was ignoring his ratchets because i already have my heart set on and mind made up on one of those Milwaukee ratchets. I think its the High Torque 1/2" Fire model. The type that actually slows down he rotation of the earth JUST a little tony bit each time it's used and the water in your toilet starts to spin counterclockwise. I think they have been outlawed in California. If you cruise around LA in the areas where there are a lot of repair shops. Take a seat on a rooftop, and just watch, you will start to see hands and arms popup, holding those red beauties because none of the mechanics and DIY'ers were ever warned about it's 1400ft lbs. of hardcore cranking monster torque.

So I DO have a power probe III believe it or not. I know, I know, I"m impressive. hehe Now you KNOW I must be joking on that one! And no, I do not have the camo one. hehe I do need a new VOM though! nice thanks

Oooh maybe a digital Torque wrench but one that beeps instead of clicks. I got my electric craftsman one but it still just makes the same clicking noise `that the last one did. I do not think this guys going to give anything away for really cheap because he is attached to this stuff I think. Plus I am "number one customer mister" because I do not like to haggle and in fact not sure if I ever have .

I only have one way to get the price lowered and hate to do it because it seems so unfair as it renders people unable to think clearly, they begin to think illogically and insensibly but hey, this is business. If I have to turn on the charm to knock off a few bucks then so be it. Ya know?

Reactions: Mooseman

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Oh, you may want to get his air compressor hose as well. At least for a back up hose or an extension hose.

I bought a 50 ft HF hose and it rolling over it with a car (not that you should) and it caused it to snap the inner hose and a bubble formed. It lasted 2 days.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
@jmonica Yes, a list of the current tools that you have available to you in your garage. There may be tools that we think you would already have, but you do not.

If any of those snapon/mac tools are 50% more than a brand new HF/Tekton/Craftsman, I would save your money and just get a new cheaper version with the same lifetime warranty.

HF and other off-brand tools (ratchets, wrenches, and impacts specifically) have been compared to snapon by AVE (and others) on youtube and show to be as good if not better than snapon. Plus, the other brands are WAY easier to get your replacement tools (unless you're in/near a mechanic's shop).

Do some research on TEKTON tools and compare his prices to the prices of TEKTON tools. They're great tools and most stores like HD carry them. My local grocery store (Meijer) even carries them. I doubt they'd cover the warranty after 30-90 days, but HD is open until 10 pm for replacements.
Ahh ok now I'm rolling with it thank You. I hear you aboit TEKTON and other not so overly hyped brands. I think I mentioned in a post here i have snap flexhea ratchet that I leave in the drawer. I have one that looks just like it. Husky maybe but I love it. Si much better than the new snap on one. Its was a gift from my Sis so i cant just zell it or I would. Im.100% sure my sister would be mad if she knew. She'd want me to sell it and get something i like. Same sister who got me a box set of 24k gold plated sockets from craftsman. I do enjoy opening the box and looking at the gold ones. Hehe ahh shiney things....thanks!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Electric for flexibility, air if you don't need that. I'm usually not working close enough to the garage to be able to use air all the time. That being said, you don't have to worry about a dead battery. It always dies on you in the worst spot on the hardest to reach bolt... Ask me how I know lol. 7 out of 10 times I go for the electric. My air stuff does have a slightly lower profile though when compared to the Milwaukee ratchet.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Oh, you may want to get his air compressor hose as well. At least for a back up hose or an extension hose.

I bought a 50 ft HF hose and it rolling over it with a car (not that you should) and it caused it to snap the inner hose and a bubble formed. It lasted 2 days.
Ok thanks. I tried to snd he said $10. Then I noticed it was PVC. I have so many I didnt need it. I have some kind of infliction with airhoses and fittings. I can't get enough!

He had the compressor listed for $170 came time to pay he said $160. I said it's ok I think the ad said $170. And was adamant it said $160. Ok ok I'm not gonna fight with you over it. I'll bet he was includinb the 10 for the house. So maybe technically he was right. He did say it was 3p gallons though and I know. for a FACT its really 33. Hee that I will.fight him over. Just kidding. Thanks again!

Reactions: Maverick6587

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Good Inquiry. If you opt to buy the man's Gas Welding Rig... unless you are presently completely familiar with and experienced with using this Gear... of all the Oxy-Fuel Cutting and Welding equipment, Oxy-Acetylene comes with the need to Never lay an Acetylene Tank Horizontally or even tipped over on its side as there is always a risk for a Spontaneous Explosion.

Ordinarily, this Volume costs around $140.00 Brand New. However there are Good Used Volumes available for only $23.00 in the Hard Cover - Bound Edition or for $6.00 in the Paper-Back version over on Amazon. "The Welder's Bible" is a great resource to obtain and covers Gas & Electric Welding Techniques and the Necessary Safety Tips for handling and using this equipment. There are also Complete Welder's Training Series all over Youtube as well:

THEWELDERSBIBLE.jpg

Reactions: Maverick6587

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
I would be interested to see his spark plug socket selection, universal, double swivel, extra long straight. Wobble extensions are nice to have. Snap on makes the best screwdrivers I have ever used, they're not a must have, but damn their nice. Blue point also makes pliers that look like this.

I like ratcheting breaker bar adapters, also. Maybe not as common now that longer ratchets are sold everywhere, but I still like them.

Don't be afraid to offer a little less money! And price check as best you can. As previously mentioned, what does a new item cost, what is the same item selling for on eBay. Used tool prices can be tricky.
Edit: one more thing, a thread restoring kit.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And also package deals. If you buy more, get him to lower a bit on each or throw something in for free.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
When you check your inventory of tools, look inside the sockets too. See if they are 6 or 12 point sockets. I always try to get 6 point, but they arent always available.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hey guys? Sorry I dropped off for a little while. So the "tool guy? Hasn't really sent me an overall pic of his tools spread out as he says he would.
I think he has multiple air tools he wants to sell. I saw his yesterday and asked if he was going to send me pics of everything laid out and he asked me what kind of stuff I wanted. I just rattled off a few things I'm interested in like SnapOn wrench sets, socket sets, ratchets and he scoffed as if to say, that he has a lot of those he will sell.

As I mentioned he said he has 3 full sets of stuff. Due to working at a shop for 20+ years, so doing lots of side work plus his home setup. I can say I've put purchased things and he seems to be a straight shooter.

He just sent me pics of two air tools. I am tempted because I think that worst case I could flip these on Ebay and make a few bucks. Any thoughts on pics and price? The 1/4" ratchet was recently rebuilt by Snapon.
Thanks?
He said "$150 for both"
Resized_20200303_102248(1).jpeg

Reactions: Pygot

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would only buy them if you know for a fact you can flip them. Air tools, in my opinion, are no longer an important thing for the market. Battery pack style impact tools, and wrenchs or just so versatile, and priced well, without this big air compressor taking up half your shop.

As I said, just my opinion.

Reactions: Beacon and jmonica

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I would only buy them if you know for a fact you can flip them. Air tools, in my opinion, are no longer an important thing for the market. Battery pack style impact tools, and wrenchs or just so versatile, and priced well, without this big air compressor taking up half your shop.

As I said, just my opinion.
Hey Tollkeeper thanks for the reply.I had made a similar comment not too long ago. Every year we are seeing cordless tools get better and better. Some people that I have heard from are of the opinion that air tools stuff have their place and will remain relevant for a long time to come. Personally I felt like ait tools were quickly becoming obsolete when I see tools like that Milwaukee M18 Fuel kicking out 1400 ft lbs of torque. I've also read a lot of reviews on it though fro shop owners who have sad that for a commercial enterprise, that those cordless impacts and others do ot hold up so each year they were purchasing 2 ro 3 new guns.
SO now I don't know. I wouldn't throw away that 1/4" if I had it, but I don't even like using air tools at home. Not when I can grab a cordless and m not have to listen to the compressor kick on and the tool itself. I guess if I were going to get into some bigger projects at home, having a backup for when my batteries run out is a good thing but with two batteries that's never happened to me yet.

If anyone who sees this is interested for this own use let me know and I will pick them up for you, but if my research pans out, I will buy them and flip them if i can make $100. Thanks!

OH an BTW... I literally just bought one of the Milwaukee M18 Fuel impacts and it was delivered yesterday (the 2767-20 model? I think that's the model number. I sprung for the bigger one. And trying to save a few bucks, the charger I bought was a "replacement" so it didn't come with the A/C adapter so now I have to wait for that to come. :sadcry: YOU can bet I tried every Adapter in my house yesterday but to no avail) so now I really have no need for these).

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
I would buy that little 1/4 snapon air ratchet for sure. That is, if you can get it for under $100. I have that one and for it's size it has some power!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have a cordless Rigid 1/4 inch impact, that I use adapters on, and break lug nuts, CV Axle nuts, and every thing else i throw at it. They are right that in a commercial application, the cordless impacts dont hold up, but they were never designed for a commercial application. And they are now having the same problem with air guns too, since everyone is making everything so cheap.

I have had that Rigid gun for 2 years, and a Craftsman 1/2 inch for 10 years, and other than a few batteries, they have never let me down.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think my IR is 35 years old now... aside from being heavy as hell and loud it went toe for toe with the much higher rated torque wise earthquakes I have. The big thing is the anvil size and impacts per minute. Lower impacts per minute is just going to last longer. That's my observation on why most tools don't make it long term anymore. Composite cases wear, getting the biggest numbers out of things does too. Cheap, fast and reliable... you pick two imo.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
I'm sorry, but I don't see a good deal there. It's a fair price. but not a good enough deal to flip.
I didn't spend hours looking for this, this was a quick search, There were about 3 or 4 ratchets with the same part number as his FAR25A one was listed for 250, the others were less than this one.

• Sad
Reactions: Reprise

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online