any tips, tricks, secrets on replacing front axle seals?

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
As my dod delete saga continues, I have the front diff out and seems like a good time to replace the side seals. Reading through the manual it appears to me that the seals have some sort of locating tabs for the carrier side bearing adjusters. True?? Do I just pull the seals out and install new ones or is there something I should be looking out for when installing the seals? I have the K-M seal installer driver. Thanks.
Mark

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The locating tabs on the new seal are so numerous that some randomly fit into the differential recesses. So just pull the old seal, lightly grease the sides of the new seal and tap it in.
Make sure everything around the seal cavity is clean before reinstalling the seal.

Reactions: BrianF

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks. i take it the outboard seal has the fingers and the inboard one next to the oil pan does not.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Outboard has the tabs and cannot comment on the inboard. I just used a set of channel lock plyers to pull the old seal out. Don't be rough and it went smoothly.

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Diff is out of the truck. The outboard seal has the fingers and its' i.d. is larger for the inboard c.v joint. The I board seal does not have the gingers and has a smaller i.d. for the shast that goes through the oil pan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online