Any one use the Dupli-Color touch up pens

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Hey guys, I have a couple of little scratches on some panels that are starting to get worse as it ages. They come out when I wax thee truck and fade in after a couple of days, It seems more like the clear coat but there is a thin white line in it which I assume is the primer. I know the regular touch up is pretty close but I was wondering on the closeness of the pens. Thanks guys. (Yea, I know there isn't many with silver green but I'm hoping it may be close enough.)

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have used automotive touchup before. The quality of the paint is good and the color was spot on.

:iagree: I have used their rattle cans as well as paint pens. Perfect match every time, even with the metallic paints. :yes:

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
They have the correct color and code. Both rattle can and pen, I just can't justify the spray can for a couple of small scratches.

I'll check out the automotive touch up. :tiphat:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:iagree: with all. Automotive touch up is my go to when it comes to vehicle paint. I could not find my paint color being sold in any stores and just happened to stumble across the website. Paint matches great, reasonably priced, and they give you many applicator options.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I had to get one, but I have found that after 10 years the paint has faded and it looks more metalic and less tan/gold colored. So I went to a local auto parts store with a wide selection of paint colors and I was able to find a cover that matched my present faded paint better.

Christopher

Mar 13, 2016
Worcester
I've got one of the pens it matched my color spot on. Was really tricky to get the hang of using thow, don't think I ever figures out the secret to using one other than dumb luck

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Do yourself a favor and purchase the clearcoat along with the touchup paint pen. Once you apply the paint (and it cures), apply the clearcoat over top and let that properly cure. It helps to match and bring-out the metallic shine that the exterior already has. It also keeps the touchup from chipping away.

It "normally" will not be a perfect match on paint which has faded a bit over time, but surely it'll look better than the previous scratch.
...and I'm not calling you Shirley!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I have the dupli-color, and used it to take care of the little paint chips when I first got the Voy. It was a good match - I do have a dark color (graphite metallic, since renamed (?) to Spiral Gray Metallic), but the metallic factor matched up well. I do think it's easier to use touch up / hide the blemish with darker colors vs. lighter, and with a metallic vs. solid color. Has lasted well so far, but I haven't had the vehicle a year yet (I do keep it parked outdoors 100% of the time).

The current pens have the clearcoat in a reservoir on the other end - as the others have said - put that on after the base coat dries. Love the pen applicator vs. the brush - much more precise for me, at least. But it has the brush as well, IIRC, for the larger jobs.

I know my Honda-branded touch-up paint has both pen / brush - but by comparison - my S2K had a solid color (red), and I 'knew' where the touched-up places were on that car, when i had it. I 'knew' pretty much everything about that car, though :wooot:

Good luck, whichever way you go!

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I have the dupli-color, and used it to take care of the little paint chips when I first got the Voy. It was a good match - I do have a dark color (graphite metallic, since renamed (?) to Spiral Gray Metallic), but the metallic factor matched up well. I do think it's easier to use touch up / hide the blemish with darker colors vs. lighter, and with a metallic vs. solid color. Has lasted well so far, but I haven't had the vehicle a year yet (I do keep it parked outdoors 100% of the time).

The current pens have the clearcoat in a reservoir on the other end - as the others have said - put that on after the base coat dries. Love the pen applicator vs. the brush - much more precise for me, at least. But it has the brush as well, IIRC, for the larger jobs.

I know my Honda-branded touch-up paint has both pen / brush - but by comparison - my S2K had a solid color (red), and I 'knew' where the touched-up places were on that car, when i had it. I 'knew' pretty much everything about that car, though :wooot:

Good luck, whichever way you go!
It is interesting to me that you say it is easier to touch up metallic paint vs solid paint. From what I have learned that is the opposite.
I have not really used touch up pens when it comes to things like that, I usually use an airbrush for smaller areas or an automotive sprayer.
But I always thought and found it easier to touch up a solid color.

With all due respect of course.

Reactions: fletch09

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I have only used the Dupli-Color Touch-up Pen on one other occasion and had great results.

And after coming across this Thread, it reminded me that I had a few small nicks/scratches I wanted to take care of on the TB after I purchased it in July of 2015...
Screenshot_20160413-142652.png
So I picked one up.

Seeker469

May 5, 2017
USA
If you do the prep work before the pen application, you will be pretty satisfied. Simply going for it will result in horrible results. If done right, the fixed area will be almost invisible.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hi @Seeker469 , nice info but you are replying to a 4 year old thread.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I also never did it. :dunce:

• Haha
Reactions: Beacon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online